Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American League: Blue Jays Fire Ricciardi

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4528183

TORONTO -- The Toronto Blue Jays fired general manager J.P. Ricciardi on Saturday, ending an eight-year tenure marked by an inability to get past the Yankees and Red Sox and into the playoffs.

"This was a tough decision and a difficult one for me personally as I have enjoyed J.P.'s friendship and his perspective on the game," said Paul Beeston, Toronto's acting president and CEO.

"J.P. has put an incredible amount of effort into improving the team and he has brought along a number of great young players," Beeston said. "However, I feel that it is time for a change and accordingly we have decided to move on."

Alexander Anthopoulos, the team's vice president of baseball operations and assistant GM, has been named Ricciardi's replacement, the Blue Jays said in a release announcing the change.

Ricciardi, who was also senior vice president of baseball operations, joined the Jays in 2001 and had one year left on his contract. The team posted four winning seasons and four losing ones under Ricciardi, never making the playoffs in an AL East dominated by New York and Boston.

Ricciardi was criticized for poor free agent signings and off-field missteps that overshadowed some productive drafts and other good moves.

The Blue Jays (75-85) are finishing out their regular season in Baltimore.

Ricciardi's firing comes on the heels of news of locker-room unrest with manager Cito Gaston.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

No thread about towers? that's the one I'm more wow about

Wonder if he'd end up in TOR?

who all has open gigs

Comment

anyone else think he mishandled the roy halladay sweepstake?
      Originally posted by Matt Wilson
      Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
      Tom Koehler(4-0)
      AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

absolutely he did

also fuck kevin towers, i don't know how he kept his job for so long
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Fish and Chips View Post
          anyone else think he mishandled the roy halladay sweepstake?
          everyone thinks this

Comment

Working...
          X