Clear All

• 4/12/10 | Reds @ Marlins | 7:10 PM EST

Cincinnati Reds Vs Florida Marlins

Ricky Nolasco

VS

Johnny Cueto

Projected Line Up

Preview
    With his productive and clutch play, Jorge Cantu has helped the Florida Marlins get off to a strong start.

After getting a big game from Cantu to rally for their second straight win, the Marlins open a four-game series with the Cincinnati Reds on Monday night.

An 11-1 start last season gave Florida some confidence, helping it finish in second place in the NL East. The Marlins have had a strong first week of this season, winning four of their last five.

Cantu, who had 100 RBIs last season, has been a big part of that success. He tied a career high with five RBIs as the Marlins rallied to beat Los Angeles 6-5 on Sunday.

Florida (4-2) was trailing 4-0 before Cantu hit a three-run homer in the fourth inning. He then gave the Marlins a 6-5 lead with a two-run double in the seventh.

Cantu capped a three-run rally in the ninth the previous night with a sacrifice fly in a 7-6 victory over the Dodgers.

"We're the kings of drama," Cantu said. "Everybody here is used to that."

The veteran first baseman has 10 RBIs, notching at least one in all six games. Cantu is batting .345 with three home runs and five RBIs in six home games against the Reds (3-3).

"I'm trying not to do too much," he said. "I'm seeing the ball very well."

Cantu has helped Florida overcome some sloppy play and poor relief pitching. The Marlins have committed 10 errors, and their bullpen has a 4.95 ERA.

Ricky Nolasco (0-0, 4.05), set to start for Florida, was the victim of poor relief pitching in his first outing. He was sharp over 6 2/3 innings before being lifted in a 7-6, 10-inning win over New York on Wednesday night.

Nolasco was cruising before walking the first two to start the seventh with the Marlins leading 6-1. The right-hander left after allowing a second run on a sacrifice fly.

He was charged with three runs, allowing three hits and striking out five.

Nolasco is 1-1 with a 5.11 ERA in four starts and one relief appearance against the Reds.

Cincinnati will counter with Johnny Cueto (0-0, 3.00), who had a strong first start, giving up two runs in six innings of a 6-3 loss to St. Louis on Wednesday night.

The right-hander earned a win in his only outing against the Marlins, surrendering three runs and striking out eight in six innings as the Reds won 11-3 on June 6, 2008.

Cincinnati got a boost from rookie starter Mike Leake in a 3-1 win over Chicago on Sunday. The Reds have won three of four after an 0-2 start despite scoring 13 runs over that span.

Cleanup hitter Joey Votto doesn't have an RBI or an extra-base hit since a solo homer in the season opener. Votto had a two-run homer in an 8-1 win over Florida on Sept. 20 in these teams' last meeting.

The Reds and Marlins split six matchups last season.

Spoiler:
    WGW
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

over/under 15,000 in attendance tonight?
      STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Scoutin Report: Johnny Cueto pitches for the Reds and stands only 5' 9" tall, Ricky Nolasco struck out 16 guys one time, and has a pretty awesome goatee.

WGW.

Comment

i love baseball

Comment

NOLASCURVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
            Record when He pitches: 3-2

Comment

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
              over/under 15,000 in attendance tonight?
              under... especially since it's going to be ugly and rainy all day long. I think around 12k.

Comment

Originally posted by Jewbility View Post
                NOLASCURVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
                How is that pronounced?

Comment

I forgot to mention the game will be on MLB Network.

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
                    How is that pronounced?
                    It's funny I actually thought that someone would comment on the excessive EEE's...Maybe it should be NOLASCURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRVE

Comment

Does anyone know Nolasco's WHIP last year

Comment

It was 1.25 or 1.26 I think

Comment

thank you

Comment

I thought it was lower
                            --------------------
                            damnit
                            Last edited by Jewbility; 04-12-2010, 09:55 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

1.25 WHIP is respectable.

His ERA was barely over 5 right?

Comment

Working...
                              X