Andrew Miller Heading to the AFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew Miller Heading to the AFL

MIAMI -- Relying so heavily on youth, the Marlins understand the importance of patience.

Not every player is a finished product when they take the field for the first time. Granted, the organization has been spoiled when it has seen immediate success out of players like Hanley Ramirez and Josh Johnson.

In the case of Andrew Miller, the 24-year-old continues to go through some growing pains.

Still, the organization sees a tremendously gifted player who is looking to put it all together.

The 6-foot-7 former first-round Draft pick is coming off a rough season. He dealt with a demotion to Triple-A New Orleans in July, and then a Minor League disabled list stint due to a right ankle injury. When he returned to the roster, he was used in a relief role.

Miller finished 3-5 with a 4.84 ERA in 20 games, with 14 of them starts.

In hopes of getting Miller on track, the Marlins have sent the lefty to the Arizona Fall League, where he will pitch for the Mesa Solar Sox.

"I've been given a lot of opportunities. I haven't necessarily taken them and run with them yet," Miller said. "But I still think I'm young. I think I have plenty of time to hopefully keep working towards that goal."

When the Marlins acquired Miller from the Tigers in 2007, they were hopeful that he would be a top-of-the-rotation starter. In the blockbuster deal for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis, the Marlins received Miller, outfielder Cameron Maybin, pitcher Burke Badenhop and three other prospects.

Thus far, Miller's first two years with the Marlins have been a struggle. He's a combined 9-15 with a 5.43 ERA in 49 games with 34 starts.

Miller opened 2009 as the Marlins' fifth starter, and he will be given a chance to win a rotation spot in Spring Training.

The history of the game is replete with examples of pitchers who took a while to put it all together.

Randy Johnson, who broke into the big leagues with the Montreal Expos in 1988, labored a couple of seasons and was dealt to Seattle. In 1990, at age 26, Johnson had his first breakthrough season, going 14-11 (3.65) in 33 starts.

Sandy Koufax was 25 when he broke out with an 18-13 season for the Dodgers in 1961.

Not to say Miller's career will at all mirror those of Johnson or Koufax, but they, too, took a while before experiencing consistent big league success.

Like the 6-foot-10 Johnson, Miller is a rangy left-hander who has dealt with command issues early in his career.

An objective in the Fall League is to get Miller some innings while having him refine his delivery.

"I think there are some mechanical problems that are hampering me from throwing pitches where I want to," Miller said. "It's just a process. You have to figure it out as you go."

Because he was optioned to the Minor Leagues in July, and spent time on the disabled list, he was limited to 80 innings at the big league level. For the Zephyrs, he made three starts and was 1-2 with a 7.71 ERA.

And his total Minor League innings, counting some rehab appearances, was 28 2/3. So, he finished 2009 with a total of 108 2/3 innings.

Miller also had limited work in 2008, finishing with 107 1/3 innings with the Marlins, plus another 19 1/3 innings in the Minor Leagues.

The Fall League will give him a chance to build up some innings.

"I haven't thrown that much in general," Miller said. "I've got some things that I'm working on mechanically. In general, my ultimate goal is to throw more strikes.

"It hasn't been easy. I don't think I expected it to be. It is what it is. You try to make the most of it, learn from it, and eventually figure it out.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=fla
    Originally posted by Matt Wilson
    Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
    Tom Koehler(4-0)
    AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

cool
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

pretty certain i take this as a sign that we aren't going to trade him. you could make an argument that they're going to showcase him, but i don't think they'd let a guy who's sucked for two mlb seasons light it up in the afl and then trade him.
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
        pretty certain i take this as a sign that we aren't going to trade him. you could make an argument that they're going to showcase him, but i don't think they'd let a guy who's sucked for two mlb seasons light it up in the afl and then trade him.
        I see no reason why they wouldn't if they can make it work
        CSBC Commish

Comment

I would say this means he isn't getting dumped, but if someone come along, I don't think they would take the hard stance that they did at the deadline that Miller's just not going anywhere.

