This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculation: Market for Hermida

Speculation continues to run high that the Marlins will trade outfielder Jeremy Hermida this offseason.

The 25-year-old former first-round pick in 2002, came off a rough season, batting .259 with 13 home runs and 47 RBIs. A strained right oblique on Sept. 2, limited him to one pinch-hit appearance in the final weeks of the season.

Hermida will be entering his second season of arbitration. He made $2.25 million this year, and by the nature of the system, he'd be in line for a raise.

The Marlins are hopeful Cameron Maybin will win the center field position, and Cody Ross is expected to return. Ross, also in his second season of arbitration, could be earmarked for right field, making Hermida expendable.

Some teams believed to be interested in Hermida are the Mariners, Rays, Mets and Blue Jays. The Cubs also could have interest.

Even though Hermida has yet to perform as so many envisioned, he does have value on the open market. He still would be a more affordable option than many soon-to-be free agent outfielders. Also, in arbitration, a team could control his rights for two seasons.

Several scouts feel Hermida may be one of those players who benefits by a change of scenery.
    -- Joe Frisaro

I was under the impression that the Mariners were building around defense, so Hermida would be an interesting match there (not that he's as bad as people think, but he's by no means anything beyond average)... others could be cool matches.
    CSBC Commish

Comment

Originally posted by PitchingWinsGames 2.0 View Post
      I was under the impression that the Mariners were building around defense, so Hermida would be an interesting match there (not that he's as bad as people think, but he's by no means anything beyond average)... others could be cool matches.
      I agree, the Mariners would be an odd choice there. I especially agree because I do think he's as bad as everyone makes him out to be. That guy's an awful outfielder, IMO.

Career UZR/150, 3440 innings in RF: -8 runs
      Most recent Fans Scouting Report in RF: 2.17 out 5, ahead of only five other right fielders, including Jose Guillen, Jack Cust, and Matt Stairs. He's actually behind Jason Kubel and Jermaine Dye, which is pretty ridiculous (or the fans in Minnesota and Chicago are out of their minds).

Of course, that could be a confirmation bias ("I know Hermida's stats suck, and so I'll rate him poorly."), but the idea was to not use any stats in the survey.
      Marlin Maniac, a Florida Marlins blog
      Come attend Intro to Sabermetrics 101!
      Writer, Beyond the Box Score

Comment

The three teams I think he makes the most sense for (Yankees, Red Sox, Angels if they lose Abreu) probably figure to be the top Bay / Holliday bidders...well, except the Yankees; I think they let Matsui walk and make Damon the DH.

Comment

I see an Uggla/Hermida package to the Cubs.

I don't want to play the name game to much, but I think the Marlins would go for a package led by Cashner and the Cubs would be willing to part with him and subordinate "Badenhop" pieces to get a bashing 2B and a young lefty bat with some potential to platoon out there somewhere. Plus once they move Milton to an AL team to DH, it'll be relatively cost neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by PitchingWinsGames 2.0 View Post
            Yes he is.

He may have the tools (debatable) to be better at defense, but point blank he isn't. He's incredibly slow on most angles, fails to catch balls he has to catch, is a pro at misjudging balls, and doesn't have the arm to make up for it. It's not a secret that he'd be a defensive liability in almost any stadium.
            God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
            - Daft

Comment

I miss my Marlins
              STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Gotta love the fact that there is all this talk of a potential Hermida trade and nothing about Uggla moving moved (yet). I know it's still very early, but that could be good news.

Comment

Just wait for the winter meetings I'm sure there will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Sub Zero View Post
                    Yes he is.

He may have the tools (debatable) to be better at defense, but point blank he isn't. He's incredibly slow on most angles, fails to catch balls he has to catch, is a pro at misjudging balls, and doesn't have the arm to make up for it. It's not a secret that he'd be a defensive liability in almost any stadium.
                    Im sorry, you lost me at questioning his arm. I'm certainly not saying the dude's Brett Carroll, but he does have a good arm.
                    CSBC Commish

Comment

Probably a good thing I lost you there, since most of the points were made.

His arm is ok. Not bad, not great, but serviceable based on accuracy and strength together. However, what I said word for word was "doesn't have the arm to make up for it." It, in this sentence, referencing "He's incredibly slow on most angles, fails to catch balls he has to catch, is a pro at misjudging balls". If you think his arm is good enough to make up for all of his other defensive inadequacies, hey that's great. But you'd be wrong.
                      God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                      - Daft

Comment

For a right fielder, he has a bad arm. The only position in the outfield where his arm would be above average is center, but obviously he can't play there.

Comment

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/1...y-hermida.html

appears the red sox was the market

a lefty for the pen, does this mean good bye pinto?

Comment

Welcome to 5:30.

http://www.soflamarlins.com/showthre...9915#post29915

Comment

He gone.
                              - Daft

Comment

Working...
                              X