Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round 1 | Connor Scott | OF | Plant HS (Tampa FL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to know what they signed him for. If they gave him close to slot I am not a fan of the pick based on what was available. If they did what they should have and gotten a below slot number I still wish they had gotten a higher rated prospect but would be a little more understanding.

Comment

Slot Value:

https://twitter.com/JonathanMayo/sta...77905490661377

Same old shit.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
        If he wanted below slot we probably would have taken some hard signs after Rd 11. Nothing wrong with paying him slot-give Rd 7/9/10 less money and use that for Banfield. Why do u think it is weird they would give slot to a guy who was suppose to go from #9-13?

U think with our draft they need to pay him less? No one beside Banfield and maybe Pompey will get over slot
        Last edited by tjfla; 06-08-2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          If he wanted below slot we probably would have taken some hard signs after Rd 11. Nothing wrong with paying him slot-give Rd 7/9/10 less money and use that for Banfield. Why do u think it is weird they would give slot to a guy who was suppose to go from #9-13?

U think with our draft they need to pay him less? No one beside Banfield and maybe Pompey will get over slot
          From what I've been told (by you, among others) is that we signed him as an easy sign and we passed on guys due to money concerns. So we take the cheap, sure sign, and he still gets slot money that doesn't sit right with me. Also FanGraphs is the only major outlet I've seen that ranked him in that range.

Comment

WTF. I agree they are doing the same stupid shit. He wasn't ranked in any mock I saw going 9-13 other then to us closer to 20 in ones we didn't pick him. If they passed on the better players because of money and those players eventually take less then the Marlins drafting him there and for full slot value is total crap. Hill and Meek are much more involved then everyone makes them out to be.

Comment

In all honesty I believe they had already zeroed in on Scott before the draft even started. They probably just said they didn't draft the players who had dropped due to money when in reality they had no idea what they would want and didn't care because they were all in on Scott. For me this is a HUGE strike against the new ownership and whoever is actually running the team after this crap I have to believe it really is still Hill calling the shots. I am not saying they should have gotten a huge below slot deal worked out but in order to improve still one of the worst farm systems in baseball they should have been able to work something out with someone in order to acquire some top talent in this draft. If they couldn't then they should have drafted the best player available.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                From what I've been told (by you, among others) is that we signed him as an easy sign and we passed on guys due to money concerns. So we take the cheap, sure sign, and he still gets slot money that doesn't sit right with me. Also FanGraphs is the only major outlet I've seen that ranked him in that range.
                Easy sign as in we knows what he wants and probably already have a deal with him(Which from looks of it since he signed next day WE DID). Wasn't concerns about money it was we didn't think they were worth what they wanted. Why do u think guys drop and don't sign? If u tell a team u want 2 million to sign then u have to go in Rd 1. Everyone thinks this is 2010 when u could spend 20 million in the draft and sign guys in Rd 24 for 3 million. U can't anymore!!!

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
                In all honesty I believe they had already zeroed in on Scott before the draft even started. They probably just said they didn't draft the players who had dropped due to money when in reality they had no idea what they would want and didn't care because they were all in on Scott. For me this is a HUGE strike against the new ownership and whoever is actually running the team after this crap I have to believe it really is still Hill calling the shots. I am not saying they should have gotten a huge below slot deal worked out but in order to improve still one of the worst farm systems in baseball they should have been able to work something out with someone in order to acquire some top talent in this draft. If they couldn't then they should have drafted the best player available.
                They zeroed in Kelenic or Scott. Mike Hill has NOTHING to do with the draft-it was done by Denbo/Greenlee/Stan Meek. They could have taken McClanahan/Kowar for 3.5 million but didn't think either were worth it.
                Last edited by tjfla; 06-08-2018, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  Easy sign as in we knows what he wants and probably already have a deal with him(Which from looks of it since he signed next day WE DID). Wasn't concerns about money it was we didn't think they were worth what they wanted. Why do u think guys drop and don't sign? If u tell a team u want 2 million to sign then u have to go in Rd 1. Everyone thinks this is 2010 when u could spend 20 million in the draft and sign guys in Rd 24 for 3 million. U can't anymore!!!
                  We don't think that. That is exactly why we are pissed off that they draft a kid higher then he should have been. Then sign him for the full slot instead of getting some savings to apply towards the rest of the draft. If they had signed Scott for 3.5 or even 3 that would have giving us the ability to try and sign a kid or two we would not have been able to otherwise and we wouldn't be pissed off.

Watch they are going to give Osiris slot too instead of saving money like they should have been able to get by drafting him higher then he should have gone.
                  Last edited by flamarlins93; 06-08-2018, 06:12 PM.

Comment

People are talking as if this guy wasn’t slotted to go in the first. He was properly drafted in the range he was expected to go.

- - - - - - - - - -

He was simply the guy they wanted.

"I'd say anywhere in the 13 to 16 range is about right," said Plant coach Dennis Braun.
                    If Scott is selected as expected, he would be the second first-rounder in three years at Plant. Kyle Tucker was taken fifth overall in 2015 by the Astros.
                    Scott has a frame and tool package for which scouts have trouble finding comparables, which is obviously a good sign — nor is he a tools goof with no feel. In light of all that, I’m actually a little confused as to why he isn’t getting more talk in the top 10 picks. Scouts I’ve asked don’t have a clear answer for me. Tucker went fifth overall in 2015, and Scott seems to be in the 10-15 range right now on the heels of a solid spring. It’s starting to look like this may be the player on whom I’m a little higher than the industry. I’m good with that.
                    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Same agent as Jeter. Things starting to make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                        People are talking as if this guy wasn’t slotted to go in the first. He was properly drafted in the range he was expected to go.

- - - - - - - - - -

He was simply the guy they wanted.
                        Not to mention the fact that he has pitching to fall back on if things go south.

I wanted Singer, but I have no real problem with the pic
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Matthew Liberatore is expected to get 3.5mil from the Rays.

Comment

Working...
                          X