2009 Major League Trade Deadline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Major League Trade Deadline Discussion

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Dodgers and Indians are in serious discussions about a trade that would send Cliff Lee and Victor Martinez to the Dodgers for a package including either Clayton Kershaw or Chad Billingsley.

James Loney would also be involved, which makes sense because Martinez would play first base most of the time in L.A. We imagine that the Indians would prefer Kershaw, who will be a lot cheaper than Billingsley over the next few years. It's certainly be a fascinating trade if it gets done. Jul. 26 - 4:47 pm et
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Hea...=MLB&hl=270698

I dont know if i would give up Kershaw, but Cliff Lee and Victor Martinez are pretty hard to pass up on.
    I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac!

Comment

Highly unlikely it would go down because I would assume CLE is asking for Kershaw but damn if it did.

Comment

They need to add a pitcher, not swap a young one for an older one.

Trading Kershaw or Billingsly would be silly.
        There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

Yeah I don't see the point in swapping a Billingsley or Kershaw for Lee, considering both are much younger and have much more upside (whereas Lee can really only go down from here).

Comment

Kershaw is their future ace, i wouldnt swap my future ace for an older pitcher
            I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac!

Comment

The Rays and Red Sox are each discussing blockbuster deals with the Indians for both Cliff Lee and Victor Martinez, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. Here are the details and the rest of Sherman's rumors:

The Rays would deal Wade Davis, but the Red Sox are hesitant to deal Clay Buchholz.
              The Phillies, Brewers and Rangers have interest in Lee and the Giants have interest in V-Mart.
              One executive is "1,000%" confident the Indians will move Lee and Martinez to free up money.
              An AL executive says the Phillies will acquire Lee, Roy Halladay or Jarrod Washburn by Friday afternoon.
              The Padres may be more willing to deal Heath Bell than expected. As one official says, Bell will be an expensive closer on a bad team if the Padres don't trade him.
              The Yankees have been interested in Bell, whose value is higher than ever.
              Rays, Red Sox Talking Blockbusters With Tribe

Comment

What are their contracts like?
                God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                - Daft

Comment

Cliff Lee lhp
                  4 years/$15M (2006-09), plus 2010 club option

* 4 years/$15M (2006-09), plus 2010 club option
                  o signed extension with Cleveland 8/06
                  o replaced 1 year/$0.4062M deal signed 3/06
                  o $1M signing bonus
                  o 06:$0.75M, 07:$2.75M, 08:$3.75M, 09:$5.75M,
                  10:$8M club option ($1M buyout)
                  o price of 2010 option increases to:
                  + $9M with Cy Young in 2008 (met) or 2009
                  + $8.75M with 2nd or 3rd in Cy Young vote in 2008 or 2009
                  o award bonuses: $0.1M for All Star selection, $0.25M for Cy Young, $0.15M for 2nd or 3rd in Cy Young vote, $75,000 for 4th or 5th in Cy Young vote
                  Victor Martinez c
                  5 years/$15.5M (2005-09), plus 2010 club option

* 5 years/$15.5M (2005-09), plus 2010 club option
                  o signed extension with Cleveland 4/05, replacing 1 year/$0.3721M deal signed 3/05
                  o $1M signing bonus
                  o 05:$0.5M, 06:$0.8M, 07:$3M, 08:$4.25M, 09:$5.7M, 10:$7M club option ($0.25M buyout)
                  o if traded, 2009 salary increases to $6.2M and 2010 club option increases to $7.5M
                  o 2010 option may increase up to $1M ($0.1M each for Gold Glove or All Star selection, $0.5M for MVP ($0.25M for 2nd place in vote, $0.1M for 3rd-5th)
                  o award bonuses: $50,000 each for Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, LCS MVP; $0.1M for All Star start ($50,000 for All Star selection); $0.1M for WS MVP; $0.2M for MVP ($0.15M for 2nd or 3rd in vote, $75,000 for 4th or 5th)
                  fun!

Comment

So I would guess that means cle is giving up on '10
                    --------------------
                    they're an example of what happens when shit happens

they're core was so awesome too but it was like everything fell apart
                    Last edited by nny; 07-27-2009, 02:31 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Jeff Fletcher of AOL FanHouse hears that the Reds are close to making a deal after top team officials spoke on a conference call this morning. The Reds, fifth in the NL Central, are sellers and have pitchers like Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Harang and Francisco Cordero who could all appeal to teams seeking pitching.
                      The Dodgers have interest in Arroyo and Harang, but only if their pursuit of Cliff Lee falls through. The Reds would likely have to take on salary in any deal involving Harang or Arroyo.
                      More from MLBtraderumors.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                        fun!
                        Definitely think we should be in the running for them, then. I mean, what's there to lose (except a chance at the playoffs)?
                        God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                        - Daft

Comment

Originally posted by Sub Zero View Post
                          Definitely think we should be in the running for them, then. I mean, what's there to lose (except a chance at the playoffs)?
                          Cleveland is asking for ALOT.

Comment

Originally posted by Sub Zero View Post
                            Mike Stanton or Logan Morrison

Comment

weird rumor out there is Hammer to Cincy

that would be great (for his power atleast)... even if I'd rather him in the pennant race

Comment

Working...
                              X