This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JJ Contract Extension Watch

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick is reporting that contract extension talks between Josh Johnson and the Marlins have reached an impasse, and that the righthander will not agree to a new deal with the team at all.

"Based on our conversations, there's no chance of doing a long-term deal with the Marlins," [Johnson's agent Matt] Sosnick said. "We made it clear that it was going to be this year or it wasn't going to happen. It was now or never. And the Marlins agreed."

Sosnick says that Johnson made it clear he wanted to remain with the team, "but they just weren't comfortable going to the fourth year." Marlins' GM Michael Hill wouldn't comment on the negotiations as per team policy.

The 25-year-old Johnson had a 3.23 ERA in 33 starts for the Marlins this year, making his first All Star Team. The righty earned $1.45MM in 2009, and has two more years of arbitration eligibility remaining before he hits the free agent market. Sosnick added that given his age and performance, Johnson's next contract could be worth nine figures.
    Source: MLBTR

Pathetic.

I do not like when people use words like pathetic when they lack substantial amounts of information about the goings on of everything

Comment

That was quick.

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
        I do not like when people use words like pathetic when they lack substantial amounts of information about the goings on of everything
        Based on what this article says, it is, in fact, pathetic. I don't see what would be so shocking about this, either. It's not like it's unrealistic.

Comment

Fact, eh?

Comment

Where in my previous post did I say anything was a "fact?" I'm saying that I wouldn't put it past this organization to pull some shit like this; that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by m26555 View Post
              Based on what this article says, it is, in fact, pathetic. I don't see what would be so shocking about this, either. It's not like it's unrealistic.
              Where I bolded

Comment

If this deal didn't happen because the Marlins refused to go past 3 years, then yeah, that's pathetic. But let's see what the organization has to say first (if they're going to comment at all). Sosnick isn't exactly the most trustworthy individual.

Also, if Johnson's not going to agree to an extension, just trade him now while his value's at its peak and hope the pitchers/players acquired in exchange are (1) good and (2) willing to agree to a long term extension if they're good. Approaching them at an earlier time and not low-balling them in terms of years or $ would help.

Comment

If this is true next year the teams will be lining up

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
                    Where I bolded
                    And? I said that based on what the article says, it is, in fact, pathetic.

Comment

So, based on the articles, Grienke = Marlin?

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
                        If this deal didn't happen because the Marlins refused to go past 3 years, then yeah, that's pathetic. But let's see what the organization has to say first (if they're going to comment at all). Sosnick isn't exactly the most trustworthy individual.

Also, if Johnson's not going to agree to an extension, just trade him now while his value's at its peak and hope the pitchers/players acquired in exchange are (1) good and (2) willing to agree to a long term extension if they're good. Approaching them at an earlier time and not low-balling them in terms of years or $ would help.
                        Yeah. For all we know, this could just be a bargaining chip on Sosnick's part, but like I said earlier; I would not be the least bit surprised if we did not want to go to that fourth year.

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post

More than likely we will keep him this season no matter what and trade him next offseason. Still very cheap for a pitcher of his caliber and his peak will only get higher next year can get as much if not more for him than this offseason

Comment

Mickey Mouse organization.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              More than likely we will keep him this season no matter what and trade him next offseason. Still very cheap for a pitcher of his caliber and his peak will only get higher next year can get as much if not more for him than this offseason
                              False. Because if he has an awesome year next year, he commands a much higher arbitration figure and mid market teams that could use an ace and have prospects to deal can't approach him about something like a 4/45 extension like they presumably could now. Next offseason, the starting point for any extension is higher (if he has another awesome year and is commanding like $9-10+ in arbitration and has only one club controlled year left, it's MUCH higher) and it's easier for JJ to reject an extension because he has less time before he hits the free agent market. And because of the higher extension amount and JJ's likely being less willing to agree to an extension, the potential pool of teams that would be willing to deal for him is diminished.

The potential pool of teams that could afford JJ is much lower if the Marlins wait until next year, based on what it will cost in terms of extending JJ. And the prospects the Marlins could get back may not be as good, because the team acquiring JJ is going to be paying him more money.

Also, you'd think if it comes down to Marlins want 3 years vs. JJ wants 4 years, they could work something out where the 4th year vests if JJ meets certain incentives in terms of innings pitched. But I guess that's counting on both sides to be flexible and reasonable, which may be too much to ask when Loria and Sosnick are involved.
                              Last edited by wanks1212; 11-20-2009, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X