Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round 1 | Connor Scott | OF | Plant HS (Tampa FL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 1 | Connor Scott | OF | Plant HS (Tampa FL)

Discuss.

- - - - - - - - - -

6'4", 180, good understanding of the strong zone

Thome says comp is Bradley Zimmer, 70+ runner

Important to note: he is not Brady Singer

- - - - - - - - - -

Dan O'Dowd says he profiles as CF, hit 50, power 60, run 60, field 55

- - - - - - - - - -

Mayo says he reminds people of Yelich

O'Dowd mentioned that he has a hitch in his swing with his hands that will need to be fixed and watching video that's absolutely true

- - - - - - - - - -

Continuing our coverage of Monday’s 2018 MLB Draft, we switch back to the high school ranks with a look at outfielder Connor Scott, a likely first round pick.

Like many warm-weather preps, Scott has been on the radar for some time. Attending Plant High School in Tampa, Florida, Scott has been a showcase presence for several years now. Some players with this type of exposure endure “prospect fatigue” and are unfairly nitpicked. That hasn’t happened in his case. Part of that may be because he missed much of the 2017 showcase summer recovering from appendicitis, so scouts were naturally intrigued this spring to see if his skills had slipped in any way.

They haven’t.

Listed at 6-4, 180, Scott is a left-handed hitter and thrower born October 8th, 1999. His best present tool is speed, earning consistent 70-grades. However, unlike many young speed players Scott is not a slap-and-dash hitter and will show occasional power as well. There’s plenty of bat speed here and he could easily add muscle and strength as he matures physically. His feel for hitting is considered sound and ultimately he could be double-digit producer in both steals and homers with a high OBP as well.

His speed and overall athleticism show up particularly well in the outfield, combining with an above-average arm and good field reads to make him a fine center fielder. His arm is strong enough that he is also a prospect as a pitcher with a fastball that exceeds 90, although teams prefer him on the diamond every day.

Scott is committed to the University of Florida and would be an enormous asset for the Gators should he get to college. That seems unlikely at this point, with Scott projected as a mid-first round pick at least.
    https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018...-tampa-florida

- - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - -

BackgroundScott, 18, attends baseball powerhouse Henry B. Plant High School in Tampa, which produced Hall of Famer Wade Boggs, Orioles reliever Mychal Givens, and current top Astros prospect Kyle Tucker, among many others. Scott had to sit out most showcase events last summer after having his appendix removed, and so far this spring he’s hitting .520/.613/.920 with four homers, eleven walks, and four strikeouts in 17 games. He’s committed to Florida.

Scouting Report
    Naturally, Scott has drawn a lot of comparisons to Tucker leading up to the draft. They went to the same high school, they’re both good athletes with similar size (Scott is listed at 6-foot-4 and 180 lbs.), they have similar swings, and they’re both left-handed hitting outfielders. Tucker is the better pure hitter, however, though Scott is no slouch. He can drive the ball from pole to pole, and he has intriguing power potential. Scott is very good runner, which serves him well on the bases and in center field, where he is presently a good defender. Some think he’ll wind up in an outfield corner as he adds weight, but the potential to go 20-20 with above-average defense exists. It’s worth noting Scott is a two-way talent. He’s a left-handed thrower who sits in the low-90s on the mound and has a good curveball. The consensus is Scott has a brighter long-term future as a position player, so right now pitching is a fallback plan.

Miscellany
    MLB.com ranks Scott as the 18th best prospect in the draft class, Baseball America ranks him 22nd, and Keith Law (subs. req’d) ranks him 32nd. The Yankees hold the 23rd overall pick. Scott plays in the Yankees’ backyard — his high school is a 15 minute drive from George M. Steinbrenner Field and the Tampa offices — so I imagine they’ve had plenty of eyes on him this spring. The Yankees have selected similar tooled up lefty hitting prep outfielders high in the draft in recent years (Blake Rutherford and Slade Heathcott, most notably), and quality up-the-middle athletes are always in demand. Being unable to face premium high school talent in showcases last year hurt Scott’s draft stock, though with enough looks this spring, the Yankees could be convinced he’s worth their first round pick.
    http://riveraveblues.com/2018/05/2018-draft-prospect-profile-connor-scott-170277/
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

He seems like a fine pick, but it's a little frustrating when Gorman and Liberatore were on the board. He could very well end up being much better than those guys, but in the baseball draft, these guys focus on so many unimportant things, and if they let money keep them from taking a better player, that would be stupid.

