Sweet Lou Piniella to Retire Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National League: Sweet Lou Piniella to Retire Today

CHICAGO -- Cubs manager Lou Piniella says he is retiring after Sunday's game against the Atlanta Braves to spend more time with his family.

Piniella, 66, had announced in mid-July he would retire at the end of the season after 18 years in the majors as a player and another 22 as a manager.

The Cubs quickly named third base coach Mike Quade manager for the remaining 38 games of the season, starting Monday at Washington.

The rest of the coaching staff would stay for now, the team said several hours before the game set for 2:20 p.m. ET at Wrigley Field.

"When I previously announced my intentions to retire at the end of the season, a primary reason for my decision was that it would allow me to spend more valuable time with my family," said Piniella in a statement Sunday. "That time has unfortunately gotten here sooner than I could have ever expected."

Piniella's record with the Cubs was 316-292. Under the mellowed skipper, Chicago won consecutive NL Central titles in 2007-08, but missed the playoffs last year and has struggled again this season with a new owner in charge.

"As many know, the several weeks since that announcement was made have been very difficult on a family level, requiring two leaves of absence from the club," Piniella said. "While I fully intended to manage this club the rest of the season, a family situation at home now requires my full attention."

The Cubs have gone 102 years without a World Series title. Losing seven of their last 10 entering Sunday, they've dropped to 20½ games behind the division-leading Cincinnati Reds in the NL Central at 51-73.

Piniella, with a record of 1,835-1,712 (.517), ranks fourth among active managers in wins. He'll manage his last game against Bobby Cox, who stands second at 2,485-1,981 (.556). Tony La Russa leads active managers at 2,618-2,271 (.535). Joe Torre is third (1,835-1,712, .517).

In a departure from usual pregame protocol, Piniella will present the Cubs lineup card along with Cox at home plate before Sunday's game. Typcially coaches present the lineup card, but because its Piniella's final game and the last appearance at Wrigley Field for the retiring Cox, the skippers will be involved in the exchange.

Quade, 53, has coached in the Cubs' organization for eight years. He was the manager of Triple-A affiliate Iowa from 2003-06 before joining the Cubs. Quade has also served as a minor league manager in the Nationals, Phillies, and Athletics organizations.

A native of the Chicago area, Quade was a minor league outfielder in the Pirates' system from 1979-82 before retiring as a player.

General manager Jim Hendry had said Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg, now managing the club's Triple-A affiliate in Des Moines, would be a candidate for the job. He said last month Piniella's replacement wouldn't be hired before the end of the season, but he had hoped to have a manager in place by organization meetings in late October or early November.

"It's not going to be a two-week process," Hendry said.

Sandberg, who spent several seasons as a spring training instructor with the Cubs after retiring in 1997, has said he's interested.

"I need to focus on what I'm doing here in Des Moines with these players and what my job is right now," he said. "If the time came, if I was considered for that job in Chicago, I think that'd be a terrific thing just to be considered. The whole goal of any minor leaguer is to get to the major leagues, and I think that includes coaches and managers like myself."

Piniella made five trips to the World Series in his career and has three championship rings. A right-handed outfielder, he was the AL Rookie of the Year in 1969 after batting .282 with 11 homers and 68 RBIs with the Royals. He was traded to the Yankees in 1973 and ended his playing career with New York in 1984.

In all, Piniella played 18 years in the majors -- 11 with the Yankees -- and was a career .291 hitter.

Piniella began managing in 1986 with the Yankees and lasted three years, including a stint as general manager. He managed the Reds from 1990-92, leading them to a World Series championship in his first season.

After Cincinnati, Piniella had a long run in Seattle, where his teams won at least 90 games four times. The Mariners went 116-46 in 2001, but lost in the AL Championship Series to the Yankees. His 1995 and 2000 Mariners teams also fell in the ALCS.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ml...ory?id=5483775
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

I wouldn't want to finish off the season with that team either.

Comment

his mother is dying

I'm not so sure that joke is timely
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I did not read past the third sentence. My mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
          his mother is dying
          Not as quickly as the Cubs playoff chances did.

Comment

Hiyooooooooooooo

Comment

He'll be back.

Comment

No way. When someone says they are going to retire, they are never coming back.

/Brett Favre

Comment

Working...
                X