Proposal for 2008 CSBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposal for 2008 CSBC

So, since this league is for fun why not make some changes to keep more people involved?

My proposals:

A

81 Games
    24 Teams
    2 Leagues
    8 Divisions
    8 Wild Cards

B

81 Games
    24 Teams
    2 Leagues
    No Divisions
    Two Reg. season champs
    14 Wild Cards

C

100 Games
    24 Teams
    2 Leagues
    No Divisions
    NFL style play-offs (Structure with best of w.e. serieseseseses)

Thoughts?

whats wrong with the current format? It seems like everyone is pretty involved we moved pretty quick through the season. And the races were exciting. I like things the way they are but maybe i'm in the minority?
    Last edited by AdamRavs; 01-14-2010, 06:09 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

No I'm with you. Having majority of teams in the playoffs would be lame. The races are what make it good.

Something I think that might be interesting though is to change to a Split Season format. Still allows for tight races and stuff, but also would allow for higher owner interest during the season because if your team sucks the first half, you could still make the playoffs with a good second half. Like, I completely sold off my team because even if I had a good second half, I wouldn't have made the playoffs. A split season and I'd have kept my team together and see if they did better the second half.

Comment

I kinda think the current format is too long.

We've had what? 35 sim dates?

Plus I think 16 P/O teams would be more exciting.
        --------------------
        Originally posted by nny View Post
        No I'm with you. Having majority of teams in the playoffs would be lame. The races are what make it good.

Something I think that might be interesting though is to change to a Split Season format. Still allows for tight races and stuff, but also would allow for higher owner interest during the season because if your team sucks the first half, you could still make the playoffs with a good second half. Like, I completely sold off my team because even if I had a good second half, I wouldn't have made the playoffs. A split season and I'd have kept my team together and see if they did better the second half.
        I like this idea a lot.
        Last edited by Party; 01-14-2010, 06:16 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

16 is way too many playoff teams I think we have the right amount.

Comment

I also agree with the split season format. For me personally, I kind of lost interest in the second half of the year because my team started tanking. If we had done a split season, my team would have been in the playoffs because of my strong first half and would have given me something to look forward to. As it stands right now, I have no incentive to follow the playoffs since I've been out of the race for so long.

Comment

I'd prefer the split season as well.

Comment

Nny, does OOTP8 support split-season?
                --------------------
                Oh, so it appears to, interesting...
                Last edited by PitchingWinsGames; 01-14-2010, 06:35 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                CSBC Commish

Comment

I just ran a test sim with a split season

It works fine. Same amount of teams would go to the playoffs (8).

The problem is, the standings don't reset.

Like,the sim I just ran

league 1:
                  divison 1
                  100 win team
                  81 win team

division 2
                  90 win team
                  90 win team*
                  89 win team

league 2:
                  division 3
                  89 win team
                  89 win team

divison 4
                  92 win team*
                  86 win team
                  79 win team

the two teams with stars next to their names didn't make the playoffs. But I don't know the records of the first part of the season and the second part of the season. Like wise, I don't know when the cut off date is. I assume half way through? so 81 games. I'll try another season real quick

But the problem would be, for the second season, to keep track if you're in the race you would then need to calculate how many wins other teams have since it only shows total amount of wins for both sides of the season.
                  --------------------
                  So yeah, with split season, this is basically how it'd go down

After 81 games, the leaders of the TL East, TL West, BL East, and BL West all have guaranteed playoff spots. There are no wild cards, only the 4 division leaders make the playoffs.

Same thing after the last 81 games. Whoever has the best record in the TL East, TL West, BL East, and BL West during the last 81 games make the playoffs.

Then, in the playoffs, the two TL East winners face each other, the two TL West winners face each other, ect in the first round. In the second round, the TL East winner and the TL West winner face off, and the BL East winner and BL West winner face off. Then the third and final round, the BL winner faces the TL winner.

I'm not all too sure what happens in the event of a tie.

I'm also not all too sure what happens if the first half winner is the second half winner. This just happened on the sim I ran, and the second team to make the playoffs was the team that had the second best record in the first half rather than the team with the second best record in the second half. However, both also finished with the same win total.
                  Last edited by nny; 01-14-2010, 07:05 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I don't like the split season, the status quo is working.

Comment

i don't like the split season either cause your taking out the trade deadline fun and if your out then you rebuild towards next yr... there is always next yr and i believe this is working as well.

Comment

I like 16 team play-offs.

Comment

The goal of the idea of the split season isn't to replace a system that's not working but to keep the interest of the owners.

Besides, I don't see the split season as affecting the trade deadline at all. In fact, it's almost like a mini-offseason. If you're already out of the race in the first half, you could try to upgrade your current roster to try to make a run at winning the second half instead of spending weeks watching your team suck.

The split season also would eliminate one of the complaints that some people had about a sub-.500 team being able to make the playoffs. A split season would pit the best records against each other.
                          --------------------
                          Originally posted by Festa View Post
                          I like 16 team play-offs.
                          We could incorporate this into the split season as well. The division winners from each half and the wild cards (same arrangement as now) for both halves.
                          Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 01-14-2010, 08:03 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Eh, I don't think you eliminate the sub .500 teams. I think you would see more. The difference between the worst and the best teams have not fully matured 81 games in.
                            --------------------
                            Perhaps that would be the best part of a split season. Cutting the season in half increases the unpredictability of win totals.
                            Last edited by Party; 01-14-2010, 08:06 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I guess that's technically true since I finished the season with a losing record overall but would have made the playoffs by winning the first half.

I still think it would generate more interest in the owners. It also creates a new aspect to the game with owners that may rest there star players to protect them from injury if they won the first half.

Comment

Working...
                              X