Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There Room for Excitement with This System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What pitchers excite you besides Fernandez?
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Comment

Heaney, Conley, Lowell, James, Brice, Hope, Urena. There might be a couple more I'm missing.

+ Turner and Eovaldi already in the big leagues but they should be mentioned if we're talking future of the team.

Also, of the players called up in September, the pitchers had way more upside than the position players.

Comment

Heaney, Conley and Urena have the most upside. But I do agree with Erick, we have "better" pitching to look forward to than hitting.
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

I always get more excited about hitting in the system than pitching.

I get really excited about the pitchers when they actually get to the majors. Until then, TINSTAAPP

Comment

Some of the pitchers I listed will probably amount to nothing but the same can be said for the hitters.

Even a guy like Realmuto, I don't see the big deal. Especially if the idea is to have him not catch anymore. What's so great about what he's done in the minors?

Also, if you ask me who I'm more excited about, I'm picking Fernandez over Yelich and it's not even close. Yelich is probably going to be that guy who disappoints fans once he gets to the big leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
              Yelich is probably going to be that guy who disappoints fans once he gets to the big leagues.
              In no means trying to start an argument here, but can you expound on this?

Comment

I think what he's trying to say is "that's so Marlins"
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                  Heaney, Conley, Lowell, James, Brice, Hope, Urena. There might be a couple more I'm missing.

+ Turner and Eovaldi already in the big leagues but they should be mentioned if we're talking future of the team.

Also, of the players called up in September, the pitchers had way more upside than the position players.
                  Not really, those are the main ones of the secondary guys/relievers. Maybe throw Caminero, Ramos, Dayton, and Reed in there too (and hatcher and jennings). They will get 2-3 pen guys out of that group. And Hand is still hanging out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                    In no means trying to start an argument here, but can you expound on this?
                    I think I'm a bit lower than most on him, so I'll try to explain why:

He strikes out a bit too much for someone with just OK power. He probably has to sustain a BABIP over .330 to hit .300.

If we're looking at a .280/.350/.450 guy, that's not a superstar corner outfielder, which is what I think most people are looking for from him.
                    poop

Comment

I think (or hope) that he'd be a number two hitter who could get on base a good amount and hit 15-20 bombs a year? Is that too much?
                      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post

He strikes out a bit too much for someone with just OK power. He probably has to sustain a BABIP over .330 to hit .300.

If we're looking at a .280/.350/.450 guy, that's not a superstar corner outfielder, which is what I think most people are looking for from him.
                        In his defense, he is 20, 6'4, and listed at 189. There is certainly some maturation and growth potential for some more power here.

Saying that, an .800 OPS would have ranked 13th for a LF last year (400 PA min), and those in front of him had some terrible WAR (cargo 1.3, ludwick 1.7, Kubel .8 lol, soriano 1.8). Those are ESPN Wars, as I know everyone likes to argue which war is better but you get the idea.

If he is going to be really positive on the basepaths and an above average defender, while maybe not a superstar, developing a 3.5+ WAR guy is certainly 5-8 overall at the position and that would be outstanding. If this is the floor on projections, I'm still really excited for him to make the jump. I agree .300/.375/.500+ land is probably unreasonable, but he doesn't need to do that to be pretty awesome.

Comment

Well, I was just talking about why he might disappoint fans. I agree, he's likely to be very valuable, but if his value comes from plus-defense in corner and plus-baserunning, while putting up ~.800 OPS, he might end up disappointing fans.

Especially because he's probably going to strike out a decent amount too.
                          poop

Comment

Yea, could be. We'll see. Although I feel 25 SB and a Tommy Hutton productive out of the week solves a lot of problems with the fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post

This is what I was going to say.

I think he can be a good player but I don't see him fulfilling top prospect expectations either.

Comment

Theres nothing wrong with just being a good player.
                                Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                                Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                                Noah Perio
                                Jupiter
                                39 AB
                                15 H
                                0 2B
                                0 3B
                                0 HR
                                0 BB
                                .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
                                X