Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Benched View Post
    Rosenthal just said if we don't get Jansen we could go after EE.
    I don't dislike that idea on a short term deal (as I don't know how long he'll hold up playing 1st every day). As his market drags out, his price tag/years are likely to come down too.

Comment

• One thing about EE that scares me a little would be going over 3 years with him. Great hitter but at this point he is 33 and he had by far a career high in K's last year even if it also accompanied a career high in BB's. But as far as a pure impact middle of the order bat that would not require us giving up anything besides salary, i'm all about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
        I don't dislike that idea on a short term deal (as I don't know how long he'll hold up playing 1st every day). As his market drags out, his price tag/years are likely to come down too.
        Wouldn't be bad if we could get him on a 2-3 year deal. If he wants more than that I pass.

Comment

• What have been his reported offers from different teams thus far? Do we know? And ya his 1b fielding is pretty abysmal but so is Bour so hey, whatever. That actually might drag his price down a little which could help.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, I remember EE in Cincy and he was alright, but does anyone know any reason why he suddenly exploded in Toronto? His home road splits over the past 3 years going off ESPN's numbers are a little concerning, granted he was still a mid. 800's OPS guy on the road, but not the .900+ OPS guy he was during home games.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            One thing about EE that scares me a little would be going over 3 years with him. Great hitter but at this point he is 33 and he had by far a career high in K's last year even if it also accompanied a career high in BB's. But as far as a pure impact middle of the order bat that would not require us giving up anything besides salary, i'm all about that.
            He was a replacement level fielder exactly last year and the year before based on RAA. I'm down for that if he's contributing 4 wins in WAR.

Comment

He was a replacement level fielder exactly last year and the year before based on RAA. I'm down for that if he's contributing 4 wins in WAR.
              I'm fine with that too. I was just going based off of ESPN's DWAR on his page.

Comment

One thing about EE that scares me a little would be going over 3 years with him. Great hitter but at this point he is 33 and he had by far a career high in K's last year even if it also accompanied a career high in BB's. But as far as a pure impact middle of the order bat that would not require us giving up anything besides salary, i'm all about that.
                Exactly. Max 3 year deal, with an opt out after year 1 or 2.

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                What have been his reported offers from different teams thus far? Do we know? And ya his 1b fielding is pretty abysmal but so is Bour so hey, whatever. That actually might drag his price down a little which could help.
                A month ago, he/his agent were looking for 5/$125, AAV of $25/year.

The Blue Jays offered him 4/$80, AAV of $20/year, which he turned down.

I haven't read any other offers since then. He won't be going back to the Blue Jays, with them signing Morales/Pearce. The Yankees don't need him with Holliday; Astros got Beltran; Rockies got Desmond. Those are the teams that have been rumored to be in on him. It's said Cleveland was in on him, but they were far apart. Texas has said they don't have the money for him.

Cespedes signed the 3/$75 deal last year with the opt out after year 1. We're right now potentially budgeting $16-17/year to Jansen. Assuming we don't sign Jansen, could EE bite at 3/$51, 3/$60 max with an opt out after year 1?
                Last edited by rmc523; 12-08-2016, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• Ya, no shot i go 5 years with him, but even 4 years is a lot. I'd offer him more money per year over 3 years and hope he takes it rather than a lesser value per year and more years.

Comment

• Hell, go for broke and sign both Jansen AND Encarnacion.

Comment

Hell, go for broke and sign both Jansen AND Encarnacion.
                      Not knowing how the draft pick configurations work in that case, i'd be ok with that if we got both of them. My main objection is signing Jansen as our main offseason addition and giving up a draft pick to do so. For both? I'm ok with that.

Comment

Not knowing how the draft pick configurations work in that case, i'd be ok with that if we got both of them. My main objection is signing Jansen as our main offseason addition and giving up a draft pick to do so. For both? I'm ok with that.
                        We'd lose the first round pick for Jansen, and then our second round pick for Encarnacion. (or vice-versa, depending on who signs first).

Comment

We'd lose the first round pick for Jansen, and then our second round pick for Encarnacion. (or vice-versa, depending on who signs first).
                          I'd be fine with that as long as we would get another SP or make a trade for a SP too. But ya this will never happen so it doesnt really matter.

Comment

dude, fuck draft picks. a couple of draft picks are not restocking this threadbare farm system. if this is one of those rare times when the owner is willing to go for it to try to compete, you absolutely should welcome it with open arms.

if you want them to restock the farm system you should be hoping for a full and complete fire sale of all major league talent.

if not, this is your best option. asking the team to change the whole way it operates and start acting like a real franchise is not realistic.

Comment

• I'm fine 4/$80 or whatever for EE. It's not like that will prevent the team from doing anything. Jeffrey will trade everyone or sell the team. It'll be fine.

They could easily trade Bour for some sort of controllable pitcher, especially if bundled with Ramos if the team does go out and sign Kenley, or more realistically Feliz.

Any of that is only good news.

Comment

Rosenthal just said if we don't get Jansen we could go after EE.
                                Where did he say that? It's not on twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X