Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dim View Post
    I remember the Winter Meetings a few years ago when the Rangers put an offer of Feliz/Smoak on the Marlins desk for Josh Johnson and fans had a conniption that the Marlins didn't consider the trade. Funny how times change.

Anyway, I have no idea what happened to Feliz in 2015, but he was definitely an acceptable reliever last year. The upside with Feliz is very high given he's just 28 years old and was once an elite level closer. Depending on the price Feliz is an excellent option to look into.

I get the Marlins thinking. The reliever market is much stronger this offseason than the starting pitching market. That said I'll reiterate what I've said before and agree with lou that the team should still look into trading Ozuna/Ramos/Dietrich to get a real starting pitcher this offseason.
    Ya if it is the Feliz from Texas I jump on him. Issue is its likely NOT. The FO has this issue that they like guys whether they are Top Prospects or burnouts. They tried to get the Yarbrough kid from LAA a few years ago and couldn't,he has flamed out and we took a shot on him again today

By way Chapman deal was 11 mil Signing Bonus and 15 mil a year. Pretty easy decision for Chapman cause no chance Jeff is giving signing bonuses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
      Benched has all the late breaking news.

I'm just messing around, Benched!

I just saw it. Therefor it just happened

Comment

• Just saw Colorado is going after Mark Trumbo now. WTF is that franchise doing? I understand you can never score enough runs but there pitching has been not only bad, but abysmal, for how many years now? And do they have anyone else besides Gray?

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
          I remember the Winter Meetings a few years ago when the Rangers put an offer of Feliz/Smoak on the Marlins desk for Josh Johnson and fans had a conniption that the Marlins didn't consider the trade. Funny how times change.

Anyway, I have no idea what happened to Feliz in 2015, but he was definitely an acceptable reliever last year. The upside with Feliz is very high given he's just 28 years old and was once an elite level closer. Depending on the price Feliz is an excellent option to look into.

I get the Marlins thinking. The reliever market is much stronger this offseason than the starting pitching market. That said I'll reiterate what I've said before and agree with lou that the team should still look into trading Ozuna/Ramos/Dietrich to get a real starting pitcher this offseason. I am fine with them putting up a high value on Ozuna and if team's don't match it holding onto him. Ramos should be traded though. His value will never be higher.
          Ramos should've been traded last year instead of Capps. And the fact they haven't even put his name out there makes me worried they are gonna keep both him and Jansen. And as I said the asking price on Ozuna was apparently astronomical. If we sign Jansen and don't trade at least Ramos, I have a major problem with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            Just saw Colorado is going after Mark Trumbo now. WTF is that franchise doing? I understand you can never score enough runs but there pitching has been not only bad, but abysmal, for how many years now? And do they have anyone else besides Gray?
            Get Trumbo,Desmond to the OF and trade a OF(if u can't tell the market is nuts right now)Blackmon to St Louis/Texas for SP. Actually pretty smart move

Ozuna asking price isn't astronmical because they wont even discuss him with teams

Comment

• From a FanGraphs writer:

[tweet]806931807811710980[/tweet]

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                Get Trumbo,Desmond to the OF and trade a OF(if u can't tell the market is nuts right now)Blackmon to St Louis/Texas for SP. Actually pretty smart move

Ozuna asking price isn't astronmical because they wont even discuss him with teams
                Why wont we even discuss him with teams when Samson's go to line is always something to the effect of no one is untouchable? Not to mention it's stupid not to at least see what you could get.

Comment

Why wont we even discuss him with teams when Samson's go to line is always something to the effect of no one is untouchable? Not to mention it's stupid not to at least see what you could get.
                  My reason for saying that was early in the offseason Twitter had multiple sources saying we wanted WAY too much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Benched View Post
                    My reason for saying that was early in the offseason Twitter had multiple sources saying we wanted WAY too much.
                    Ok well i'm kind of ok with that then. I really wish we would combine a few of these pieces we have though and try to acquire another SP through trade though. Not combined, but some combination of Ozuna, Dietrich, Hech, Bour, Ramos, etc could definitely get us a quality SP, and if we are proactive and hurry we can easily replace a bat with a free agent signing if a trade leaves a hole in our lineup.

