Marlins Lose to Bryce Harper 5-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame: Marlins Lose to Bryce Harper 5-7

Is there a way to find out Stantons OPS in close and late situations?

I want to know what his OPS would be if he never swung at a slider again.

Comment

.488 OPS this year in 20 PA's.

.932 OPS last year.

.932 OPS for his career.

Comment

Thanks, Mainge!

Yeah, that all sounds about right.

Comment

Marlins Lose to Bryce Harper 5-7

Awful.
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

And he's going to keep getting that pitch in every single at-bat until he stops fucking swinging. It's literally the same sequence every time up. Fastball up and in to move him off the plate and then throw a slider a foot outside to get him chasing. It's awful and it's literally making Stanton play like he's Chris Carter or Mark Reynolds.

Comment

I feel like maybe complaining about his struggles with one kind of pitch is maybe a missing the forest for the trees kind of thing.

- - - - - - - - - -

Like, he's still got an .877 OPS. And a .371 wOBA. And a higher ISO than last season. He's struck out five more times this season than he would have based on last season's K% in the same number of plate appearances, which doesn't seem to me to be an issue. He's a freaking monster.

He's really, really wonderful. He also can't hit balls that are low and away, which has been true his entire career.

This seems like a weird day to overreact to this too, given the monster dong he hit. If he doesn't hit that, they don't even have a chance to win late.
              poop

Comment

I think the point is imagine how good he'd be if he stopped swinging at that pitch he can't hit that isn't a strike.

We all know how good he is. This is a dumb thing to do.

- - - - - - - - - -

He's the best. He's our franchise player. And he's on a hall of fame trajectory.

Never stop improving, though. Ya know?

It's a perfectly reasonable criticism. No one is on here saying he sucks or we should trade him or some dumb shit.

Comment

Well, he was called "literally Mark Reynolds," so I'm not sure if it's reasonable.

Like, dude has one flaw in his game. At some point, doesn't it make more sense to judge a player on who he is, not some platonic ideal of what he could be?

Like, LeBron could be a better free-throw shooter, too.
                  poop

Comment

Sure. Probably not when they're 25 though.

If he's still swinging at that pitch in 2 years, I'll be sad about it.

But still happy he's on my team.

Comment

It wasn't my intention to start Stanton bashing (in fact, I didn't even start this thread. MK7 deleted my original game thread and then he started a Post Game thread with a post I made in the game thread. Kinda weird.).

Anyway, I asked a well intentioned question. And Mainge answered it. And, it made a lot of sense. Stanton has been abysmal this season SO FAR close and late but the opposite of abysmal the previous two years.

Comment

Yeah like Hugg said let's not get this wrong, the day we signed Stanton to the extension is probably the happiest I've been as a Marlins fan outside the 2 World Series. Stanton is fantastic. It's just frustrating that he has such a seemingly fixable flaw to his game that gets exploited way too often.

Comment

LATE NIGHT WITH THE FISH is back tonight.

We'll have 7 posts in the game thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                            It wasn't my intention to start Stanton bashing (in fact, I didn't even start this thread. MK7 deleted my original game thread and then he started a Post Game thread with a post I made in the game thread. Kinda weird.).

Anyway, I asked a well intentioned question. And Mainge answered it. And, it made a lot of sense. Stanton has been abysmal this season SO FAR close and late but the opposite of abysmal the previous two years.
                            I moved all post-game conversation to this thread. Your post was post-game.
                            Originally posted by Madman81
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                            X