Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But that would just not be responsible.

Comment

• According to MLB.com's Joe Frisaro, Marlins GM Michael Hill told 790 The Ticket that Josh Johnson will open next season with the Marlins. The big righty has been involved in his share of trade rumors since the season ended, partly because extension talks aren't progressing and partly because he's an arbitration-eligible Marlin. So will Johnson still be on the Marlins come April?

"Yes," Hill said. "I can say with certainty, yes."

Hill knows other teams have interest in Johnson, but says he wants to build around pitching. The cost-conscious Marlins may have to consider dealing Johnson before he hits free agency after the 2011 season, but he's not going anywhere before Opening Day.
      MLBTR

Comment

• They let Mike Hill speak?

Comment

• Apparently.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
            They let Mike Hill speak?
            Hill was given GM so that he's the one that has to deal with the media, it seems

Comment

• I love this $4 million figure when lesser pitchers (Cain, Shields) make $4.25, Wainwright $4.65, and Lester $5.75.

I really would love to see the Marlins offer $4 million, Sosnick offer $5.25, and him to smite them because $4 is to low.

Comment

• Hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving, and I trust those rumors about Josh Johnson not making it to Opening Day or the Marlins "reportedly being engaged in talks" with the Red Sox about Hanley Ramirez didn't cause any unnecessary indigestion.

Was glad to hear General Manager Michael Hill squash this Tweeted notion by my colleague, John Perrotto, that the Marlins are "very willing" to move Johnson for the right package. Hill went on 790 The Ticket's new Hot Stove baseball show Saturday and, if memory serves, used the word "certainty" to characterize the probability of Johnson being on the 2010 club.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson not only throws the first pitch for the Marlins in next season's opener, but the three to follow. My understanding is the Marlins aren't going to let their distaste for the way Johnson's agent, Matt Sosnick, handled their opening round of negotiations hinder their efforts to lock up Johnson this offseason. Don't be surprised if the two sides ultimately come to terms on a deal that will keep Johnson in a Marlins uniform beyond 2011, when he's eligible to become a free agent. If and when the Marlins commit to that fourth guaranteed year, no reason why talks won't resume.

As for Ramirez, Bill Madden of the New York Daily News listed David Samson as No. 7 on his top 10 turkeys in baseball. His reasoning: "The Florida Marlins president obviously has no shame. After finally succeeding in securing a new taxpayer-funded stadium for the Marlins in downtown Miami - supposedly enabling the Marlins to have the financial means to keep their star players - Samson demonstrated he has no intention of doing that when he refused to give his best pitcher, Josh Johnson, a four-year extension. Now it also looks as if Hanley Ramirez won't ever see that new stadium in a Marlins uniform as the Red Sox, who let incumbent Alex Gonzalez go, are reportedly engaged in talks with Florida about reacquiring the All-Star shortstop."

Not sure who's reporting the Marlins and Red Sox are engaged in talks. I haven't seen that anywhere, and it makes absolutely no sense. We don't need Mike Hill or Larry Beinfest or anyone else to tell us Ramirez isn't going anywhere. Neither the Red Sox nor probably any other team for that matter could put together an attractive enough package that one, fits within the Marlins financial structure, and two, makes the Marlins better in 2010.

Even at $7 million, chances are Ramirez outperforms his contract. And speaking of contracts and payrolls, spoke with someone who's been in contact with a member of the Marlins' front office. Word is the payroll will increase slightly to about $40 million.
                http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...-of-ticks.html

Comment

• I was just about to post the Juan Rodriguez article. That makes me feel much better that that article was written by him. Juan has proven to be the best, most reliable Marlins beat reporter that we have. I certainly hope his sources are correct.

Comment

• Besides the 40M thing, he didnt really break any news, just used a little common sense

Comment

• Not sure what "to about" $40 million means, but

C John Baker $415,000
                      1B Gaby Sanchez $405,000
                      2B Chris Coghlan $410,000
                      3B Jorge Cantu $5,750,000
                      SS Hanley Ramirez $7,000,000
                      LF Cody Ross $4,200,000
                      CF Cameron Maybin $405,000
                      RF Brett Carroll $415,000
                      B Emilio Bonifacio $415,000
                      B Wes Helms $950,000
                      B Ronny Paulino $900,000
                      B “Ross Gload” $1,000,000
                      B Veteran Left Handed 1B/LF $1,000,000

