No announcement yet.

2011 MLB Season Game Thread: May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rangers recalled catcher Taylor Teagarden and optioned our old friend Ryan Tucker.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
      this is crazy. The Yankees and Orioles game has had all but 2 of the hits being singles. Dickerson just got hit in the face...Gonzalez got tossed so now the Orioles are going to tomorrow's starter to pitch.
      --------------------
      AJ Burnett is now pinch running for Dickerson.
      --------------------
      Oriole rally snuffed out by a single that hits the runner.
      That was the weirdest game.

Comment

• Did Joba single in a go-ahead RBI, only to have Jeremy Guthrie triple with 2 outs in the bottom of the 11th?

I don't think so.

Comment

• Interesting article about our old friend Scott Olsen.

In the 24 years that I have covered the major leagues, fans have consistently asked me three questions: 1. Can you get me autographs? 2. Can you get me free tickets? 3. Does it bother you that the players make so much money?
          My answer to all three has always been ‘no.’
          It’s unprofessional for a reporter to ask a player for an autograph, it is unethical for a media member to accept free tickets and if sports writers were offered multimillion dollar contracts, I’d sign up for one.
          I’ve made a special exception to my stock answer for question No. 3 in the case of Scott Olsen, the left-hander who was released by the Pirates last Saturday.
          The Pirates signed Olsen for a guaranteed $450,000 last December with the idea that he would be strong contender to win a roster spot at the back end of their rotation. Even though Olsen was a combined 6-12 with a 5.76 ERA in 28 games, 26 starts, with Washington in 2009 and 2010, it seemed a worthwhile gamble.
          The Pirates were guaranteeing him just $36,000 over the major-league minimum salary of $414,000 and the 27-year-old had showed flashes of brilliance during his four seasons with Florida from 2005-08.
          However, there were also warning signs that Olsen could create problems.
          During his time with the Marlins, Olsen received a black eye as the result of a late-night scuffle with a teammate, had well-documents dugout blowups with managers Joe Girardi and Fredi Gonzalez, and was arrested during 2007 for driving under the influence, resisting arrest with violence and fleeing and eluding a police officer. Then there was Olsen’s chain smoking, which he never tried to hide.
          Yet the reason I begrudge the fact that Olsen walked away from the Pirates with $450,000 isn’t because of his bad attitude, smoking or drinking. It’s the way he went about getting released. Olsen threw a fit in spring training when he was told he would have to compete for a spot in the bullpen instead of in the rotation because a strained hamstring had put him too far behind in order to be ready to begin the season as a starter.
          Olsen had been on the disabled list since opening day and sources with knowledge of the situation claim his attitude didn’t get any better while he rehabbed at extended spring training.
          Thus, Olsen gets a parting gift of $450,000 just to go away — a sum a common man would hope to make over a 10-year span - — by virtue of doing little more than complaining. It must be great work if you can get it.
          Pitching and Moaning Paid Off for Olsen

Comment

• Scott has always had a bad attitude, so that's nothing new. I talked to a Pirates guy yesterday and he said that Olsen didn't want to move to the bullpen and that was the potential only opening they would have.

Comment

• Giambi with 3 HR's in 5 innings so far in Philly. 7 RBI to go with them.

Comment

• Red Sox designated left-handed pitcher Hideki Okajima for assignment and acquired lefty Franklin Morales from Colorado.

Comment

• Cameron Maybin is sounding off again on twitter. Here are his tweets:

CamMaybin Cameron Maybin24
                  Our score keeper is brutal
                  and

CamMaybin Cameron Maybin24
                  Fucking brutal

Comment

• Comment

• Pablo Sandoval really need to be on the Marlins with our affection for Pandas, not to mention we could use a 3rd baseman.

Comment

• Cubs and Red Sox wearing those tomorrow. 1918 throwbacks.

Comment

• The Red Sox jersey is so original

Comment

• All throwbacks are, by definition, unoriginal.

Comment

• Talk about a crazy fucking game that just ended in Milwaukee.

Comment

• Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
                                The Red Sox jersey is so original
                                I want to think you were being cute, but I don't think you were

Were you?

Comment

Working...
                                X