Something is Up with Josh Hamilton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something is Up with Josh Hamilton

Josh Hamilton batted just .177/.253/.354 in July, which would be reason enough to think that something’s not quite right with the MVP outfielder. Now add these cryptic comments, uttered by Hamilton late last week following a 1-for-14 homestand:

“When the time is right, I’ll be honest with you, you’ll be right in the loop. I’ve been shown a lot of things over the past week. There’s disobedience and there’s obedience to God. I’ve been being disobedient. It may be a small thing to you, but it’s a big thing to him. There’s consequences. It’s like a father and a kid. There are disciplines. You guys can chew on that and think about it.”

Then there’s the even more cryptic quote below, offered Wednesday morning on a Dallas radio program by Rangers manager Ron Washington:

“The issue is something that I think Josh would definitely have to be the one to expose. It’s certainly not physical. It has nothing to do with injuries. Josh is the one that made the statement and got all the inquiries going, and I think Josh is the one that has to put a rest to the inquiries, not Ron Washington. I can just tell you one thing: It is not because he’s hurt.”

Commenters on the Rangers-centric blog Baseball Time In Arlington have suggested that Hamilton might be going through a divorce with his wife Katie, through nobody has any facts to back that up. The drug and alcohol addict had a relapse in February at a bar in Fort Worth but has seemingly kept clean this summer.

Hamilton, 31, is currently scheduled to hit the open market five days after the conclusion of the 2012 World Series. He’ll be one of the most interesting cases in the history of free agency given all that’s taken place.
    There’s something troubling going on with Josh Hamilton

Really sucks that a guy so talented has all these issues. Free agency is going to be really interesting for him. Hard to imagine a team committing a lot of money to him if these things continue to happen. Could specific stipulations be put into his contract about certain issues? I'm completely uninformed on that subject so just wondering.

I've heard divorce/infidelity rumors but really you can't let that shit effect your on-field performance.

If he turns his shit around I'd expect no one will hesitate to give him a 5 year deal with multiple out clauses for the team based on conduct (yes, you can do that MH). If he hits under .200 the rest of the way I'd imagine he may have to settle for an incentive-laden two year deal. It's really really interesting. The other interesting thing is he's 31 and hitting FA. So you aren't getting his prime years. I don't see any way, even if he finishes on fire, that he gets more than a 5 year deal with a 6th year vesting option.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

She's gonna get rid of him after all this? By now shouldn't she know what she signed up for?
      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

He'll get the money, just not the years. I think that was the case before the season started, I don't think that's changed all that much now.

I'd be surprised if he gets 5, I think that if Texas offered 5, it'd be done by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
          She's gonna get rid of him after all this? By now shouldn't she know what she signed up for?
          Because people can get tired of other people's bullshit. It's why j00j and I separated.
          This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Fun slash lines for the last two years for two 31 year old pending FA OF's:

Hamilton: .292/.348/.554 (54 HR)
            Swisher: .262/.364/.457 (37 HR)

Hamilton's probably a better player, but am I crazy for thinking that, in a vacuum both players are a lot closer than I think the common perception is (the mitigating issue is that both fill different needs for a team and so, while I think most here understand the value of not making outs, I think the 'big' bat goes before the skilled base-reacher).

Comment

Tough to hit the ball like an elite hitter when you swing at everything. Dave Cameron had an article about him when he was on pace to have a historic season talking about his lack of plate discipline and how crazy his #'s were at the time with that plate discipline, or lack thereof.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                Because people can get tired of other people's bullshit. It's why j00j and I separated.
                Too soon.
                There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

Well.

Rangers superstar Josh Hamilton's personal issue that he referred to in a recent interview has come to light, and word is it regards his recent inability to kick the chewing tobacco habit. Hamilton spoke recently about his disappointment in himself about an undisclosed personal matter, and sources say the tobacco is what he was talking about – and possibly a little bit about his disappointment in not being as disciplined at the plate in recent weeks, too.

Hamilton in conjunction with the team is expected to clear this up Friday afternoon, as speculation about much more serious matters had grown rampant since Hamilton lamented a personal issue a few days ago in a local newspaper interview.

Hamilton, who is batting .283 with 29 home runs and 84 RBIs, has slumped since trying to quit chewing tobacco. He has tried several times, according to people close to him.

“There's disobedience and there's obedience to God. I've been being disobedient,'' Hamilton said a few days ago in an interview with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “It may be a small thing to you, but it's a big thing to him. There's consequences.''

While Hamilton sounded disappointed in himself, the team to no one's surprise doesn't consider this tobacco issue a major concern. Hamilton has built his superb career in Texas after a long history of drug abuse and previous ban from the game, and the tobacco issue isn't something that will impact contract negotiations for the star who's about to become a free agent.
                  poop

Comment

I mean, tobacco isn't good for you, but considering what everybody was thinking, this should actually be a relief.

Comment

I'm gonna be a dick.

If he's not hitting because he's trying to quit chewing tobacco, then he needs to stop trying to quit until the season ends.

Selfish asshole.

/72% serious post

Comment

I would imagine this is a pretty convenient excuse for not hitting.
                        --------------------
                        It was kind of fun when he was good, though.
                        Last edited by Bobbob1313; 08-03-2012, 04:30 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                        poop

Comment

Just like Mickey Mantle.

Comment

I am very let down by this.
                            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                            X