Ken Griffey Jr. to Announce Retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American League: Ken Griffey Jr. to Announce Retirement

SEATTLE -- Ken Griffey Jr. is retiring Wednesday, FanHouse has learned.

Sources said that Griffey, who didn't report to Safeco Field for the Mariners' game against the Minnesota Twins Wednesday, is saying "it's over.''

Griffey, the man who more than any other helped build the Mariners into a viable franchise as the premier center fielder of the the 1990s, played for Seattle from 1989-1999 and came back again in 2009 where he helped revitalized the franchise.

But he hasn't been able to duplicate that success in 2010 and he's gotten increasingly less playing time. He's only had seven at-bats since May 18 as Mike Sweeney has become increasingly more productive as the Mariners' designated hitter.

The formal announcement should come within the hour.

Ken Griffey Jr. to Announce Retirement

I saw his last game and at-bat Monday night. That part's cool, but it's a sad way to go out. Last year he was still productive.

Comment

it's time

Comment

At least he realized it now and didn't want to continue on when he really wasn't himself anymore.

Comment

I'm just bummed out that a lot of his career was squandered playing in Cincinnati.
          This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

And a lot of his career was squandered on the DL.

Comment

From fangraphs:

sad

Comment

That was my point. All those injuries in Cincinnati. The city doesn't bother me, the injuries sucked though.
                This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

He was the shit in the 90's. The whole second half of his career was sad though. He'll still go down as one of the baseball greats though and he's well liked by everyone and rich and he did it the right way unlike other great players of the era.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Could you imagine if he did stay healthy how absurd his numbers would look.

Comment

first time since 1974 there's no griffey in baseball
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
                        He was the shit in the 90's. The whole second half of his career was sad though. He'll still go down as one of the baseball greats though and he's well liked by everyone and rich and he did it the right way (maybe. We don't really know with any amount of certainty. Though we'll always give him the benefit of the doubt.) ed's note, bobbob added this unlike other great players of the era.
                        I need to put something here to make the board recognize my right to post this.

Sure, there's no reason to think he did. But there was no reason to think A-Rod did until he got caught. I just don't like that everyone pretty much says "He was the only guy who did it the right way."
                        Last edited by Bobbob1313; 06-03-2010, 11:00 PM.
                        poop

Comment

Umm 'cept apparently A-Rod had giant bitch tits while Jr. has never been an impressive physical specimen in terms of appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                            I need to put something here to make the board recognize my right to post this.

Sure, there's no reason to think he did. But there was no reason to think A-Rod did until he got caught. I just don't like that everyone pretty much says "He was the only guy who did it the right way."
                            He gets the benefit of the doubt, he wasn't caught. That's life.

Comment

If Jr. was on roids he wouldn't have spent so much time on the DL :-P

Comment

Working...
                              X