Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American League: 2009 ALDS: New York Yankees V. Minnesota Twins, NYY Wins Series 3-0

Eastern Division Champion | Central Division Champion

Last edited by Party; 10-06-2009, 10:13 PM.

The Yankees were losing, but now they're winning, the should start losing again.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

That Derek Jeter fella is pretty alright

Comment

Yard

Comment

I like how the Stadium was kind of in shock ARod came through. There wasn't that roar when it left his bat. I think most people were screaming "what? no! WITH TWO OUTS? I WENT TO GET A BEER!!!!!"

I bet the concession lines were rocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
            That Derek Jeter fella is pretty alright
            "Definitely the best right handed player of the 90's-00's."
            poop

Comment

"Bowl eligibility, here we come." -Regarding FIU

Lame.

Comment

He probably is.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                  "Bowl eligibility, here we come." -Regarding FIU

Lame.
                  There is another thread about FIU Golden Panthers football, Mainge. This is about the New York Yankees V. Minnesota Twins ALDS series, which the New York Yankees currently lead 1 game to none. I understand your confusion, but please try to stay on topic.
                  --------------------
                  Originally posted by Swift View Post
                  He probably is.
                  I brought it up because I actually want to hear your reasoning, and you never responded in the original thread where you said it.
                  Last edited by Bobbob1313; 10-07-2009, 11:31 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                  poop

Comment

When his career is finished, you're looking at the preeminent right hander from the 90's-00's.

He'll be a guy with 3,200ish career hits, a .300ish career average, near 2,000 runs scored, a career OBP north of .350 (he's at .388 right now) at least one major award (RoY) a dozen or more all-star appearances, multiple gold gloves (3 in a row), at least 4 world series titles with at least one WS MVP, close to 300 homers and 600 doubles, and on and on.

In the pre-Pujols steroid era, I can't think of another right hander that comes close to those numbers. Piazza? He has less career hits now than Jeter and a lower career OBP. Sheffield? I'll argue to the death he's a Hall of Famer, but he's not going to get 3,000 hits, and he doesn't have a career .300 average any more. ARod? Absolutely, but what do the steroids do to this discussion?

My point is simply this: when you consider what Jeter is and don't punish him for not hitting homers, he's going to be top-20 all time or better in most of the career categories he's expected to excel. Hell, he might even be top 10 in some (runs, hits). I know it's been the chic thing to consider Jeter overrated, but he's been regarded as overrated for so long now he's terribly underrated.

Comment

All of those things are nice. It reinforces the notion that I think I put forward in the previous discussion that he is the Pete Rose of his era. Did a lot of things really well for a really long time, but he wasn't on the same level as a player as a Manny Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez, Gary Sheffield, or others.

Yeah, hits are nice. Runs scored are nice. He's not Manny Ramirez. The main reason is because Jeter doesn't hit home runs. You can't just ignore that he's got moderate power in a power era, because that lowers his value significantly.

Like Pete Rose, he's racking up hits and runs and doubles and playing on World Series and making all star games. He was the anchor of a dynasty, but he was never the best player on that dynasty (Maybe each player had one year where they were the best player of that dynasty).

But you absolutely cannot discount the lack of home runs when discussing him amongst the pantheon of best hitters of his generation. We're talking about putting Jeter up against guys who hit 400+ home runs with .300+ averages and .400+ OBPs. It's nice that he has a lot of hits, but you can't discount that other people with maybe less hits were more efficient with those hits.

We're talking about different types of players, of course. Jeter is not the middle of the order power guy, but those guys tend to be better hitters.

I would personally put Manny Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez, Frank Thomas, Jeff Bagwell, and maybe Vlad Guerrero and Mike Piazza above him. He's definitely top 5 of his era, maybe top 5. But the lack of power really hurts him when you are comparing him to the greats.
                      poop

Comment

Solid first inning for AJ.

Comment

Lez go AJ

Comment

If I'm Girardi, this is AJ's last batter...
                            --------------------
                            And there's the triple
                            Last edited by Swifty; 10-09-2009, 06:55 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

WTF, i thought Arod stopped being good just because the playoffs started

Comment

Working...
                              X