Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubaldo Jimenez hurt himself running the bases tonight

Comment

• New player-manager drama to focus on since the Hanley stuff is over.

Starter John Maine, who was removed after five pitches because of diminished velocity, and manager Jerry Manuel, who remained resolute in his belief that he both protected his pitcher and acted in his club's best interests, engaged in a back-and-forth tiff that overshadowed an otherwise productive win.

What played out in the first inning still had Maine fuming postgame. Maine insisted the hook came too quick, that neither Manuel nor pitching coach Dan Warthen asked him how he was feeling, and he expressed frustration over an already tough season that took another bad turn.

"I guess they didn't see 95 [mph]," Maine said. "It was a little slow, but it was the first batter of the game. Cut me a little bit of slack. The last couple pitches started getting back to normal. ... They looked for 95, they didn't see it. Whatever."

Said Warthen: "When he is throwing that way, then there has got to be something incorrect in that arm. Something has got to be feeling bad. John is a habitual liar in a lot of ways, as far as his own health. He is a competitor and a warrior, and he wants to go out and pitch, but we have to be smart enough to see that he isn't right, that the ball isn't coming out of his hand correctly."

None of the five pitches Maine threw on a leadoff walk to Nyjer Morgan -- a pair of changeup followed by three fastballs -- exceeded 85 mph. Manuel said Warthen told him that Maine's velocity was off during his pregame session in the bullpen, and Manuel suspected that Maine had altered his delivery to try and compensate for the lack of speed on his pitches.

"When Dan came in from the bullpen, he mentioned to me that [Maine] wasn't throwing over 80 mph in the bullpen. I asked [Maine] if there was anything wrong with him and he said he'd loosen up as he got out there," Manuel said. "When we saw the 82, 83, I told him I didn't want to take a chance on him."

Maine didn't dispute that his pregame warmup left something to be desired, but wanted the leeway to correct his own problems -- something he felt he was due as a veteran.

"I never have any velocity coming out of the bullpen, but that's the bullpen," Maine said. "I mean, it's a different switch that goes on when you go from the bullpen to the mound. That's just the way it is. I know I didn't have the same velocity. I'm not worried about that."

Perhaps that's why the pitcher and manager got into a heated discussion in the dugout after Maine was pulled. Manuel appreciated the competitive nature Maine displayed, but insists he made the correct decision under the circumstances. Maine has experienced right shoulder problems since arriving in a trade from Baltimore before the 2006 season, something that no doubt factored into Manuel's decision.

"He wanted to pitch," Manuel said. "We got into a little exchange about that and I told him I was trying to protect his best interests. I know he's a competitor, he wanted to compete and get out there and say, 'I can do this with what I have.' I told him I wasn't willing to take that chance."

Maine's response: "I didn't get asked [how I felt]. .. They said they saw something and they were taking me out. I'm a little hurt by that. Like I said, it wasn't [100 mph] the first pitch, and I never got asked to really see how I was. They just said I was out. That's what upset me the most."
      Mets top Nats, but Maine upset with removal

Comment

• Minor league pitcher gaining major league attention — 11:00 p.m.

The name may not grab your attention, but baseball insiders are assuredly talking about him.

Chris Resop.

He is, for all practical purposes, a journeyman relief pitcher. He has a 3-3 record and 5.61 ERA over 57 big-league appearances from 2005 through 2008.

But look at what the 27-year-old has done this year as a starter: He’s 4-1 with a 2.03 ERA in 48 2/3 innings at Triple-A Gwinnett County in the Braves organization, including another quality start on Thursday.

Given the number of teams dealing with inconsistent rotations, he will probably be scouted heavily in the weeks to come.

And there is more to his story than two good months in the minors: Resop’s minor-league contract with Atlanta has an intriguing out clause, sources say.

If the right-hander isn’t on Atlanta’s 25-man roster by June 15, Resop can ask the Braves to inform the other 29 teams that he is available. Interested clubs will then have 72 hours to respond, if they are willing to bring him to the majors immediately.

If one club is willing, Resop will become property of that team.

If multiple clubs are interested, the Braves will make the ultimate decision as to where he goes.

Think of it as going through waivers … unofficially.

It’s a situation worth watching – as long as Resop continues to pitch well. — Jon Paul Morosi
        Our ole friend Chris Resop. Always liked him.
        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
        - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• I always liked that his last name backwards was Poser.
          This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

• I liked his initials as a reliever, CPR

Comment

• Originally posted by Fritz View Post
              I always liked that his last name backwards was Poser.
              He was a high draft pick for the Marlins as a hitter and guys used to call him Reflop and Rebate because he just could not hit, hence he the move to the mound.
              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• http://mymetsjournal.blogspot.com/

Comment

• There is a story on NESN.com about how Jeremy Hermida is "Providing Offensive Spark When Red Sox Need Him Most".

He has a .228/.297/.424 line.

Ladies and gentleman, your 2009-2010 Boston Red Sox!

(The story is about his success with men on base in 30 PA. Tis a silly story.)
                  poop

Comment

• The few times I have watched a Red Sox game I've seen Hermida misplay a fly ball I think every time.

Comment

• Scott Olsen said during the MASN broadcast that he throws an unhittable slider.

Comment

• He should throw it sometime then.

Comment

• I see FOX is going to be doing more primetime Saturday games. I like it. The matinee game was getting NHL ratings.

Comment

• I do not like it. Fox is likely going to want blackouts for Saturday nights now. Out of town Marlins fans using MLB.TV will be out of luck on Saturdays.

Comment

• I did some quick googling...

It's only for two days due to interleague play.

Boo.

Comment

• LMAO at Nyjer Morgan.

Comment

Working...
                                X