Were we to revisit a San Diego trade, I think pushing Miller into the proverbial chip pile will undoubtedly happen this time around.

Comment

When I spoke this morning with Andrew Miller, the Marlins lefty told me he had no desire to check out Stephen Strasburg when the hot shot prospect for the Nationals make his Arizona Fall League debut in Phoenix tonight.

"I'm not going out of my way to watch him pitch, let's put it that way," Miller said.

Not that Phoenix is that far out of the way for Miller, who also finds himself in the AFL with Mesa. But Miller is dealing with more pressing issues, such as trying to get his own career on track. He'll resume the process on Saturday when he takes the mound for Mesa.

"I think the plan is just to throw and get some innings," Miller said. "I'm working on the same stuff that I was working on at Triple A and throwing bullpens in September -- mechanical stuff to stay back -- and trying to throw as many strikes as I can. Same thing as always."

The Marlins sent Miller to New Orleans in July for an overhaul. But an ankle injury early on nixed those plans. And when Miller was called back up in September, he was used sparingly, and only out of the bullpen. He has won nine games and lost 15 since arriving in the trade with Detroit, disappointing to say the least for the Marlins.

Jim Fleming, the Marlins' vice president of player development, said Miller's AFL experience would likely consist of making five or six starts totaling 25 to 35 innings. The goal is to have a new and improved Miller ready to go for spring training

"It's really a two-headed goal," Fleming said. "One is to get him some more innings because he didn't have enough (just 80 for the Marlins last season). And two is to get him some more innings to work on those (mechanical) things and establish some consistency with his delivery. He's always been a little bit across his body. We're not taking that totally away. But we're making it a little straighter line to help take some pressure off his knee and help him throw strikes."

Miller had a strikeout/walk ratio of 1.37 last season, which ranked 81st out of 90 National League pitchers with at least 80 innings. Fleming said roving pitching coordinator Wayne Rosenthal would head out to Arizona to monitor Miller. Mesa manager Brandon Hyde, who managed the Marlins'' Double A club in Jacksonville, will also be sending reports back to South Florida.

"Rosy's going out sometime this week and kind of re-establish we're headed in the right direction," Fleming said.
            Andrew Miller: Hoping to Turn a New Leaf (Cactus Thorn?) in the Arizona Fall League

Comment

I know this is just his first AFL start but it looks like Miller is going to need every bit of this AFL stint. It's only been two innings and he's already walked three and has thrown 20 balls to 16 strikes. I'll have a full recap of his night in the AFL thread when the game is over.

Comment

Oh Andrew.

Comment

When I spoke this morning with Andrew Miller, the Marlins lefty told me he had no desire to check out Stephen Strasburg when the hot shot prospect for the Nationals make his Arizona Fall League debut in Phoenix tonight.

"I'm not going out of my way to watch him pitch, let's put it that way," Miller said.
                  Good idea, wouldn't want to go out of your way to see how somebody good at pitching pitches. Might actually learn something. Time is better spent walking as many people as possible.

Comment

Miller is much to busy sucking at life to watch Stephen

Comment

From what I saw on Gameday, it's not like he was missing close, either. His pitches were all over the place and most missed by quite a bit.

Comment

Andrew Miller is in the Fall League to work on some changes that Florida Marlins' coaches have made to his delivery, and while he's no longer a "prospect" in the strict sense of the word, it's a great use of the AFL by the parent club and elevates the overall quality of the league. Miller was strong on Saturday night, with an easier delivery that featured a higher slot (at or near 3/4) and a more in-line landing (meaning he doesn't throw across his body the way he used to). The good news is that he was 92-97 with some sink and showed a hard downward-breaking curveball -- better than the long, sweepy slider he threw from a low 3/4 slot before the changes. The bad news is that he didn't throw strikes, with two four-pitch walks in his two innings and another walk, finishing with 16 strikes thrown in 36 total pitches. The delivery is better, though, and he may just need time to get used to it.
                        http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...me%3dlaw_keith
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                        X