Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 1: Belen Jesuit Preparatory VS. Christopher Columbus High | 7:10 | Marlins Park

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game 1: Belen Jesuit Preparatory VS. Christopher Columbus High | 7:10 | Marlins Park

Inaugural Baseball Game

7:10 PM
    Marlins Park
    La Pequeña Habana, Miami, FL

Man, I would be nervous as shit if I were one of those kids playing tonight.

Comment

Yeah buddy
      --------------------
      Christian Solis is the correct answer, and the question could become a classic piece of trivia:

Who threw the first pitch in the Miami Marlins’ new stadium?

Solis, a Belen senior, is expected to get that honor Monday night at 7, when the Wolverines play their rival Columbus in a sold-out game — all 6,000 tickets were gone within minutes of being put up for sale.

“I’m hyped up,” Solis said. “Coach [Jerry Albert] told me [Saturday] that I was going to start. I was shocked. I didn’t know what to say.”

Albert and Columbus coach Joe Weber said they are grateful the Marlins selected their schools to open the stadium, which will have a capacity of 37,000 once the major-league season starts on April 4 against the reigning World Series champion St. Louis Cardinals.

“The Marlins have made a conscientious effort to be a Miami team at a grass-roots level,” Albert said. “There can only be one first, and it’s pretty amazing that they wanted two high school teams to get this opportunity.

“Our entire school is excited. I think both schools could have sold 5,000 tickets each if they had given us more tickets. Belen vs. Columbus is a big rivalry. But in this environment, it’s like a Super Bowl.”

Weber said Columbus’ sizable alumni base has been talking about the game since it was put on the schedule.

“I’ve heard of people offering as much as $150 per ticket,” he said. “I can’t imagine any high school baseball game drawing as many fans as we will have on Monday. Even for state title games, we only get about 2,000 fans.

“It should be a lot of fun. It’s something the kids will remember the rest of their lives.”

Junior third baseman Lazaro Rivera, a Florida State recruit, will lead off for Columbus and will get the opportunity to deliver the first hit in the stadium.

Getting the start for Columbus is senior Mike Vinson, a Florida recruit and the team’s ace.

Vinson said he found out 10 days ago he would pitch, but he had hoped for the opportunity all along.

“This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience,” Vinson said. “You can’t ask for anything more. I don’t feel pressure, but I’m excited and nervous.

“There are going to be a lot of people there — it’s a big deal.”

It’s such a big deal that Columbus lost focus last Friday.

The Explorers (6-1) had their six-game win streak snapped, losing to Westminster Christian 5-1. Belen (4-3) also lost twice last week.
      Miami Herald
      Last edited by Omar; 03-05-2012, 10:18 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
      God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
      - Daft

Comment

Ironic that tonight's game might be played under the dome due to cool temperatures.

Comment

I'm here now. The skyline shot at sunset is beautiful.

Comment

Pics?
            This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Game is being webcasted: http://www.laleysports.com/portal/

Comment

Send my thanks to Bob Loblaw Sports for hooking us up with the feed

Comment

Bobblob law

Comment

The first pitch is astrike.

First webgem in the new stadium by the CFer.

Comment

Comment

Comment

The announcers make Rich and Tommy sound hall of fame caliber.

Comment

The lighting doesn't look very bright from all the pics on twitter.

Comment

I was just thinking the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X