No announcement yet.

2010 Arizona Fall League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sean West was listed as the starter for the game back on the 21st but he was scratched from that start. He has not pitched in a game since and he is not scheduled to start any of the next three games. I have no idea why. I haven't seen anything about why he was scratched. He is still listed on Phoenix's roster so I wonder if he hurt himself again. If I find out anything, I'll let you know.

Comment

10/25;

Cishek, (H, 1), 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA

Comment

10/26;

Skipworth, 1-4, 1 BB, 2 K, .273 avg
        Curry, 0-4, 1 K, .136 avg

Comment

10/27;

Curry, 1-3, 1 2B, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, .160 avg

Andrelczyk, 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1.04 ERA

Comment

Skips average is high but those K's suck. I think he's going to be another Charles Johnson.

Comment

CJ was pretty good

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ohnsch04.shtml
              Last edited by Ramp; 10-28-2010, 11:20 AM.

Comment

According to the AFL notes, Andrelczyk is scheduled to start tomorrow's game. Still no word on West.

Comment

10/28;

Skipworth, 1-3, 1 K, .280 avg

Cishek, 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 2.70 ERA

Comment

10/29;

Curry, 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 0 BB, 0 K, .207 avg

Andrelczyk, 4 IP (started), 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 2.13 ERA

Not too bad of a day for our boys. I particularly like the 7 K's for Andrelczyk.

Comment

Skipworth has homered twice today. I'll post the lines when the game is over.

Comment

10/30;

Skipworth, 3-5, 2 R, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 0 BB, 0 K, .333 avg

Comment

Kyle Skipworth is using his time in the Arizona Fall League to learn as much about the game as he can. In the Phoenix Desert Dogs' 12-6 victory over the Mesa Solar Sox on Saturday, the rest of the league learned a little about him.

Skipworth, a first-round pick by the Marlins in 2008, plated a career-high six runs and slugged his first two homers of the AFL in what he described as one of his greatest single-game performances.

"I don't think in my professional career I've ever had a six-RBI game," he said, "so this was probably my best day as a professional so far.

"Obviously I was excited to hit two home runs in a game. It's rare to hit two home runs in a game, especially for me. I think I've done it only two or three times in my life."

Skipworth, who drove in five runs for Greensboro on Aug. 30 against Savannah, says he is relishing the chance to spend time with his veteran teammates and he insists that he is learning new things every day regardless of whether the Desert Dogs (6-11) win or lose.

"People say, 'If I hit .300 that would be awesome,' but for me it is more about learning as much information as I can," Skipworth said. "I have Don Mattingly as a manager so I'm constantly asking him questions about hitting and there are so many veteran hitters on the team like Michael Taylor of the A's.

"I am also learning a lot of things from the veteran pitchers. I am using this opportunity to learn as much as I can...to be a sponge and help myself as much as possible."

More importantly from a team perspective, Saturday's victory got Phoenix back in the win column after defeats in each of its last four contests.

"It was a good game for me and a good day for the team. On days when he hit, we don't pitch and on days when we pitch, we don't hit so it's nice to end the week with a win. It was good to get out to a comfortable lead so that our pitchers could relax. We have gotten beat up this entire week so it was good to get to a place where they weren't stressed and could pitch without any worries."

Skipworth slugged his first homer of the Fall League in the fifth inning to extend the Desert Dogs' three-run lead and hit his second three-run blast of the day in the very next inning to cap a career-best performance.

"In the fifth inning, I had two strikes and I was just battling," he said. "I happened to get a changeup up and I put a good swing on it.

"Then in the sixth [inning], it was just an 0-1 changeup that stayed up. I had faced the guy once before so I knew he had a sinker, slider and a kind of split-change and the last time I faced him his sequence went sinker, change, slider. I took a first-pitch sinker for a strike so in the back of my mind I was thinking I was going to get a changeup and he left it up and I got a good swing on it."

Skipworth takes notes every time he faces a pitcher, and said that the games become easier when you can predict what pitch to expect.

"I definitely try to keep as much information on the pitchers I face as possible because I feel like the more prepared you are, the more you give yourself an opportunity for success."

"It's just been something I have been working on. It's a mental approach where I've started to sit on certain pitches in certain counts and it's starting to pay off."
                          Dogs' Skipworth has a day to remember

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                            Yeah he was. I was very young when he played but I remember him being a great defensive catcher and one of the hardest catchers to run on. Skip has those same aspects in his defensive game apparently, I hope he keeps improving.

Comment

11/1;

Curry, 0-4, 0 BB, 0 K, .182 avg

Comment

JCRMarlinsbeat: RHP Steven Cishek lone #Marlins rep in Saturday's AFL Rising Stars game. SS Ozzie Martinez (groin) and RHP Kris Harvey (shoulder) sent home.
                                /Twitter

I asked him about West, also via Twitter. No response yet. If he answers me, I'll let you guys know.

Comment

Working...
                                X