2009 AL/NL Awards Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 AL/NL Awards Discussion

Joe Mauer is the first catcher ever to win the OBP and SLG% title according to MLBN.

I think he should be the AL MVP.

I also like that Lincecum guy for Cy Young, but it will most likely do to Wainwright.

As far as AL CY goes, I remember reading that a guy hasn't won it in the last 50 years without being in the top two of both ERA and wins. That leads me to believe King Felix will get it, although it should probably go to Greinke.

Comment

The case for Zack

This one’s pretty easy, and steeped in statistics and anecdotes.

Greinke’s 2.16 ERA is the best in the American League by a third of a run, and the lowest since Boston’s Pedro Martinez in 2000. There are five seasons since the 1994 strike that an AL pitcher has led in ERA by a third of a run with 200 innings, and all five won the Cy Young.

Greinke has by far the best statistical case, leading the league in ERA and walks and hits per innings pitched, and ranking second in strikeouts, strikeouts per walks, “quality starts,” shutouts, complete games and batting average against. He’s also last in run support while pitching in front of what advanced metrics rate as the league’s worst defense and a bullpen with the highest ERA.

It’s been written before, but outside of poisoning his food, it’s hard to think of how Greinke’s teammates could have helped him less.

Greinke had a 2.35 ERA in his no-decisions — that’s lower than anybody else’s overall ERA. Put another way, he has nine starts where he’s given up a total of 10 runs without getting a win.

There are some notions that Greinke hasn’t faced good enough competition, a silly thought when you consider he went 7-4 with a 1.50 ERA against winning teams.

Actually, Greinke has been so dominant this year that the real question shouldn’t be whether he’s the best pitcher in the league — of course he is — but to where his season ranks historically.

Here is the list of pitchers who have matched Greinke’s totals in innings, strikeouts and adjusted ERA+, which takes into account league and ballpark factors: Walter Johnson, Bob Gibson, Ron Guidry, Dwight Gooden, Martinez and Roger Clemens.

Or, you can always go to Eric Wedge. He managed the AL’s last two Cy Young winners with Cleveland, and he called Greinke’s 15-strikeout demolition of the Indians in August the best game he’d ever seen pitched in the big leagues.

It was a good game, to be sure. But, depending on how you judge, it’s just the sixth-best game he pitched this season.
      http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1492136.html

I don't usually get into the postseason awards, but I'm gon be pissed if he doesn't win it after seeing those comparisons.

Comment

It would be nice if the writers look past WINS, the most all-encompassing stat of all time.

Comment

AL MVP Joe Mauer
          NL MVP King Albert

AL Cy Young Greinke
          NL Cy Young Wainwright, Carpenter, or Lincecum (all 3 are deserving). Of the three i would go with Carpenter.

AL ROY Andrew Bailey
          NL ROY Cogs

AL Manager Don Wakamatsu (but Mike Scioscia will win it)
          NL Manager Jim Tracy

no big shockers
          I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac!

Comment

Wouldn't it be hard for you to be shocked by your own predictions?

Comment

why no Jeff Niemann for ROY

Comment

I would have no problem with Niemann winning ROY, i just think Bailey was better.
                I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac!

Comment

CC for ROY
                  Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                  Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                  Tom Koehler(4-0)
                  AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

AL MVP: Mauer
                    NL MVP: Pooholes

AL CY: Greinke (total injustice if he doesn't win it)
                    NL CY: Lincecum (less injustice if he doesn't win it, wainwright and carpenter are hella cool too)

AL ROY: Bailey
                    NL ROY: Coghlan (but he won't win it, it'll go to Happ 'cause his team made the playoffs lolzo)

AL MOY: Scioscia
                    NL MOY: Tracy
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I think the fact that Carpenter is viewed as a 'comeback kid' will seal it for him.

Comment

AL Gold Gloves:

Joe Mauer
                        Mark Buerhle
                        Evan Longoria
                        Derek Jeter
                        Placido Polanco
                        Mark Teixeira
                        Adam Jones
                        Torii Hunter
                        Ichiro Suzuki

Comment