Comment

Typical Marlins pick. I hope they have a deal worked out where he actually takes under slot but doubt it. I find it funny that he was the first pick that MLB trashed on air. Everyone else they liked and was a great pick but not Scott. At lease it wasn't Casas but still disappointed after seeing the amount of top player fall to them.

Comment

Hilarious. Miami's pick is the only one who is picked apart. He has a twitch in his hands ... runs on his heels. I was thinking Jarred Kelinic but he was gone very early. Would have gone with the slugger Gorman.

Comment

Should have taken a college pitcher. Maybe one of these years they'll actually do it instead of letting Quantril and Rodon/Nola being drafted behind them.

I guess they are confident with their collection of 3/4/5 SP.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
            Should have taken a college pitcher. Maybe one of these years they'll actually do it instead of letting Quantril and Rodon/Nola being drafted behind them.

I guess they are confident with their collection of 3/4/5 SP.
            I think they desperately needed to add more hitting to the prospect base. We have a very good and deep group of pitchers and I think at worst we will have like 5-7 SP types who can be rotation arms and a few who can be at least #3 guys or maybe more. If they did it for money reasons given that Singer and Liberatore are high money guys, and instead wanted to do something similar to what the astros did when they got McCullers in the 2nd round, im all for it. Lets see how the draft develops and how they spread the money. I wanted Gorman, but I like the look of Scott as a potential yelich type guy. If he can develop 20 hr type power with his great speed and good arm, i'd love an OF depth of Harrison and Brinson being (hopefully) surefire long term starters and then the 3rd guy hopefully being the development of guys like Dean, Sierra, Miller, Scott in a few years, etc.

I want to see us continue to pound hitting though. WE have so few hitting prospects in the lower minors.

Comment

FWIW, Fangraphs likes him. They had him as the 10th best player in the draft:

10 Connor Scott CF 18.7 Plant HS FL Florida
              Scott has been dogged by a couple minor injuries this spring, but his upside is arguably the highest amongst prep bats. He’s 6-foot-4, 170 pounds, with 70 speed and projects for above-average raw power and an above-average hit tool.

Comment

Mix of Yelich and Kyle Tucker. Can hit and has speed-could stick in CF

We passed on Singer,McClanahan,Gorman,Liberatore because of $$$

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                  I think they desperately needed to add more hitting to the prospect base. We have a very good and deep group of pitchers and I think at worst we will have like 5-7 SP types who can be rotation arms and a few who can be at least #3 guys or maybe more. If they did it for money reasons given that Singer and Liberatore are high money guys, and instead wanted to do something similar to what the astros did when they got McCullers in the 2nd round, im all for it. Lets see how the draft develops and how they spread the money. I wanted Gorman, but I like the look of Scott as a potential yelich type guy. If he can develop 20 hr type power with his great speed and good arm, i'd love an OF depth of Harrison and Brinson being (hopefully) surefire long term starters and then the 3rd guy hopefully being the development of guys like Dean, Sierra, Miller, Scott in a few years, etc.

I want to see us continue to pound hitting though. WE have so few hitting prospects in the lower minors.
                  Problem is no aces. They need to keep drafting them until they get a Severino, and if they all keep turning into "just" 3s those are easy trades for bats. That's how I would do it anyways. Develop pitchers, trade excess for bats, and major free agency with bats.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                    We passed on Singer,McClanahan,Gorman,Liberatore because of $$$

Are you serious?

Comment

We have an agreement in place with Scott according to Frisaro.

@JoeFrisaro
                      Following Following @JoeFrisaro
                      More
                      Am hearing the #Marlins have an agreement, pending physical, with their first-round pick, OF Connor Scott, the 13th pick overall in #MLBDraft

10:31 AM - 5 Jun 2018

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                        We have an agreement in place with Scott according to Frisaro.

@JoeFrisaro
                        Following Following @JoeFrisaro
                        More
                        Am hearing the #Marlins have an agreement, pending physical, with their first-round pick, OF Connor Scott, the 13th pick overall in #MLBDraft

10:31 AM - 5 Jun 2018
                        WOW like we called him before the draft and he gave us a good number.

Comment

Wow, it's like someone just said that we passed on superior players because of $$$. He better have been a guaranteed sign.

Comment

Was hoping they’d take Casas. Hopefully this kid pans out.

Comment

Who knows how he'll pan out but glad to see us finally signing a guy shortly after drafting him and likely having him start to play shortly. Granted Garrett and Rogers were high school arms which obviously is different than hitters, but it seems like under Loria we consistently nickled and dimed draftees until the last possible moment and waited forever to start playing them.

Comment

Working...
                              X