Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Add Heineman to 40 man list. He is getting call
    If he wants to beat out Wallach, sure. I just don't see them keeping more than 1 fleeting backup catcher candidate.

A great scenario for them would be signing Holaday and/or Heineman to minor league deals and tell them they are the # 3 catcher and could get to # 2 quickly if Wallach doesn't get healthy or pan out. Those guys aren't getting a # 2 job anywhere so it's a good situation if Wallach is all that is standing in your way.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
      If he wants to beat out Wallach, sure. I just don't see them keeping more than 1 fleeting backup catcher candidate.

A great scenario for them would be signing Holaday and/or Heineman to minor league deals and tell them they are the # 3 catcher and could get to # 2 quickly if Wallach doesn't get healthy or pan out. Those guys aren't getting a # 2 job anywhere so it's a good situation if Wallach is all that is standing in your way.
      It may just be me, but I wouldn't concede anything to Alfaro. Analytics don't love his defense and the bat hasn't improved a bit under Miami tutelage. Heineman's numbers at AAA this season shouldn't be ignored, especially since Alfaro couldn't have matched them if he had spent the season at New Orleans.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
        It may just be me, but I wouldn't concede anything to Alfaro. Analytics don't love his defense and the bat hasn't improved a bit under Miami tutelage. Heineman's numbers at AAA this season shouldn't be ignored, especially since Alfaro couldn't have matched them if he had spent the season at New Orleans.
        This statement is based on no facts. Austin Dean had 1.036 OPS at AAA and a .561 OPS in the majors this year. You have no idea what Alfaro would've done at AAA.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
          This statement is based on no facts. Austin Dean had 1.036 OPS at AAA and a .561 OPS in the majors this year. You have no idea what Alfaro would've done at AAA.
          As Alfaro's performance in AAA this past season is purely theoretical, it obviously can't be based on facts. I was stating an opinion that obviously differs with yours. What a surprise!

An interesting note (to me): Dodger slugging catcher Will Smith is obviously a vastly better hitter at the major league level than Jorge Alfaro (over 1.000 OPS thus far for LA) - can all agree on that? Smith and Heineman each had 224 ab in the PCL this year. Smith hit .268, .381, and .984 OPS. Heineman hit .336, .400, and .990 OPS. How can that not be an eye-catcher to a Marlin fan?
          Last edited by Lee Stone; 09-04-2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

As Alfaro's performance in AAA this past season is purely theoretical, it obviously can't be based on facts. I was stating an opinion that obviously differs with yours. What a surprise!

An interesting note (to me): Dodger slugging catcher Will Smith is obviously a vastly better hitter at the major league level than Jorge Alfaro (over 1.000 OPS thus far for LA) - can all agree on that? Smith and Heineman each had 224 ab in the PCL this year. Smith hit .268, .381, and .984 OPS. Heineman hit .336, .400, and .990 OPS. How can that not be an eye-catcher to a Marlin fan?
            We gotta go over the age thing again?

People on this board have been wanting to trade for Will Smith for the past 3 years.

Comment

We gotta go over the age thing again?

People on this board have been wanting to trade for Will Smith for the past 3 years.
              Then people on this board should be pretty darn happy that the Marlins got Heineman for nothing. (Heineman is also a switch hitter with almost identical production from both sides this season).
              Last edited by Lee Stone; 09-04-2019, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Then people on this board should be pretty darn happy that the Marlins got Heineman for nothing.
                I like Heineman, he ain't Will Smith. Newsflash Lee, he's probably going to get around 15 ABs in September and then released in the offseason. Life's not fair for 28-year old minor leaguers, but it's the way it is. I think he's earned a legit shot to stick as a backup catcher in this league, but odds are against that happening. One thing he didn't do is turn into a top prospect at 28 years old. What he did is finally master a level he's been playing at since 2015. If he had put up a .950 OPS at AAA back in 2015 then he'd be Will Smith, but he didn't instead it was .682. Does that make sense to you?

