The 2017 Game Thread Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
    yeah after looking at Spencer's past lineup tweets I have to agree with your assessment on Nicolino. I agree Worley tomorrow then hopefully Peters is probably the way they'll go.

- - - - - - - - - -

I actually thought of another possibility and unfortunately I think it's more likely than Peters getting called up.

Worley on Tuesday
    Conley on Wednesday
    Despaigne on Thursday
    Why unfortunately? I was at the game on Saturday when Despaigne pitched. Did he really impress you guys all that much? He pitched very well, but their lineup is terrible and he had more walks than k's. It was a huge and necessary performance that we got from him, but i wouldnt push that expecting any more solid starts from him. There was a reason none of us wanted to see him start to begin with.

- - - - - - - - - -

My bad, i read that wrong. I thought you were saying that unfortunately that is not the way that they will go.

I disagree though, I dont think Despaigne starts another game, unless its for Worley. I dont see them going with Worley and Despaigne in the rotation at the same time. they cant possibly be that stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post

My bad, i read that wrong. I thought you were saying that unfortunately that is not the way that they will go.

I disagree though, I dont think Despaigne starts another game, unless its for Worley. I dont see them going with Worley and Despaigne in the rotation at the same time. they cant possibly be that stupid.
      Watch.

Comment

Watch.
        haha, i guess we have learned that we should never doubt the marlins front office stupidity. I just cannot think that a major league organization would be stupid enough to think that Despaigne would be a good idea in the rotation for a 2nd turn. Take the one good start and dont press your luck.

Comment

• To be fair, assuming Peters and Richards aren't the answer (which, frankly, they might not be...worth a try though), it's really tough to find help from outside the organization at this point in the year. There aren't many SP's available in the trade market that present clear upgrades.

The best thing we can do, imo, with September coming around is limit the exposure of our SP's and use the bullpen earlier in games, especially when guys like Nicolino/Worley pitch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
            To be fair, assuming Peters and Richards aren't the answer (which, frankly, they might not be...worth a try though), it's really tough to find help from outside the organization at this point in the year. There aren't many SP's available in the trade market that present clear upgrades.

The best thing we can do, imo, with September coming around is limit the exposure of our SP's and use the bullpen earlier in games, especially when guys like Nicolino/Worley pitch.
            there is definitely someone that they can get that will be at least a replacement level guy. even if they turn out to be bad, the least they could do is try. Im not asking for a top of the rotation guy. Just try with someone who you know is not Worley or Nicolino. Id want Peters called up and then an average pitcher like Dickey or someone like him traded for. It is certainly possible. If they dont do that it is obvious they dont believe in this teams ability regardless.

- - - - - - - - - -

Acquiring someone who can go out there every 5th day and give you at the very least a chance to win should not be difficult. Worley and Nicolino do not do that.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tim Healey‏Verified account @timbhealey 5m5 minutes ago
            More
            Tim Healey Retweeted Pipe
            The Marlins list Vance Worley as their starter for tomorrow.
            Someone asked Time Healey what the marlins plans are and Worley is listed as the starter for tomorrow. So we have Urena, Worley, and then, IMO, likely Peters. Would despaigne even be on full rest by that game? I think it is definitely gonna be peters. Thank god we got at least 1/2 of the terrible guys out of the rotation thus far.

Comment

• Look back at my post. Conley would be on full rest Wednesday, Despaigne on full rest Thursday.

Comment

Look back at my post. Conley would be on full rest Wednesday, Despaigne on full rest Thursday.
                For what it's worth, this is what I see happening too especially after Mattingly talked up Despaigne after Saturday's game. At least for this turn, this is what I see happening. If Worley sucks again tomorrow, they might replace him next time out.

Comment

• Does anyone here think leaving despaigne for another turn, especially against the nats as opposed to the padres, would be a good idea? How in the world could a professional front office think that is a good idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                    there is definitely someone that they can get that will be at least a replacement level guy. even if they turn out to be bad, the least they could do is try. Im not asking for a top of the rotation guy. Just try with someone who you know is not Worley or Nicolino. Id want Peters called up and then an average pitcher like Dickey or someone like him traded for. It is certainly possible. If they dont do that it is obvious they dont believe in this teams ability regardless.

- - - - - - - - - -

Acquiring someone who can go out there every 5th day and give you at the very least a chance to win should not be difficult. Worley and Nicolino do not do that.

- - - - - - - - - -

Someone asked Time Healey what the marlins plans are and Worley is listed as the starter for tomorrow. So we have Urena, Worley, and then, IMO, likely Peters. Would despaigne even be on full rest by that game? I think it is definitely gonna be peters. Thank god we got at least 1/2 of the terrible guys out of the rotation thus far.
                    In order to trade for Dickey at this point though, we would first have to win the waiver claim. There's no guarantee of that. The fact that Dickey is the only name we've been bringing up speaks volumes too. Who else is out there after Dickey? Maybe a guy like Clayton Richard who we faced yesterday? I wouldn't mind him. Think he could do better with our infield defense.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                    Does anyone here think leaving despaigne for another turn, especially against the nats as opposed to the padres, would be a good idea? How in the world could a professional front office think that is a good idea.
                    No. For what it's worth though, he would face the Phillies on Thursday. But I don't think he's a guy we should be trotting out there every 5th day in a playoff race, I agree.

Comment

• trade everything for Verlander, then trade him in the offseason
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                        In order to trade for Dickey at this point though, we would first have to win the waiver claim. There's no guarantee of that. The fact that Dickey is the only name we've been bringing up speaks volumes too. Who else is out there after Dickey? Maybe a guy like Clayton Richard who we faced yesterday? I wouldn't mind him. Think he could do better with our infield defense.
                        Dickey was placed on waivers August 2nd. If I'm understanding the waiver rules right, a player can either be claimed but pulled back, claimed and traded, or claimed and let go, or claimed and traded. The waiver period lasts 47 hours, and if nobody claims him in that period, he can be traded anywhere. I can't find anything about Dickey having been pulled back - or claimed for that matter - so I'd have to think he's cleared waivers, no?

Richard would be nice, but would SD trade him? Furthermore, do we trade with SD after last year?

Comment

• I dont see any team claiming dickey given his 8 million annual salary thus meaning he is still owed over 1 million at least for the rest of the year, but i especially dont see any team that is behind the marlins claiming him.

I wish Samardzjia didnt have such a huge contract because he would be the perfect fit. hit era would go down so much playing not in SF with that terrible defense behind him. His xFIP is 3.45 and he would pitch really well with this defense and ballpark behind him. Wont ever happen because his contract is enormous. Just bringing up a random guy.

Comment

• I don't know if you can get the Giants to take enough money where it's a 3 year $45 Million contract left after this year instead of close to $60 million. I think it's pretty close to market value.

Comment

I don't know if you can get the Giants to take enough money where it's a 3 year $45 Million contract left after this year instead of close to $60 million. I think it's pretty close to market value.
                              even that is way too much given our financial constraints.

Comment

• Im pumped for this game tonight. Quietly optimistic despite Scherzer pitching. Their lineup doesnt scare me nearly as much without Harper and im hoping Scherzer will come off the DL a little rusty.

Comment

Working...
                                X