Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National League: Johan Santana is Going to Get His Elbow Checked

Per Fip in the series preview thread.

Santana and the Mets agreed Friday to a $137.5 million, six-year contract extension, a record for a pitcher and the last major step needed to complete the team's blockbuster trade with Minnesota.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3226412

Good to know he got that extension

Comment

Over/under 10 days before he visits Dr. Andrews and find out he has to have Tommy John surgery?

I'm going under.

Comment

Johan Santana and Jeff Francoeur are the latest Mets stars to be sidelined with injuries.

Santana was scratched Monday from his next scheduled start because of discomfort in his pitching elbow. Francoeur has a torn ligament in his left thumb, leaving New York without its right fielder and top hitter.

The setback involving Santana is particularly alarming for the fourth-place Mets, who are counting on the two-time Cy Young Award winner to lead their rotation for years to come.

"He has not been throwing between starts for quite awhile. I would say since before the All-Star break. He has been pitching with this problem, but not with the level of discomfort he has now," New York manager Jerry Manuel said Monday after his team's 6-2 loss to Philadelphia.

"I'm terribly concerned," Manuel told Newsday. "No question about it."

Francoeur told MLB.com that he spoke with Santana about the likelihood of surgery. He told the Web site Santana "can get it looked at now and be two months ahead by Spring Training," indicating a need for surgery in the immediate future.

Mike Pelfrey, Santana's fellow starter, added, "I don't think anyone expects good news."

Santana had been slated to pitch Tuesday night in Florida. Instead, the left-hander will be examined by Mets medical director Dr. David Altchek and undergo an MRI, according to multiple media reports.

"I hope to have some definitive word for you tomorrow," Manuel said.

Right-hander Nelson Figueroa will start against the Marlins.

The Mets have 11 players on the disabled list, including David Wright, Carlos Beltran, Jose Reyes, Carlos Delgado, J.J. Putz and John Maine.

Santana is 13-9 with a 3.13 ERA in 25 starts during his second season with the Mets. He was acquired in a February 2008 trade with Minnesota.

Santana was unavailable for comment after Monday's game. New York catcher Brian Schneider said the pitcher's stuff hasn't been up to par lately.

"What I'm looking at is his location, which, like I said, hasn't been as sharp as it had been," Schneider said.

New York also learned Monday that Francoeur has a torn ligament in the thumb on his non-throwing hand. He is day to day, the club said, but is expected to miss at least a handful of games.

"The right thing now is to let the swelling go down. It's kind of big," Francoeur said. "I'm going to try to play through it to the end of the season. If I can rest it for two or three days and then play, I'm going to do it. You might say, 'Why bother? We only have 38 games left.' But I came here to play and I want to play."

Acquired last month in a trade with Atlanta, Francoeur was injured Sunday while making a diving catch. X-rays were negative, but his thumb swelled up afterward and he went to the hospital Monday for an MRI, which revealed the tear.

Since joining the Mets on July 11, Francoeur has been the team's most productive hitter. He is batting .305 with six homers and 24 RBIs in 39 games. He also has eight doubles and two triples.

"Hopefully, the swelling goes down quick and I can get back in there. I've been fortunate that in four or 4 1/2 years I have never missed a game because of injury," Francoeur said.

Cory Sullivan started in right field Monday against Philadelphia lefty Cliff Lee.

Francoeur lined into an unassisted triple play by Phillies second baseman Eric Bruntlett on Sunday, ending New York's 9-7 loss. It was the second time in major league history a game ended on an unassisted triple play -- Detroit first baseman Johnny Neun also turned the trick in 1927.
        Surgery a concern for Mets' Santana

I left in the part about Francouer as well. The Mets have like the entire top pier of their players either day-to-day or on the DL right now.

Comment

WFAN is saying it's going to be minor arthroscopic surgery for Johan, ergo, season finished...but should be good to go for spring training.

Comment

Johan out for the rest of the regular season with bone chips

Comment

Working...
            X