• Show
Clear All

Sent.

Comment

Still need login info from:

DropKickAlex
      Erick
      Ralph
      Last edited by Mainge; 02-22-2012, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Just 3 more to go. After we get those, I'll upload the league file as soon and everyone can get their first look at the player pool. The Inaugural Draft will begin soon after that.

If you haven't downloaded OOTP 8 yet, now is the time to do so:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/ootp8/

Comment

Awesome. Do we have any idea when the draft order will be posted and the first round will begin?

Comment

Ralph sent me his, just waiting on Erick and Alex.

I'll post the draft order right after the league file is updated and I imagine we can begin a few days after that, but I'll have to talk to Moss to be sure.

Comment

Let's just make sure we get the draft going and over in a timely manor. We don't need to get stuck in that week long draft rutt.
              You know what the difference between Jeremy Lin and Tim Tebow is?... Jeremy Lin is probably a good Quarter Back.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub858 View Post
                Let's just make sure we get the draft going and over in a timely manor. We don't need to get stuck in that week long draft rutt.
                I mean, it's probably going to take a few weeks. It's an important part of the process and it's better to take the time to get it right.

That being said, I have an idea that may shave a significant amount of time off the draft if everyone cooperates.

Comment

One more to go.

Comment

I'll be gone the week of March Madness.

Comment

I now have all of the manager IDs. League file will be posted later today, as well as the draft order and the accompanying rules.

If everything goes well and no one objects, the inaugural league draft will start Monday, March 5th.

Comment

This is fantastic news.

Comment

Is the second round on Monday or just the first round?

Comment

Just the first. Second round on Tuesday, third on Wednesday, etc. We'll move to multiple rounds per day a little bit later on in the draft.

Comment

Can someone link to the post that explains to us noobs how the fuck this shit works?

Comment

Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                                Can someone link to the post that explains to us noobs how the fuck this shit works?
                                Originally posted by Branch View Post
                                The way we've done it in the past, which I think is the model we're going to stick with (notwithstanding minor variations/tweaks) is like so:

People will create their own team name/logo, with locations being doled out on a first-come/first-serve basis (though last time we had preference for people picking cities with large markets, for realism's sake). These teams will be edited into the league file in place of the actual MLB teams, and every MLB player will be dumped into free agency.

The league then needs to be tested for accuracy - accuracy sims to see how player stats play out over a whole season, with tweaks to player stats if, say, Albert Pujols only hits 12 home runs and Wily Mo Pena hits 50, to try to get the sim product as realistic as possible. After that, we have an inaugural draft.

Draft order will be determined randomly, so cross your fingers on that front. It will be a serpentine draft though, which makes up for picking late but not in the middle (). Last time we went through a full 25 rounds of MLB drafting so that everyone could have their opening day roster set, along with an additional 10 rounds of MiLB drafting (players with < 1 year of service time in the majors) so each team could handpick their top prospects as well. Players were assigned contracts using some sort of system that averaged their annual salaries and the years they were signed for, or something. I dunno. More on that later.

After the relative weirdness of the inaugural draft things settle down a bit. You can trade whoever you want for whatever you want up until the trade deadline, then only waiver trades can be made, then there's free agency in the offseason (just wait til you see how nny structures his deals!) and that brings us to the first-year player draft. In the last league, nny was kind enough to edit each draft class to reflect, for the first round or so, the actual real-life talent available for that draft class. So for 2010 or whatever, you could draft Christian Yelich if you wanted to. I dunno if he's still gonna do that or not, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. We usually only did 3 rounds for the first-year player draft, after the first 3 there was just nothing worth going through the manual process for so the rest got auto-drafted.

Hope that helps give you a sense of what to expect early on. As for version of OOTP, we're going to go with the newest version that everyone can get for free. Last time we did this, that was OOTP8. If that's still the newest free version, we'll likely stick with that - unless everyone is willing to purchase a newer version, and says so, like in a thread in this subforum. But Mainge and I doubt that, so we're sticking with free for now. As much as we'd like to upgrade, it's hard enough to get 18 interested people, let alone 18 interested people who are also willing to spend 20 bucks or whatever it costs. That's the problem you encounter when you're letting your owners manage their team through the software's GUI and not through those hokey fake team websites that I've seen other leagues use.

This post is way longer than I intended.
                                That's a good start.

Comment

Working...
                                X