SP Josh Johnson $4,500,000
                      SP Ricky Nolasco $4,250,000
                      SP Andrew Miller $2,000,000
                      SP Chris Volstad $415,000
                      SP Anibal Sanchez $1,200,000
                      RP Leo Nunez $2,000,000
                      RP Matt Lindstrom $1,650,000
                      RP Dan Meyer $415,000
                      RP Reynel Pinto $850,000
                      RP Brian Sanches $415,000
                      RP Burke Badenhop $415,000
                      RP Rick Vanden Hurk $415,000

$41,790,000

Trades - Uggla, Hermida, Amezaga

We could probably keep everybody else if it's $42, and I think we'd all be relatively happy with this team. If "to about" $40 means $39 and change, we're going to have to shed $3 million off of this team when we take into account that we replace whoever we take out with a club controlled player.

40 man roster in AAA/AA
                      Bats - Morrison, Petersen, Jai, Hayes
                      Pitchers - WEST, H. Jones, Penn, Leroux, Wood, Tucker, Tank

So if we're looking at these guys. I think it's safe to say if we're not going to start Morrison or Petersen and give them AB, they won't be on the team. Let's keep them off till they summer. I can see them stashing Jai and Hayes on the bench, but it's not their style to do that except for injury and they always keep a veteran bench. So let's leave the offense alone.

Where do we cut $3 million in pitching? These are the only candidates.

-Nunez $2 million
                      -Lindstrom $1.65 million
                      -Anibal $1.2 million
                      -Pinto $850k
                      Or Andrew Miller if you expect something crazy.

Preserving the SP is to important for me, so it's literally getting rid of one of Nunez/Lindstrom and headcase Pinto.

C John Baker $415,000
                      1B Gaby Sanchez $405,000
                      2B Chris Coghlan $410,000
                      3B Jorge Cantu $5,750,000
                      SS Hanley Ramirez $7,000,000
                      LF Cody Ross $4,200,000
                      CF Cameron Maybin $405,000
                      RF Brett Carroll $415,000
                      B Emilio Bonifacio $415,000
                      B Wes Helms $950,000
                      B Ronny Paulino $900,000
                      B “Ross Gload” $1,000,000
                      B Veteran Left Handed 1B/LF $1,000,000

SP Josh Johnson $4,500,000
                      SP Ricky Nolasco $4,250,000
                      SP Andrew Miller $2,000,000
                      SP Chris Volstad $415,000
                      SP Anibal Sanchez $1,200,000
                      RP Matt Lindstrom $1,650,000
                      RP Dan Meyer $415,000
                      RP Brian Sanches $415,000
                      RP Burke Badenhop $415,000
                      RP Rick Vanden Hurk $415,000
                      RP Hunter Jones $415,000
                      RP Chris Leroux $405,000

$39,760,000 (Keeping Nunez over Lindstrom is $40.1 million)

Traded - Uggla, Nunez, Hermida, Pinto, Amezaga

AAA/AA 40 Man
                      Bats - Morrison, Petersen, Jai, Hayes
                      Starters - West
                      Relievers - Tucker, Wood
                      Plus whatever you get for Uggla and Nunez

If we were to grab an ok middle infielder on a AAA contract and another left handed pitcher somewhere, we're good to go. Also the possibility of putting Anibal or West into the pen and have them work out of there, and then just get stretched out if/when one of the starters goes down.

I'm cool with this.

-Sign Johnson for 4, anywhere from $39-44 million is fine. If you do lower, nice
                      -Don't give Gload and a Veteran lefty 1B/LF to help out Gaby/Carroll/Bonifacio for the bench that much money
                      -Find organizational depth for the middle infield and loogys, because there is absolutely nothing behind Bonifacio and Jones here (unless Tank is healthy, but like that will happen)
                      -Make smart trades with Uggla and Nunez for as much pitching as you can get

And really, that's it.

Comment

• The thought popped into my mind but how pissed would people be if Hanley is traded and Johnson does get that 4 year extension?

Comment

• better chance Brett Carroll goes back to playing 3b

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                            better chance Brett Carroll goes back to playing 3b
                            I want him at closer.

I'm only 98% joking.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                              I want him at closer.

I'm only 98% joking.
                              They would make the mound be placed in center field and BC would get a running start to throw though.

Comment

• Ramp positive rep'd me. What a douchebag.

How about a Willingham-Carroll battery?

Let the rep's roll in!

Comment

Working...
                                X