Comment

Ok well i'm kind of ok with that then. I really wish we would combine a few of these pieces we have though and try to acquire another SP through trade though. Not combined, but some combination of Ozuna, Dietrich, Hech, Bour, Ramos, etc could definitely get us a quality SP, and if we are proactive and hurry we can easily replace a bat with a free agent signing if a trade leaves a hole in our lineup.
                      This is exactly what I thought headed into the offseason. They apparently went in a very different direction

Comment

• And man, I knew Chicago cleaned up at the winter meetings, but I didnt realize they got the number 1 and 3 rated prospects in baseball as well as 4 of the top 38 on mlb.com's list. That's insane and doesnt include all the pieces they got for those guys. Adam eaton is good, but im sorry he is not worth the number 3 prospect in baseball and another top 40.

- - - - - - - - - -

There's got to be an AL team who could use Hech's fielding at SS and doesnt mind slotting him in 9th in their order right? Him combined with someone has got to have at least some value I would think, as bad as his bat is.

Comment

• Rosenthal just said if we don't get Jansen we could go after EE.

Comment

• Originally posted by Benched View Post
                            Rosenthal just said if we don't get Jansen we could go after EE.
                            That would be awesome IMO. If we're giving up a first round pick, give me a legitimate middle of the order bat that we've needed for a while. EE and Hammel/Fister and Uehara and I would love that offseason, even if we do give up our first. That would also give Stanton legit protection in the lineup and our lineup would be deep as hell. Also would allow us to trade Bour i guess or at the very least have a great power bat off the bench.

Dee
                            Yelich
                            Stanton
                            EE
                            Ozuna/PRado
                            Ozuna/Prado
                            Realmuto
                            Hech

That is an actual contending lineup. I wish Dee was a capable fielder at SS and we could slide him there and Dietrich an everyday 2b, but I trust what you guys said during the season about him being a complete liability at SS. I dont think it would be the end of the world and the marginal increase of Dietrich's bat in the lineup everyday over Hech's is worth the marginal decrease of Hech's glove to Dee's glove, but getting EE is good enough for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              Because when Chicago made the offer and got a yes they all probably ran to send the trade in and didnt dare to call Washington again until it was announced. Its like when u commit a crime,u don't go back to watch it u wait a day or 2. Either that or Washington just wants to get robbed again HAHA.
                              Apparently Washington did ask and Chicago said no, so now they're revisiting it separately.

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                              Just saw Colorado is going after Mark Trumbo now. WTF is that franchise doing? I understand you can never score enough runs but there pitching has been not only bad, but abysmal, for how many years now? And do they have anyone else besides Gray?
                              Hit enough to overshadow the pitching woes?

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                              I have a sticky note on my desk where I wrote out a few weeks ago that exact scenario:

Trade Ozuna+ to Cleveland or Tampa for a pitcher; sign one of Cespedes/Fowler/Desmond/Reddick to replace Ozuna; sign either Napoli/Holliday, could either keep Bour or trade him+ for a pitcher; sign Melancon. Yeah its a lot of money there, but that rounds everything out.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                                Apparently Washington did ask and Chicago said no, so now they're revisiting it separately.

Hit enough to overshadow the pitching woes?

I have a sticky note on my desk where I wrote out a few weeks ago that exact scenario:

Trade Ozuna+ to Cleveland or Tampa for a pitcher; sign one of Cespedes/Fowler/Desmond/Reddick to replace Ozuna; sign either Napoli/Holliday, could either keep Bour or trade him+ for a pitcher; sign Melancon. Yeah its a lot of money there, but that rounds everything out.
                                Ya, I was thinking Cleveland or Tampa as a trade partner for Ozuna for a starter as well. I feel like Ozuna's value is not nearly as high as we think it is though. He was fairly horrific in the 2nd half. But if we trade him and Ramos now and just slot Dietrich in left and Yelich in center, that could work.

Comment

Working...
                                X