2011 Spring Training General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Spring Training General Discussion

Last week general manager Theo Epstein revealed that the Red Sox had scouts tracking Carl Crawford on and off the field last season in preparation for potentially signing him as a free agent, saying it was “as if we were privately investigating him.”

That was apparently news to Crawford, who told Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com yesterday that he was “creeped out a little bit” and “a little freaked out” to learn of the Red Sox’s surveillance, calling it “a little weird.”

Here’s more from Crawford:

I didn’t say nothing, but I’m from an area where if somebody’s doing that to you, they’re not doing anything good. I get paranoid when I hear those kind of stories, so I definitely take a different approach when I do things now. It did have an effect on me, let me put it that way. I definitely look over my shoulder now a lot more than what I did before.

Just when he told me that, the idea of him following me everywhere I go, was kind of, I wasn’t comfortable with that at all. I don’t know how they do it, how much distance they keep from you when they watch you the whole time. I definitely check my back now, at least 100 yard radius. I’m always looking over my shoulder now. Now I look before I go in my house. I’d better not see anything suspicious now.
    Crawford’s reaction has predictably led to Epstein backtracking a bit from his original statements, beginning with saying that the “as if we were privately investigating him” line was “a bad figure of speech.” Here’s more from Epstein:

Our scouts just did a real thorough job on background, that’s all. Felt like we got to know him real well, that’s all. I told him we got to know him real well and we really respected the decisions he made, even away from the park. We told him we trusted him with a long-term contract because of his work ethic and his decision-making, so we’d be involved in the bidding.
    Epstein also indicated that the Red Sox have previously followed other potential free agent targets in a similar manner, which probably has quite a few star players feeling “creeped out” today. Ultimately a $142 million contract can smooth over a lot of “weird” feelings and Crawford did tell Edes he understands “that’s what they have to do when they’re making that kind of investment.” Still, this is an awfully strange way for a seven-year relationship to begin. After all, you don’t often hear about a stalker actually marrying a stalkee.
    Carl Crawford “creeped out” by the Red Sox

good on the Red Sox, when you're dropping all kinds of dollars, good to know what you're getting into

Comment

That sounds like he's kidding.
      --------------------
      Crawford I mean
      Last edited by Mainge; 02-23-2011, 05:24 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

He wasn't

Comment

I definitely check my back now, at least 100 yard radius. I’m always looking over my shoulder now. Now I look before I go in my house. I’d better not see anything suspicious now.
          C'mon. Really?

Comment

There is a long and storied history to baseball nicknames, from Ted Williams (the Splendid Splinter) to Randy Johnson (the Big Unit) to Babe Ruth (the Sultan of Swat).

Kansas City closer Joakim Soria has a nickname he wants no part of.

The Royals pitcher said that "The Mexicutioner" has a negative connotation and is a particularly jarring choice given the drug violence racking his homeland. He is from Monclova in the northern state of Coahuila.

"It's been really bad in Mexico right now," Soria said Wednesday. "There are a lot of guns in Mexico. It's out of control right now.

"If I can change the mindset of the people, change the nickname or just take it out. It's not a big deal. I think it's a smart move. I think about my people."

The 26-year-old Soria saved 43 games in 46 opportunities last season and for the second time in two years was selected to the All-Star Game.

The nickname originated in 2008, when Soria saved 42 games and "The Mexicutioner" T-shirts were sold in Kansas City. Soria did not shy away from the nickname in the beginning, but with the increased violence in Mexico, he wants to shed it this season.

Soria pointed out that Mariano Rivera and Trevor Hoffman, two of the best closers in history, have no nicknames. He said he has no preference for a new nickname. "His Mexcellency" was one suggestion.

"I don't really care about nicknames," Soria said. "I'm not the type of guy that thinks too much about it. I'm open-minded about anything. I don't really want to choose one. If it stays Joakim Soria, fine. I don't really care. But I just want to change that name because it's bad right now for Mexico. This type of thing my nickname -- I try to be a positive thing."
            http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...ory?id=6151322

Comment

Prince Fielder is kind of painful to listen to.
              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
              Noah Perio
              Jupiter
              39 AB
              15 H
              0 2B
              0 3B
              0 HR
              0 BB
              .385/.385/.385

Comment

We know the feeling.

Comment

Baseball Prospectus Odds:

Comment

I will eat a live Todd if the Dodgers are that good
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Even though they got Marcum/Greinke, I personally can't see the Brewers winning that many games.

Comment

I think they've got one of the best rotations around
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                          Even though they got Marcum/Greinke, I personally can't see the Brewers winning that many games.
                          really? Gallardo, Greinke, Marcum and Randy Wolf?

Braun is a stud, Prince is in a contract year he will tear the cover off the ball, Weeks IF he stays healthy is the key. Also if Carlos Gomez can actually hit the damn ball as well! Oh and even tho I don't like him Corey Hart as well.

With Wainwright going down the Brewers have to be the odds on fav. to win the central.

Comment

91 wins for the Phillies?

Comment

That offense is pretty overrated.

When you account for their park, their team OPS was essentially average, and they lost their best offensive player. I could see it.
                              poop

Comment

Working...
                              X