Pirates Looking At Quentin and Upton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirates Looking At Quentin and Upton

The Pittsburgh Pirates are in first place. Clearly, they intend to stay there.

Major-league sources told FOXSports.com the Pirates have had preliminary trade discussions regarding two power-hitting outfielders, San Diego’s Carlos Quentin and Arizona’s Justin Upton. Talent evaluators from those two clubs have scouted Pittsburgh’s minor-league affiliates in recent days, as the teams prepare preference lists of prospects they want in the potential deals.

It seems unlikely the Pirates would acquire both Quentin and Upton, but they have a strong desire to upgrade their lineup by landing one of them. Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen is putting together an MVP season in the No. 3 spot, but he will see fewer pitches to hit in the second half unless general manager Neal Huntington adds a cleanup hitter. Garrett Jones and Casey McGehee have batted fourth for the Pirates in recent days.

Quentin would come at a lower prospect price, because he’s eligible for free agency after this season. Upton would command a larger package, since he’s under contract through 2015.

Upton, who finished fourth in the MVP balloting last year, would be the bigger splash for an organization seeking to re-establish itself. Upton’s relationship with the Arizona franchise has soured recently amid criticism from owner Ken Kendrick, but he’s highly regarded within the industry. A change of scenery may be the best thing for Upton. If he lands in Pittsburgh, he would combine with McCutchen to give the Pirates their best collection of star talent since the departure of Barry Bonds.

The Pirates, who invested large sums of money in the draft over the past several years, have the prospect depth to consummate a deal for either Upton or Quentin. The question is how willing Huntington will be to part with the necessary pieces.

Two Pirates pitching prospects — right-handers Gerrit Cole and Jameson Taillon — were selected for Sunday’s All-Star Futures Game in Kansas City. The Pirates are said to be more reluctant to trade Cole than Taillon, in part because Cole is closer to the majors.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/p...n-upton-070812

Good for them. I hope they pull it off.

Pirates bandwagon is preparing to leave the station.

Comment

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst
      #Pirates so serious about Justin Upton they're sending signals they could include Starling Marte in an Upton deal -- but not Cole or Taillon
      I think they have the system to get it done without including those 2.

Comment

The Pirates would be retarded to trade Cole or Taillon. Both have HUGH upside and could give the Pirates an awesome top of the rotation in a couple years.

Comment

Justin Upton is really good though

Also

Tinstaapp

Comment

@JonHeymanCBS: hearing theres "nothing serious'' w/ j. upton yet, & #pirates "probably not a fit.'' wont include taillon or cole. #dbacks
            Smart
            --------------------
            Originally posted by Ramp View Post
            Justin Upton is really good though
            Not at the expense of a 20 or 21 year old potential ace pitcher, though. Taillon and Cole give the Pirates better long term potential.
            Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 07-15-2012, 02:54 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Sure thing > potential
              --------------------
              Scott Tinstaapp
              Last edited by Metes; 07-15-2012, 03:08 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Jameson Taillon has a 4.43 ERA this season and a 3.98 last season. I'm not sure he's quite untouchable. At some point, stuff and potential should translate when talking about making a prospect untouchable.
                poop

Comment

Originally posted by mbitcronod12 View Post
                  Smart
                  --------------------

Not at the expense of a 20 or 21 year old potential ace pitcher, though. Taillon and Cole give the Pirates better long term potential.
                  Justin Upton has just as much potential as those pitchers do

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                    Jameson Taillon has a 4.43 ERA this season and a 3.98 last season. I'm not sure he's quite untouchable. At some point, stuff and potential should translate when talking about making a prospect untouchable.
                    It's only his second year in pro ball, though. It's also the first year the Pirates have released the shackles and let him go through an order 3 times. I wouldn't be too quick to judge a 20 year old. Cole has struggled a little in the early going since his call up to AA. Small sample size alert but so is Taillon's really.

No arguing that Upton is good. He is. It's just that the Pirates could have two ace starters going 1-2 in their rotation to me looks better long term than just having 1 and Justin Upton who is going to be expensive to resign after 2015 and the Pirates may not be able to hold onto him.

Comment

This is soon to become the Pirates postseason bandwagon thread.

Comment

Originally posted by mbitcronod12 View Post
                        It's only his second year in pro ball, though. It's also the first year the Pirates have released the shackles and let him go through an order 3 times. I wouldn't be too quick to judge a 20 year old. Cole has struggled a little in the early going since his call up to AA. Small sample size alert but so is Taillon's really.
                        I'm saying that there is no indication from either of them that they should be considered untouchable. They have the pedigree and skillset, but the production is lagging behind. To me, that says that there is reason to doubt they're abilities to reach that potential.

When you've missed the playoffs for 20 years, I don't think a guy with 4-plus ERA at A+ ball should stop you from making a move like that, no matter how talented he might be.
                        poop

Comment

Why would Arizona want either of them? They have a shit ton of pitching prospects already. I know you can never have too much pitching, but get something they really need.
                          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Metes View Post
                            Sure thing > potential
                            Originally posted by Namaste
                            It's all about potential, boys.

It's about time Pirates fans get to see them team do good stuff.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Steve Berthiaume ‏@SBerthiaumeESPN
                              #Pirates will call up top position prospect, OF Starling Marte, for tomorrow's game. P Evan Meek sent to Triple-A Indianapolis.
                              hitting .286/.347/.500 down there

Comment

Working...
                              X