Comment

I like Heineman, he ain't Will Smith. Newsflash Lee, he's probably going to get around 15 ABs in September and then released in the offseason. Life's not fair for 28-year old minor leaguers, but it's the way it is. I think he's earned a legit shot to stick as a backup catcher in this league, but odds are against that happening. One thing he didn't do is turn into a top prospect at 28 years old. What he did is finally master a level he's been playing at since 2015. If he had put up a .950 OPS at AAA back in 2015 then he'd be Will Smith, but he didn't instead it was .682. Does that make sense to you?
                  Absolutely not. It's the here and now. Looking ahead to the next four years, who is going to be the better overall performer, Heineman or Alfaro? Based on what he has made of himself, I'd guess Heineman. I certainly hope he sees playing time. Frankly, I think the Marlins are tying themselves to Alfaro because of the Realmuto deal. That's just plain silly.
                  Last edited by Lee Stone; 09-04-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Absolutely not. It's the here and now. Looking ahead to the next four years, who is going to be the better overall performer, Heineman or Alfaro? Based on what he has made of himself, I'd guess Heineman. I certainly hope he sees playing time. Frankly, I think the Marlins are tying themselves to Alfaro because of the Realmuto deal. That's just plain silly.
                    Based on what his 0 major league ABs? It took him 5 years to be a good AAA player, you have no evidence that he's going to be good right out of the gate in the big leagues. We've had countless examples this year of guys tearing up AAA and then doing nothing in the majors, did you just not notice any of that?

- - - - - - - - - -

Austin Dean: AAA OPS: 1.036 MLB OPS: .561
                    Harold Ramirez: AAA OPS: .999 MLB OPS: .715
                    Isan Diaz: AAA OPS: .973 MLB OPS: .519
                    Lewis Brinson: AAA OPS: .871 MLB OPS: .478
                    Rosell Herrera: AAA OPS: .845 MLB OPS: .602

These are the 5 guys who have at least 86 ABs at both AAA and the majors this year.
                    Last edited by Nick; 09-04-2019, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Yes, they have disappointed and Tyler Heineman could too. I like the low strikeout rate and willingness to take the bases on balls that he offers. To me, those are glaring deficiencies of the Marlins in general and Alfaro in particular. We shall see.

Comment

Why all the Alfaro hate? He's not Realmuto, but he's very clearly a starting MLB catcher. His OPS is 10th among all catchers this year with a minimum of 350 plate appearances. Ideally, he'd be batting 7th in a good lineup, providing 15-20 homers every year. He's the least of the Marlins concerns IMO.

Comment

I don't hate him but I dont think its "clear" he is a starting MLB catcher. His offensive WAR is among the worst at his position in the majors, he has zero plate discipline nor pitch recognition, strikes out...a lot...and he has been an extremely poor hitter even with a BABIP of. 392. Alfaros value is almost entirely his defense. He also turns 27 next year.
                          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                          Noah Perio
                          Jupiter
                          39 AB
                          15 H
                          0 2B
                          0 3B
                          0 HR
                          0 BB
                          .385/.385/.385

Comment

Jake Walters ... a name we haven't heard much. Ninth round out of Alabama last year. Last two starts for Clinton: 14 no-hit innings. In last ten starts, held the opposition scoreless in six of them.

Comment

Weird but in Batavia they got

2B-Nasim Nunez
                              SS-Dalvy Rosario

will be interesting to see Clinton next year as they have Nunez/Rosario/Osiris for 3 spots-SS/2B/CF

Comment

Jake Walters ... a name we haven't heard much. Ninth round out of Alabama last year. Last two starts for Clinton: 14 no-hit innings. In last ten starts, held the opposition scoreless in six of them.
                                Clinton's rotation is filled with College Pitchers who have struggled with injuries and are too old for Clinton, but have interesting stuff. Read, Walters, Andrews and Roberson all fall into that category. I expect them all to start at Jupiter and for the FO to possibly be aggressive with their movement through the system due to their age, maybe one of them can become an actual prospect. Also, will be interesting to see if any of them are converted to a reliever and really increase their upward mobility.

Comment

Working...
                                X