Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price Turns Down Pitching Coach Position

More on what Ramp just said.

The Marlins seem to be finishing second a lot lately. They couldn't entice John Smoltz to sign with them over the Cardinals when he became a free agent last season. Brad Penny headed for San Francisco rather than make a return engagement in South Florida. Now, Bryan Price has opted to become the Reds pitching coach rather than take the same job with the Marlins.

Price had discussions with several teams and mulled a few offers, including one from the Marlins. In the end, his relationship with President of Baseball Operations Larry Beinfest was not enough to consummate a deal.

"We discussed the job at length and Larry and Jeffrey [Loria] worked hard to get something done," Price said. "Cincinnati was just a better fit. I could have easily worked for Fredi [Gonzalez], Larry and Jeffrey. They did nothing wrong in their efforts to make it work. They were first class all the way.

"They have a great group of pitchers that would have been a treat to work with. Cincy was just a better fit at this time for me and my family."

The Reds having spring training in Arizona affords Price an extra six weeks at home.

The Marlins, who would prefer to hire a pitching coach with previous major league experience, could now turn their attention to Randy St. Claire. Formerly with the Nationals, St. Claire was in his seventh season in the Expos/Nationals franchise before he was fired in early June.

Though former Athletics and Mets pitching coach Rick Peterson last week expressed interest in the job, the Marlins have not considered him. They are not believed to have spoken with original Marlin Bryan Harvey, a Double-A pitching coach in the Rockies system, either. Long-time Indians pitching coach Carl Willis remains available and could be a candidate.
    Bryan Price out, Randy St. Claire in?

In all seriousness, how is Cincy a better fit? I bet Price just thinks our front office is a bunch of jerks, so he went elsewhere.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he just wants to spend those extra 6 weeks in Arizona. Who knows.

I will say I'm not too thrilled with Randy St. Claire as "plan b". I'd rather promote one of our minor league pitching coaches than get St. Claire.

Comment

OH GOD ST. CLAIRE IS EVEN WORSE THAN PETERSON

never thought i'd be hoping for reid cornelius
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
          In all seriousness, how is Cincy a better fit? I bet Price just thinks our front office is a bunch of jerks, so he went elsewhere.
          "The Reds having spring training in Arizona affords Price an extra six weeks at home."

Comment

that's stupid

*wishes there was a better reason*

Comment

People speak English in Cincinnati.

Comment

the manager speaks AAVE
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                X