Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randy St. Claire Named New Pitching Coach

Ugh.

The Florida Marlins have hired former Washington Nationals pitching coach Randy St. Claire as their new pitching coach, a source said Tuesday. St. Claire confirmed he has agreed to a two-year deal.

``I'm very excited -- what a great staff to be able to work with,'' St. Claire said. ``I've seen them pitch a whole lot, and it's a very talented group, and I'm looking forward to working with them. I'm not going to come in and start making wholesale changes on guys. I think some of the guys have pretty solid mechanics, and their deliveries are good. It's more watching them and getting familiar with them and seeing if there are some minor things that can lead to major changes.''

St. Claire, 49, was fired as the Nationals' pitching coach on June 1, in the middle of his seventh year in that position. At the time, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said, ``The numbers speak for themselves. We're last in the major leagues in nine major pitching categories.''

But the Marlins think highly of St. Claire and believe he can help a young staff that finished ninth in the National League in earned-run average (4.29). He replaces Mark Wiley, who was offered another job by the Marlins.

The Marlins had interest in hiring former Diamondbacks and Mariners pitching coach Bryan Price, but he opted to become pitching coach of the Cincinnati Reds.

St. Claire was a coach in the Montreal Expos minor league system in 2002 when owner Jeffrey Loria essentially traded in the Expos for the Marlins. St. Claire could have joined the Marlins organization at that time but decided to stay with the Expos for family reasons.

St. Claire pitched for five teams in a nine-year major league career, finishing with a 12-6 record, nine saves and a 4.14 ERA.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/brea...y/1302290.html
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

--------------------
    I'm opposed to this move because, really, there are only two coaches of consequence, the pitching coach because he actively has a hand in how and what a pitcher pitches (for any further evidence, see Andrew Miller this year) and the hitting coach because when good teams start struggling, he's the first guy fired to light a fire and make people realize they're accountable.

I really wish this team would follow the lead of other small budget organizations and say that if we're not going to be able to spend the resources to keep up with the big guys we'll at least out coach and out scout them...we don't even do that.

Man, this deserves 5 out of 5
    Last edited by Swifty; 10-27-2009, 12:07 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I don't get why this is a bad move. I see it as being a not that big of a move move.

Pitching coach is, in my opinion, pretty overrated. See: Leo Mazzone in Baltimore. If you don't have the guys, it doesn't matter who the coach is.

I wanted Mazzone, but I don't see why anyone would be upset at this.
      poop

Comment

St. Claire was not the reason the Nats were "last in nine major pitching categories"
        --------------------
        Dear god, am I actually with bob on something?
        Last edited by Metes; 10-27-2009, 01:19 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

This is a joke, right? I'm going to wake up tomorrow and find out that this was just a bad dream?

Comment

Might as well hire Phil Brickma.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
              Might as well hire Phil Brickma.
              Hot ice!

Comment

Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                Hot ice!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Wilson View Post
                  St. Claire was not the reason the Nats were "last in nine major pitching categories"
                  --------------------
                  Dear god, am I actually with bob on something?

We agree on things....
                  poop

Comment

The Boss and the impact of coaching.

Comment

I don't think it's St. Claire's fault that the Nationals pitching staff blew this year.

But on the some token, why go after a guy that has done little with the Nats pitching staff over the last 7 years. I mean what on his resume screams out "I can help young pitchers improve"?

Just a goofy move from this Mickey Mouse organization (swidt?)

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                        I don't think it's St. Claire's fault that the Nationals pitching staff blew this year.

But on the some token, why go after a guy that has done little with the Nats pitching staff over the last 7 years. I mean what on his resume screams out "I can help young pitchers improve"?

This. The guy was a pitching coach in the majors for about 8 years and not one of those staffs had a year where they won more games then they lost. Not 1 in 8 years! That's a much larger sample size than the two months he was coach last year.

I also don't see how "watching" and "listening" is going to work, especially with someone like Andrew Miller. I'm not saying that the dude needs to overhaul all of our pitchers but any of us can "watch" and "listen".

I hate this move.

Comment

Well I think you are reading too much into "watching" and "listening". He has a point. He's gotta get to know the pitchers and watch them over the next few months in order to see what he can fix

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post

Well, he's had some success with young pitchers taking the next steps. He hasn't had much to work with there.
                            poop

Comment

Who has taken the next step?

(Honest question)

Comment

Working...
                              X