X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barry Larkin Elected to Hall of Fame

Barry Larkin inducted into HOF with 86% of the vote

Barry Larkin Elected to Hall of Fame

Barry Larkin, who was planning to spend his morning on the golf course trying to calm his nerves, will be spending the rest of his day celebrating his entrance into baseball's Hall of Fame.

Larkin, who spent his entire 19-year career with the Cincinnati Reds, was the lone player inducted into the Hall of Fame on his third year of the ballot. Larkin received 86% of the vote of the Baseball Writers' Association of America, eclipsing the 75% needed for induction.

He becomes just the 48th Hall of Famer to spend his entire career with one organization. He is just the third Hall of Famer to spend his whole career with the Reds, joining Johnny Bench and Bid McPhee.

"It's a shot of immortality, the best in the history of the game," he said last week. "To be emblazoned into that history of the game is a tremendous honor."

Larkin, the 1995 National League MVP, a 12-time All-Star and three-time Gold Glove winner, represents perhaps the final Hall of Fame induction class -- at least for a generation -- not soiled by steroid or human-growth hormone use.

Next year Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Sammy Sosa are on the ballot for the first time, all who have been convicted or linked to steroid/HGH use. The ballot also will include second baseman Craig Biggio, catcher Mike Piazza and pitcher Curt Schilling. The ballot will only get stronger in future years with Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Frank Thomas, Jeff Kent and Mike Mussina eligible in 2014; Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz and Gary Sheffield in 2015; and Ken Griffey Jr. and Trevor Hoffman in 2016.

Larkin was the first shortstop in history, in 1996, to join the 30-homer, 30-stolen bases club. He hit at least .300 in nine of his 19 seasons, and wound up with a .295 batting average, 2,340 hits, 198 homers and 379 stolen bases.

"(Barry) was the best shortstop of his era, and if not for Ozzie Smith, he would have had a lot more Gold Glove awards, too," said Jim Bowden, former Reds general manager from 1992-3003.

Larkin, who works for ESPN, is also a spring training instructor for the Reds. He has gone to South Korea and Brazil as an envoy for Major League Baseball and the State Department. He also is a member of the Capital One Advisory Board, honoring the finest Division 1 college athletic programs.

Larkin, who will appear at a Hall of Fame press conference Tuesday in New York, ironically was already planning to be in Manhattan. He is helping his 16-year-old daughter, Cymcole, put together a music video. They plan to get footage at Times Square and the Empire State Building.

Larkin will be inducted July 22 at Cooperstown, N.Y., along with the late Ron Santo, elected last month by the Veterans Committee. Santo will be represented by his widow.
    Source
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

Comment

looks like Jack Morris will get in next year

Comment

Woooooooooooooooo

My first favorite player ever.

Comment

Should have gotten in first ballot
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

We're a HUGH Larkin fan. Happy moment.

Comment

Played his entire career in his home town. That's pretty darn nifty.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Bill James has Larkin as 6th greatest SS of all time

Comment

Dat swag.

Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

I'll play contrarian. 3 gold gloves, never led the league in ANY offensive category in any season. Doesn't own a career .300 average or 3,000 hits (despite an 18 year career). That's a Hall of Famer?
                    --------------------
                    I'll say this, though, his election certainly helps a few fringe HoF players, like Sheffield, Vizquel and probably even Posada.
                    Last edited by Swifty; 01-10-2012, 08:24 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I mean, Ozzie Smith was elected with one of the highest percentages ever. 3 Gold Gloves does not mean he wasn't a good fielder. He was a marvelous fielder but he was Ozzie's contemporary in his same league.

Larkin as far as I'm concerned transformed SS as much as Ripken did.

12 ASGs, 9 Silver Sluggers, three STRAIGHT Gold Gloves and really probably deserved a few more in the 80s, and yeah, he's a HOFer.

But, having said all that, in my eyes, so is Alan Trammell.
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

If talking BA didn't he hit .298 in his career? That's damn close to .300.

If Bill James says Larkin is the 6th greatest SS of all time I

A) Believe him

B) think he belongs on the HOF

In Swifts defense I got into a pretty long debate with a friend today who thought Larkin doesn't belong.

Comment

Meanwhile, this guy gets snubbed

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We8MeWpyBgA[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                            If talking BA didn't he hit .298 in his career? That's damn close to .300.

If Bill James says Larkin is the 6th greatest SS of all time I

A) Believe him

B) think he belongs on the HOF

In Swifts defense I got into a pretty long debate with a friend today who thought Larkin doesn't belong.
                            Not that I don't think he's very very good, but it's not the Hall of Very Very Good. I don't think, really ever, I said "oh, I want to watch Barry Larkin" or "damn, we better get this guy here, Larkin's on deck." Really, the only thing I can say stands out to me about Larkin's career is that he was the first guy to adopt the Wilson connext A2000 with the adjustable dial on the back.

Like I said, though, his election helps fringe players (who, if I had a vote, I would have voted for when they become eligible) like Sheff.

As a partial aside, I hope the "stand" against suspected PED users doesn't turn this into a watered down Hall as the voters feel the need to get someone in, even if they're less deserving.

Comment

If Larkin's not a Hall of Famer, then there's a whole bunch of guys we need to kick out.

Comment

Working...
                              X