No announcement yet.

2012 MLB Season Game Thread: March-April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone knows Pujols has played like rotten shit. Seems like Hatcher was giving people reason to believe at least he was doing something and continuing to be a motivator of some sort. It wasn't exactly the type of comment that might be considered the airing of dirty laundry. Point seems to mostly be that Hatcher is getting a lot of heat from mk7s that just blindly blame people like hitting coaches and Pujols shouldn't be piling on with something so unnecessary.

Comment

• If Pujols felt he wanted to make that statement publicly, he would have done so himself, no? It's the point of not speaking of things said within their "office" regardless of whether it was something positive or negative. I see nothing wrong with Pujols being annoyed by it. Also, who is Heyman to say in that last few sentences that the Angels removal of those people were unwarranted. And while Pujols is a big part of the problem in terms of the Angels offense not delivering, it's more than just him that is struggling.

Don't get me wrong, I get annoyed by people blaming the hitting coach for players woes because I think players in the Majors are already smart enough to recognize things they are doing wrong so I don't see a whole lot of value in hitting coaches, but when the team isn't performing for an extended period time then I won't argue against people that criticize the hitting coach.

Comment

• If Pujols felt he wanted to make that statement publicly, he would have done so himself, no? It's the point of not speaking of things said within their "office" regardless of whether it was something positive or negative.
        I don't see this type of comment as the kind of thing that is generally meant to be private. He told his teammates and not the media because it is a comment for the players. It makes more sense to tell the players that they will all work through this and get through this rather than to tell the media that, unless the media asks him. I just think that on a continuum of comments that are meant to stay private, this is extremely off to the side that is labeled "not private". These guys meet with the media so incredibly often. This is as close to the usual coachspeak bullshit that is really uninteresting as it can get. I would think most people hear that story and just react like Bobbob ("Well, yeah, of course he would say that"). It's an incredibly neutral type of comment by Hatcher. Perhaps Hatcher ought to say something more along the lines of maybe if this $250M man would stop playing like shit, my job would be secure.
        It's almost like he's actually supporting a guy whose struggles are putting his own job in jeopardy.

Also, who is Heyman to say in that last few sentences that the Angels removal of those people were unwarranted.
        Who is anyone to ever speculate about whether a firing is or is not warranted? We do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
          I don't see this type of comment as the kind of thing that is generally meant to be private. He told his teammates and not the media because it is a comment for the players. It makes more sense to tell the players that they will all work through this and get through this rather than to tell the media that, unless the media asks him. I just think that on a continuum of comments that are meant to stay private, this is extremely off to the side that is labeled "not private". These guys meet with the media so incredibly often. This is as close to the usual coachspeak bullshit that is really uninteresting as it can get. I would think most people hear that story and just react like Bobbob ("Well, yeah, of course he would say that"). It's an incredibly neutral type of comment by Hatcher. Perhaps Hatcher ought to say something more along the lines of maybe if this $250M man would stop playing like shit, my job would be secure.
          It's almost like he's actually supporting a guy whose struggles are putting his own job in jeopardy.

Who is anyone to ever speculate about whether a firing is or is not warranted? We do it.
          And none of the players said anything about this to the media. The coach did and the comments weren't even directed at him.

We do it because we, for the most part, are dumb emotional fanatics. I have a problem with Heyman presenting 1 or 2 facts about individuals fired by the Angels to show as if they were wronged in some way and ignoring the whole picture.

Comment

• I'm with Heyman here. And I hate Heyman. And the more we learn about Pujols, the more of a dick he seems to be.

(not shocking, just saying)

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
              And none of the players said anything about this to the media. The coach did and the comments weren't even directed at him.
              Media members ask questions or make comments to coaches all the time along the line of "Albert Pujols ::sticks mic in face::" or "Tell me about Albert Pujols" or "This must be tough for Albert". Giving a story to let people know that Albert is working hard to get through it and encouraging his teammates that they will break out of it is a good neutral way of responding to that crap. If it's something like that, maybe good for him for somehow not saying, "Tough for Albert? Tough for me. I'm going to get fired because this asshole can't do what he's paid insane amounts of money to do".

Comment

• I just don't see it that way.

Comment

• I would love to see Albert go after Hatcher, just to see everyone's reactions. Hatcher tried to make Albert look good and instead Albert wants to shit all over him.

This all being said, Pujols is currently hitting .217/.265/.304 with 6bb and 14k. It's got to be his worst month of his career.

Comment

• Josh Willingham would not find himself in such a predicament.

CAUSE HE RAKES!!!!!!!!!

Right?!?!?!?!

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                      I just don't see it that way.
                      What kind of thing do you want Hatcher to say if asked about Albert or the team's struggles? No comment? They're working on it? Add a little harmless story to it like the one he told, and people are more likely to latch onto it and see it as a good sign and good work out of the guy playing like trashit.

Comment

• Yea, Albert is a prick.

Probably a good thing the Marlins didn't sign him too (atleast at this point)

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
                          What kind of thing do you want Hatcher to say if asked about Albert or the team's struggles? No comment? They're working on it? Add a little harmless story to it like the one he told, and people are more likely to latch onto it and see it as a good sign and good work out of the guy playing like trashit.
                          His track record speaks for itself. I think he'll work his way out of it.

I can think one several other dumb, useless quotes that he could feed the media.

Comment

• He added a totally harmless anecdote. What he said was as harmless as harmless can be and it could only work to make people see Pujols in a more positive light.

Comment

• I'm having issue with telling media things that were shared behind closed doors with his team. I don't really care if he meant well by it, I don't agree with it.

Comment

• It happens ALL the time. Dickhead guy just doesn't throw the coach or whoever under the bus for it. You would get incredibly annoyed really quickly if things that were said behind a closed door were never shared.

Comment

Working...
                                X