Rays Lock Up Ben Zobrist for 5 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rays Lock Up Ben Zobrist for 5 Years

UPDATE, 10:12 AM: And the Rays have just called a 1 p.m. press conference to make "a major player announcement."

DEVELOPING: The Rays this afternoon will announce a contract extension for Ben Zobrist that could keep him under their control through 2015.

The first three years, during which Zobrist would have been eligible for arbitration, are guaranteed. The Rays hold options for 2014 and 2015, the first two years Zobrist would be eligible for free agency. Financial terms were not yet available.
    http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/node/25457

Damn. They get it.

I thought just the opposite when I saw this.

Guy has no track record at all, in the majors or the minors. Suddenly out of nowhere puts up huge power numbers and an awesome slash line, struggles out of the gate the next season showing no power, and they lock him up for 5 years? Unless it's only for a few million per, this is a waste of resources that could have been used towards resigning Crawford or Pena.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

When the terms come out, Zobrist will not make more than 1/4 of what Crawford and Pena would get on the open market (yearly).
      --------------------
      (On the back end of the deal)
      Last edited by Party; 04-23-2010, 10:10 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I wish they locked up Carl instead. It's gonna suck seeing him in pinstripes or Red Stocking gear next season.
        This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of Zobrist's, but this is a move you have to make if you're a small market team.

You're buying out his arby years and you're basically in a no-lose mode since you control his FA years as options. He sucks, those options don't get picked up.

Comment

Swift gets it.

Comment

I just disagree. For every year in his career besides one he's been a utility player.

If he were a 25 year old kid who had a spotty track record as a punch and judy hitter who suddenly discovered power, cool. But he's 29 now. They're buying out a guy into his year 30, 31 and 32 seasons who had his major breakthrough last year. I like the Rays and I hope they're getting a good deal and I hope I eat my hat on this one, but I don't think I'm going to.
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

If the Rays exercise both options, Zobrist would earn just under $30 million over the life of the five-year extension.
                -Rays website

Comment

He was just as good in 2008 and he's a beast defensively so that even if he doesn't hit THAT good he's still going to be worth the contract. And if he hits THAT good, he's one of the best contracts in baseball

(Assuming things since contract details aren't out)
                  --------------------
                  Yeah, his FA years are for 7 and 7.5 mil

That's nothing for FA years. If he puts up a .800 OPS with his defense, he's better than the amount he's making. If he puts up a .950 again..yeah.
                  Last edited by nny; 04-23-2010, 01:57 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Worst case scenario they can trade him, not get anyone back, but not have to eat the entire contract.

No other player on their roster they could do that with. Crawford, Garza and Pena are all going to get paid.

Comment

I doubt Pena gets a long term deal of any substance. He turns 32 in a few weeks.
                      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

He'll get 4-60 easy.
                        poop

Comment

I think whoever does that is stupid.
                          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                          Noah Perio
                          Jupiter
                          39 AB
                          15 H
                          0 2B
                          0 3B
                          0 HR
                          0 BB
                          .385/.385/.385

Comment

Why? He'll go somewhere and put up .240/.380/.500 without much effort. With HGH he'll be productive until he's 36 or 37.
                            This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Hes going to be a Red Socker.
                              poop

Comment

Working...
                              X