This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins @ Cardinals - 1:05

Round 2 of the battle for Roger Dean. Today we are the road team. No Pujols for StL today.

MARLINS:

1) Cameron Maybin, CF

2) Donnie Murphy, 2B

3) Hanley Ramirez, SS

4) Jorge Cantu, 3B

5) Gaby Sanchez, 1B

6) Brett Carroll, RF

7) Bryan Petersen, LF

8) Brett Hayes, C

9) Sean West, P

CARDINALS:

1) Julio Lugo, SS

2) Felipe Lopez, 2B

3) Ryan Ludwick, RF

4) Matt Holliday, LF

5) Yadier Molina, C

6) David Freese, 3B

7) Nick Stavinoha, DH

8) Joe Mather, 1B

9) Shane Robinson, CF

Go Fish.

Comment

I have a really dumb question

Why does STL have a DH but we don't?

Comment

Fredi wants the pitchers working on hitting.
        poop

Comment

sean west needs to work on pitching not swinging a bat

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
            Fredi wants the pitchers working on hitting.

Seriously?
            --------------------
            West looks like shit
            Last edited by Namaste; 03-07-2010, 12:25 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

wish this game was on tv.. at least i can listen to it

Comment

Originally posted by Daft View Post
                Seriously?
                --------------------
                West looks like shit
                The marlins pitchers batted .118 last year, 2nd lowest in the NL
                13th in hits, 16th in SO, 13 in ops. we had one of the worst batting rotation in the league.
                Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                Tom Koehler(4-0)
                AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Originally posted by Daft View Post
                  Seriously?
                  --------------------
                  West looks like shit
                  Awesome, right? Not like we have a group of players (Sanchez, Morrison, Jiminez, Richar) trying to make the club as a hitter.

Comment

Don't forget Donnie Murphy

Comment

BC hits one out. 4-1 bad guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish and Chips View Post
                        The marlins pitchers batted .118 last year, 2nd lowest in the NL
                        13th in hits, 16th in SO, 13 in ops. we had one of the worst batting rotation in the league.

They can practice hitting the other 21 hours of the day that they're not playing in a game.

Comment

I have no problem with the pitchers hitting. It treats it more like a real game to them and they do need live reps. It's not like we would uncover a gem with Barden, Murphy, Lamb, Jimenez, Luna, etc. All of them are "replacement level" or "nominal at best" so it really doesn't matter who inevitably makes the club. They probably wouldn't last the year in any situation.

I see 12 position player spots already wrapped up - Baker, G. Sanchez (bench or starter), Uggla, Hanley, Cantu, Coghlan, Maybin, Ross, Paulino, Bonifacio, Carroll, and Helms. They are going to send Morrison (delay arb, wouldn't hurt to get 200+ PA in NOLA), Petersen, Cousins, Stanton, Jai, and Hayes back to the minors.

So the question really is, does anybody really care who the 25th man is? Is an extra PA a week for each one of the contenders going to determine the competition for this slot? I don't think so. I'd just give it to Jimenez to see if he can hang, and if not, just go to plan B, i.e. rotate AAAA players, for pinch hitting until Morrison/Petersen/Whoever "tells" us they are ready to come up for good.
                          --------------------
                          Originally posted by Swift View Post
                          BC hits one out. 4-1 bad guys.
                          versus Rich Hill, a lefty
                          Last edited by lou; 03-07-2010, 01:32 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Shane-o with the start!

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                              I have no problem with the pitchers hitting. It treats it more like a real game to them and they do need live reps. It's not like we would uncover a gem with Barden, Murphy, Lamb, Jimenez, Luna, etc. All of them are "replacement level" or "nominal at best" so it really doesn't matter who inevitably makes the club. They probably wouldn't last the year in any situation.

I see 12 position player spots already wrapped up - Baker, G. Sanchez (bench or starter), Uggla, Hanley, Cantu, Coghlan, Maybin, Ross, Paulino, Bonifacio, Carroll, and Helms. They are going to send Morrison (delay arb, wouldn't hurt to get 200+ PA in NOLA), Petersen, Cousins, Stanton, Jai, and Hayes back to the minors.

So the question really is, does anybody really care who the 25th man is? Is an extra PA a week for each one of the contenders going to determine the competition for this slot? I don't think so. I'd just give it to Jimenez to see if he can hang, and if not, just go to plan B, i.e. rotate AAAA players, for pinch hitting until Morrison/Petersen/Whoever "tells" us they are ready to come up for good.
                              --------------------

versus Rich Hill, a lefty
                              I care because our projected bench is very right handed and not very versatile. If an extra 30 spring AB's makes Richar or Lamb shine then I think it's worth it. "Game situation" for the pitchers, especially in the first 2 weeks of ST is stupid. We're giving them a 30 or 40 pitch leash, let them be in "game situations" for what they're expected to do first before we throw them into the batter's box.

I agree with you that the group we have in camp right now is very uninspiring and, with the exception of Logan/Gaby, those guys are playing for a bench spot and 6 AB's a week, so no big deal, but we still have to try to figure out what we have in these guys, and given that it's 5 guys for 1 starting spot and 1 PH role, using the DH makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X