Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There Room for Excitement with This System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There Room for Excitement with This System?

I was looking at the hitting prospects and what have you and started wondering if maybe the system isnt as berefit as one might think.

A stud CF prospect in Yelich is one thing. But it looks as if Brent Keys might be able to fill another slot in that OF in the future. He lit up Greensboro, which granted is Greensboro, but he is still young. Hopefully he can transition comfortably to Jupiter.

Jake Realmuto, with the acquisition of Brantley, could quite possibly be moved off of C. Not a sure thing, but its arguable he has the athleticism to make a switch to a MI position. Might not be a gold glover but would probably be more than adequete with proper coaching. Might help his bat over a long season if he didnt have the stress of catchng every day.

And finally Austin Barnes. Granted a bit old for the level he was at, but it was a very good year. He has been a good OBP guy since drafted and showed some pop last year, not much, but decent. His glove by all accounts is pretty good too.

So that is the makings of some good to solid position prospects, and more than one. And thats something the system hasnt had in quite some time.
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

But likely only Yelich will do anything good. The rest will be Bryan Petersens or Ozzie Martinez.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Can hope for better though.
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

How about Ozuna? He had a solid season.

Comment

Yelich isn't a CF, all the scouting reports say it was a rough year and needs to move to LF. I don't see why they wouldn't continue to develop Realmuto as a catcher. Brantly is no sure thing, and he could be a perfect compliment as a right hander regardless.

Keys and Barnes are certainly interesting but need another year to get truly excited over. I am cautiously optimistic on Ozuna (three years 20+ HR 19-20-21 and strike out rates have leveled off from lower levels).

There are a bunch of other prospects (Cox, Romero, Solorzano, Copeland, Skipworth, Canha, Perio, Jensen, Smolinksi, Nola) who all offer some legit potential as well. System is coming around a little bit.

Comment

I really like the hitting prospects in this system. I do not think we have a superstar outside of Yelich, but I think we have a lot of solid major leaguers, complimentary pieces, bench bats, trade bait guys, etc.
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Everyone loves Solarzano. He's 22 and hasn't even been to Greensboro. I don't get the hype.
              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

As a member of Everyone, I do not love Solarzano, nor do I have any idea who he is.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

I am also a proud member of everyone and this is the first I've heard of him.

Comment

I like Solorzano, he reminds me a little of Ozuna in that he could kind of creep out of nowhere to become a nice prospect
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                      I don't see why they wouldn't continue to develop Realmuto as a catcher. Brantly is no sure thing, and he could be a perfect compliment as a right hander regardless.
                      I was just meaning theres time to see if Brantly is able to hold the catching load full time and if he is there is enough time to move Realmuto to another position, where by all accounts he would have the athleticism to play about anywhere.
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

Solarzano was rated the # 7 prospect in the system pre-2012 by prospectus, Fangraphs had him 12th, I can't find BA for some reason but I am pretty sure he was 8-10 range. He's really not that out of nowhere, but they are taking their time with him and he'll be as old as college guys in Greensboro next year. Super toolsy, they always rate those guys high just in case it all comes together.

Comment

I remember Sickels writing the Yelich played a good cf and the only problem was his arm. If thas true stick him in Center the Marlins won a WS with JP's arm out there.
                          --------------------
                          Here is something he wrote pre AFL
                          Christian Yelich, OF, Marlins: Age 20, Yelich put together an outstanding campaign in High-A, hitting .330/.404/.519 with 12 homers and 20 steals. The AFL may artificially boost his power output, but he has legitimate pure hitting skills and above-average pop. He's also a good center fielder despite a fringy arm.
                          http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...watch-part-one
                          Last edited by Ralph; 10-16-2012, 09:15 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                          "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                          - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

That is cool and the first I have seen of that. I have seen weaker arm, and lacks "instincts" to track balls, but would transition nicely to LF with less ground to cover. I really remember seeing somewhere the Marlins weren't to thrilled with his CF performance, but overall still obviously love him and think he's going to hit.

It would be ideal if he could do it, as you'd imagine conceptually Ozuna would then move into LF in a perfect world longterm, but I don't see it happening. I'm sure he is going to get some major hype this offseason so hopefully some more info is put out there.

Comment

I think the pitching in the organization is more exciting than the position players.

Comment

Working...
                              X