2013 MLB Season Game Thread: August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
    This is very random but I was thinking, baseball is the only sport where a form of scoring isn't universal. Each ballpark homerun is different where the 3-pt line in NBA is the same distance. I wonder why, in the beginning, they chose to have it like this. How they allowed teams to have a hitters park or a pitcher's paradise.
    In soccer, the goals are the same size but the fields can vary. FIFA rules give minimum and maximum widths (50-100 yds) and lengths (100-130 yds). Those ranges are compressed for international matches (Width: 70-80 yds; Length 110-120 yds).

Comment

• MLS

Chicago 120x75
      Colorado 120x75
      Columbus 115x75
      D.C. 110x72
      Dallas 117x74
      Houston 115x70
      Kansas City 120x75
      LA/Chivas 120x75
      Montreal 120x77
      New England 115x75
      New York 120x75
      Philadelphia 120x75
      Portland 110x74
      Salt Lake 120x75
      San Jose 115x74
      Seattle 114x74
      Toronto 115x74
      Vancouver 117x75

Comment

• That's bizarre. Crazy Euros.
        This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

This is very random but I was thinking, baseball is the only sport where a form of scoring isn't universal. Each ballpark homerun is different where the 3-pt line in NBA is the same distance. I wonder why, in the beginning, they chose to have it like this. How they allowed teams to have a hitters park or a pitcher's paradise.
          All cricket pitches vary (the wicket as the diamond is consistent in length and width), Chelmsford (a professional team's ground) used to have a tree within the playing field it only went a few years ago. I think rugby pitches do vary especially in width.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis

Comment

• [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf6hsxsWczQ[/ame]

Spoiler:
              19 pitch at bat
              Last edited by HUGG; 08-24-2013, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• Spoiler alert!

Comment

• I fixed it, too late for you though. :-/

I liked when the batter started laughing at one point.

Comment

• Phils/D'Backs

:mjpop
                    --------------------
                    Wells throwing GAS, boys

#18thinning
                    --------------------
                    For the first time in my life I'm rooting for the Phillies to score runs
                    Last edited by Namaste; 08-25-2013, 12:53 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Adam RubinVerified account
                      ‏@AdamRubinESPN
                      Sandy: Matt Harvey examined for "forearm tenderness." Confirms partial tear of UCL. In all likelihood going on DL. Possible done for season
                      Tommy John is a possibility.
                      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Tommy John is a possibility.
                        Yuck. Feel bad for him. I like watching him pitch. They need to keep an eye on Fernandez now

Comment

• Pretty awesome quote by Puig:

“I’m happy, Hanley [Ramirez] is happy, Uribe looks scared. What an ugly face my friend Uribe has. But I love him.”

Comment

• John Buck to the Pirates along with Marlon Byrd

Comment

• How many crowns can one man wear? If said man is Miguel Cabrera, the answer is "however many he pleases." But six would do in 2013.

As Ted Berg at For The Win points out Miggy is in contention not just for his second consecutive Triple Crown, but also the unofficial "Sextuple Crown." Both of these are ridiculous feats. No one has ever won two consecutive Triple Crowns. And only five other players have accomplished the "Sextuple Crown," which is just as sexy as its name suggests.

It is leading the league in the three Triple Crown statistics — homers, batting average and RBIs — and also hits, on-base percentage and slugging percentage. If there were a statistic measuring the baddest dude around with a baseball bat, Miggy'd win that too.

[Also: Matt Harvey's injury an inevitability for today's pitchers]

(Getty Images)
                              The other "Sextuple Crown" winners are Nap Lajoie, Ty Cobb, Rogers Hornsby, Chuck Klein and Carl Yastrzemski, each one of them a Hall of Famer. Yastrzemski is the last player to win achieve the Sextuple, which he did in 1967. Until Cabrera's 2012 campaign, that was the also the last Triple Crown in MLB.
                              So what does Miggy have to do to win both of these awards? His main obstacle is home runs. He trails Chris Davis of the Baltimore Orioles, 46-43. But Cabrera has hit 11 in August to Davis' eight, putting the AL home-run lead well within his reach. Miggy leads the AL (and all of baseball, actually) in the other five categories.

If we're looking at just the Triple Crown, Cabrera has a really good shot if he can catch Davis in homers. Barring injuries, of course. He is 12 RBIs ahead of Davis and 29 points better than Mike Trout in batting average.

The main takeaway here? Miguel Cabrera is so good we have to invent awards for him to win.
                              http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...190229351.html

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X