An Idea So Crazy It Might Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Idea So Crazy It Might Work

When baseball commissioner Bud Selig named a 14-person "special committee for on-field matters" four months ago, he promised that all topics would be in play and "there are no sacred cows." The committee already has made good on Selig's promise by discussing a radical form of "floating" realignment in which teams would not be fixed to a division, but free to change divisions from year-to-year based on geography, payroll and their plans to contend or not.

The concept gained strong support among committee members, many of whom believe there are non-economic avenues that should be explored to improve competitive balance, similar to the NFL's former use of scheduling to help parity (in which weaker teams were awarded a weaker schedule the next season).

As with most issues of competitive balance, floating realignment involves finding a work-around to the Boston-New York axis of power in the AL East. In the 15 seasons during which the wild-card system has been in use, the Red Sox and Yankees have accounted for 38 percent of all AL postseason berths. The league has never conducted playoffs without the Red Sox or Yankees since that format began -- and in eight of those 15 years both teams made the playoffs. Since 2003 the Sox and Yankees have won at least 95 games 11 times in 14 combined seasons.

One example of floating realignment, according to one insider, would work this way: Cleveland, which is rebuilding with a reduced payroll, could opt to leave the AL Central to play in the AL East. The Indians would benefit from an unbalanced schedule that would give them a total of 18 lucrative home dates against the Yankees and Red Sox instead of their current eight. A small or mid-market contender, such as Tampa Bay or Baltimore, could move to the AL Central to get a better crack at postseason play instead of continually fighting against the mega-payrolls of New York and Boston.

Divisions still would loosely follow geographic lines; no team would join a division more than two time zones outside its own, largely to protect local television rights (i.e., start times of games) and travel costs.

Floating realignment also could mean changing the number of teams in a division, teams changing leagues and interleague games throughout the season, according to several sources familiar with the committee's discussions. It is important to remember that the committee's talks are very preliminary and non-binding.

"But if there is something that comes up we feel should be addressed during the season, we can make a recommendation then," said committee co-chair and Braves president John Schuerholz, referring to less complicated issues such as pace-of-game directives. "This is all about any ideas that help make the game better."

The floating realignment idea is nothing more than a concept at this point, part of the brainstorming sessions that have occurred in the committee's one in-person meeting and occasional conference calls. (Selig is pushing for another in-person meeting, such as at the All-Star Game. The committee includes current managers and executives, making in-person meetings logistically difficult.) The mechanics of the system are far from nailed down. But what is important is that the committee is making good on its mission to look at absolutely any on-field idea that could make the game better. Blowing up fixed divisions as we know them -- and even leagues -- certainly qualifies as radical thinking.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0hkBVke2x
    Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

This idea is interesting as hell.
    --------------------
    What happens with the Central divisions? Wouldn't they have an advantage by having two divisions to choose from?

Perhaps they would blow up the entire two league system.
    Last edited by Party; 03-09-2010, 10:25 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Sounds like a terrible idea. Like, really terrible.

Comment

Agreed. I do not like the idea of divisions possibly changing every year. That sounds way too confusing. I like the weighted schedule idea and/or the having more interleague games during the year but not the constantly changing divisions.

Comment

Horrible idea. You want to keep people interested and get the Red Sox / Yankee traveling circus to help attendance issues? Ditch the imbalanced schedule and / or expand the playoffs so you have wild-card play-ins.

Comment

wow this is ridiculous. i fucking hate bud selig

seriously, how hard is it this to fix? go back to the 154 game season and expand the playoffs by a round. get rid of all interleague games except for rivalry games. no one gives a shit about seeing kansas city vs pittsburgh.
          --------------------
          honestly if mlb ran a promotion where they gave like $1 million, free tickets to the team of your choice for a year and free tickets to the all star game and world series to the fan who came up with the best idea, i bet they'd have hundreds of fantastic ideas no one has ever thought of and they'd spend less money and come up with something better than these asshats will
          Last edited by emkayseven; 03-10-2010, 07:53 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I'd be completely against expanding the playoffs by another round. So few teams making the playoffs is one of the things I love about baseball compared to the other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
              I'd be completely against expanding the playoffs by another round. So few teams making the playoffs is one of the things I love about baseball compared to the other sports.

I agree, although I don't like that the Division Series only goes 5 games, while the LCS and World Series go 7 games. Keep the same number of teams in the playoffs, but just expand the Division Series to 7 games.

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
                I agree, although I don't like that the Division Series only goes 5 games, while the LCS and World Series go 7 games. Keep the same number of teams in the playoffs, but just expand the Division Series to 7 games.
                This is the best idea. The first rounds of hockey and basketball are stupid.

I understand the concept behind an idea like this.....but, no. If you're going to move teams around, why bother with geography at all?
                God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                - Daft

Comment

I hate this idea for a number of reasons. But what I hate the most is that, under this plan, someone like Loria could just say "You know what? Fuck competing. We're gonna join the AL East, keep payroll low, and rake in revenue from our home games against the Yanks and Sox."

Comment

Expanding the play-offs by a round diminishes the importance of the 162/154 game season.
                    --------------------
                    Ken Rosenthal proposed aligning the division based on revenue/geography a few weeks ago.
                    Last edited by Party; 03-10-2010, 10:01 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

That would just end up with a Yankees/Mets issue rather than Yankees/Red Sox. Also a lot of organizations would end up having to switch leagues, it causes so many problems.

How about drop divisions all together and just top 4 teams from both leagues go into the playoffs.

Comment

Could we please not make the divisions retarded? Baltimore being central with Cleveland east would make so sense. I'm already annoyed the NFL divisions are retarded and like Dallas in NFC East while St. Louis is NFC West.

Baseball is pretty cool. I like how the MLB is, Bud Selig should stop trying to fix things that are not broken.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

They should have it like the NBA. Top 8 teams in each League go into the playoffs. Shorten the season to accommodate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ice View Post
                            They should have it like the NBA. Top 8 teams in each League go into the playoffs. Shorten the season to accommodate.
                            Problem with shortening the season is you're taking guaranteed income out of owners' pockets and they're not going to go along with it.

Comment

Having 16/30 teams go to the playoffs makes the season mean a whole lot less. Shortening the season would be bad for the game to accommodate the NBA playoff rules. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't make much sense to follow the model of a league that losses money.

Baseball already has the best regular season. The current playoff rules are dandy. You have 162 games to finish ahead of the other teams in your division, so more playoff slots really isn't necessary.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Working...
                              X