Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Your Definition of a #1, #2, Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Your Definition of a #1, #2, Etc.

Curious

I generally go with

sub-3.50 ERA = #1
    3.50-4.00 = #2
    4.00-4.30 = #3
    4.30-4.70 = #4
    4.70+=#5

With 4.30 being basically the average ERA

I base it on many factors, ERA weighing heavily.
    Record when He pitches: 3-2

Comment

WHIP:

#1: < 1.20
      #2: 1.20 - 1.30
      #3: 1.30 - 1.40
      #4: > 1.40

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonCane View Post
        WHIP:

#1: < 1.20
        #2: 1.20 - 1.30
        #3: 1.30 - 1.40
        #4: > 1.40
        I've come to dislike WHIP as a stat. It's the equivalent of only looking at OBP for a hitter while completely ignoring SLG.

I mean, far from bad, you have a good WHIP then you are a good pitcher, but not something to use in a vacuum.
        Last edited by nny; 10-11-2009, 11:16 PM.

Comment

In this case, though.... and because of WHIP's strong correlation with ERA, I think it works just fine
          CSBC Commish

Comment

I can't quantify it with any statistics because I think every stat ends up being super fluky at some point. It's totally subjective for me, so I wrote down Marlins players and leaguewide players that fit these descriptions in my mind.

A number one is a guy that I know has the stuff and demeanor to, and past history of, keeping the team in every game. He's the guy I think could win 30 games if he always got decent run support. Not every team has one. I feel confident 100% of the time when the #1 is on the mound. Josh Johnson. 90s Kevin Brown. You know who else in baseball fits here.

A number two is a guy who has solid stuff* and generally pitches extremely well and keeps the team in the game but is prone to unraveling every now and then which leads to a few losses. (*His stuff might not be the best or overpowering, but he finds ways to win.) I still feel confident 100% of the time the #2 starts the game, but I'm a little wary. Your #2 is usually a guy you think could be a solid #1 if he ever got his shit straight and was consistent all the time and/or didn't get injured. Nolasco is a #2 to me and a perfect reason why I don't use statistics to quantify this. Josh Beckett (except in the postseason, where he's a #1) is a good example of the type that just needs to take that next step to be a #1. I think John Lackey is a #2.

A number 3 has solid stuff and shows flashes of brilliance every now and then. You feel like you can win if your offense puts up 4 or more runs and he doesn't get into a rut at any point in the game. Your confidence in the win is usually based on the matchup and how the hitters have been, but you're generally confident ~70% of the time. Brad Penny. Ted Lilly.

A number 4 is a hit or miss guy. He's the guy that at the end of the year has double digit wins and loses and a W% close to .500 with an ERA in the 4's. You know that sometimes you'll get a really solid outing out of him, and sometimes he'll be awful. To me, the perfect number 4 is an innings eater because he's the guy you don't feel the need to protect his arm because he doesn't have super solid stuff or the potential to become a #1-3 and because he could save your bullpen for when the #5 pitches. Think Livan Hernandez, 1998-2008. Steve Trachsel always epitomized a #4 in my mind.

And a number 5 is a guy that doesn't hurt you. Probably should give you an ERA around 5. You know these guys.
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

For me, that true #1 brings strong K/9 too.

Just generally, I think what sets a #1 apart from everyone else is that not only does he keep runners off base, but he can take over a game by himself and just flat out dominate the other team's offense. Thus, I see WHIP and K/9 as probably the two I'd most like in terms of simple stats. I'm sure there's something crazy out there that brings the two together, but I don't know it. I do think there's more to this than just WHIP and K/9, like HR's allowed (continuing to feed into the "dominate the game" category) and on the periphery ERA, but for me, I think it probably boils down to WHIP and K/9 as those others are on the periphery.

For me, I think a true #1 has a WHIP below 1.2 (as CC shows above) and a K/9 around 8.5 or greater plus the solid peripheral stuff, like a low homer total. Basically, I just want a #1 to take the other team's offense out of it's comfort zone, and striking guys out and not allowing the long ball does that.

Comment

So, is Brandon Webb a #1 in your book?

Heck, Halladay's k/9 isn't even in the 8 range (thought it's been getting closer in recent years)

Obviously, these guys are ground ball pitchers, and I think that helps negate the need for k's, obviously, but still.
                CSBC Commish

Comment

Working...
                X