We're #29! We're #29!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're #29! We're #29!

Bolstered by announced crowds of more than 31,000 for each of the last four home games of the 2009 season, the Florida Marlins saw their attendance rise 12.5 percent from 2008.

The Marlins drew 1,465,109 fans for 78 home dates or an average of 18,783 fans a game. That’s up from 1,335,075 or 16,688 fans a game for 80 dates in 2008.
    This season three games were postponed due to rain and doubleheaders were scheduled in which attendance was counted just once. The team wrapped up its home schedule at Land Shark Stadium Sunday getting shut out 4-0 by the New York Mets.

That’s still last in the National League, but up one spot from the basement, where the team dwelled (in attendance) for the past three seasons. The Oakland A’s, who are in 30th place right now, play three more games at home this week, but it’s unlikely their home attendance will surpass the Marlins'.

The past four Marlins games had announced crowds of 31,042; 39,031; 35,666; and 31,167. Remember, Major League Baseball teams announce the number of tickets sold, regardless of whether the tickets are vastly discounted, included as part of sponsors’ deals, or stamped with a $1 figure and donated to charity.
    Wondering about that attendance figure of 31,042 at Wednesday’s Florida Marlins-Philadelphia Phillies game at Land Shark Stadium? So were we. Several people told me that although the stands looked fairly crowded in person and on TV, the actual attendance in the stadium looked more like 20,000 to 22,000.

We all know it’s not unusual for announced attendance to be larger than the actual crowd. Major League Baseball attendance is announced based on the number of tickets sold, even if those tickets are vastly discounted or say, part of a sponsorship package or if the team stamps a $1 figure on them and donates them to charity. Read more about how attendance is tabulated across the leagues in this piece I wrote in 2006.

So, why if the announced attendance was 20,039 for Tuesday’s double header against the Phillies and the team is averaging 18,109 a game this season, would Wednesday’s figure be more than 30,000?

Looks like the Eye on Miami blog may have found an answer. The blog reports Miami-Dade County and city of Miami employees were offered up to four free tickets each to Wednesday’s game. A copy of the email sent to county employees describes the offer as the team’s “thank you to the many organizations in South Florida that make this a great community.” How about a thank you for the hundreds of millions of public dollars going to the team's new ballpark?

The county email also says the “value of the tickets falls below the gift reporting threshold under the County Code.”

No idea how many county or city employees took advantage of the offer, but it’s likely the team accounted for government employees – even if they didn’t show -- in the attendance announced Wednesday.
    http://blogs.trb.com/sports/custom/business/blog/

This is better than having an 'anonymous' fan buy 14K tickets (I think) so we could finish ahead of Montreal in 2002.

?

I really wish you were more descriptive with your thread titles.
    Record when He pitches: 3-2

Comment

You're right I should have named it 'Attendance.'

Comment

Record when He pitches: 3-2

Comment

Comment

I figured this was exactly what it meant when I saw the thread title, and I hadn't even had read about it.

Comment

There's nothing more frustrating in life than having to click on a thread while having absolutely no clue about its subject. If I'm going to go through the incredibly cumbersome task of clicking on a link, I better goddamn well have an executive summary available to me before I have to click on it. Not to mention the immense disappointment when the thread is about something different than what I thought, because then I have to go through the insurmountable task of closing out that window, or possibly even moving to another website or thread.

Comment

Whether or not that is directed at me I prefer more descriptive thread titles to help our Google page rank.

Comment

Your a whore to the search engine industry.

Comment

Last in the NL.

So who's going to say it?

Are these numbers indicative of a market that can support major league baseball? Not drawing over 1.5 mil is just inexcusable and really reflective of either an indifferent community or a detachment from that community, neither of which bode well for long term health of that franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
                      Last in the NL.

Are these numbers indicative of a market that can support major league baseball? Not drawing over 1.5 mil is just inexcusable and really reflective of either an indifferent community or a detachment from that community, neither of which bode well for long term health of that franchise.
                      Why was this year supposed to be any different? All the old arguments are still valid.

Comment

Last in the NL.

I wouldn't write off the market's ability to support an MLB team unless there's attendance issues at the new stadium.

Though the numbers are beyond pathetic for a team with a winning record.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                          Why was this year supposed to be any different? All the old arguments are still valid.
                          The long term stability we now have with the new facility should have brought a push at the turnstiles if the problem really is/was a reluctance to embrace an organization that could be on the way out of town.

There are a lot of things about this year that we should be able to point to as a foundation for growth. The stadium, the Hanley contract, a team with multiple all-stars, a winning record...if this isn't going to get people to come out, a new stadium isn't going to fix that.

I'd absolutely buy the argument that the roof is good for about 500,000 fans per season, but even then you're talking about less than 2 million on the season.

Comment

The long term stability we now have with the new facility should have brought a push at the turnstiles if the problem really is/was a reluctance to embrace an organization that could be on the way out of town.

There are a lot of things about this year that we should be able to point to as a foundation for growth. The stadium, the Hanley contract, a team with multiple all-stars, a winning record...if this isn't going to get people to come out, a new stadium isn't going to fix that.

I'd absolutely buy the argument that the roof is good for about 500,000 fans per season, but even then you're talking about less than 2 million on the season.
                            You're such a hater. It's 3 years away. Way to early for this criticism. No one down here wants to drive an hour through traffic (have you ever driven on 95 North between 3:30-7:00, even with the express lane? Or from the opposite, taking 595 East and dealing with the Turnpike?) after a full day of work to go to a crappy stadium? Just to drive 45-hour home. Multiple times per week. After the team has been in constant turmoil for 15 years with all of the obvious examples I can put here. That stadium is a great place for football 10 times a year, but in a horrible horrible location for baseball.

It's going to be fine when it gets to the urban center. Brickell is insane. Even midtown is starting to get crowded. Let alone it's 15 minutes from other huge areas like the Gables, Grove, South Beach, Universities of Miami and FIU, and to get to the stadium from farther away, you're going against traffic coming into downtown. It would have been better off I-95, but it's good enough.

Psychologically people are going to have their team starting in 2012. Until that building is done, you can't expect a statistically significant jump. Maybe in 2011 as people get the "reserve seats for 2012" deal. But they aren't magically going to draw 2 million in Joe Robbie. This foundation you speak of with the new building, signing Hanley, looks like signing Johnson, having back to back winning years despite the fact pundits pick them for 100 losses every year, etc, is not an instant fix. Going to take a few years as it all revs up.

It's going to be fine. Now the Panthers, they are screwed. Not the Marlins.

Comment

We can go back and forth on this forever, but the fact of the matter is, the Marlins are a team worth watching, and no one seems to do so. Every city in America has traffic problems, not just Miami. Every city in America has hot weather and rain in the summer, not just Miami. It's as if the fans in Miami are so abused that we should just say thank you to them every time they put on a Marleen hat or watch the game, get over it. If they're not showing up for a team worth showing up for, that you know it's OK to love them again and they're not showing up, what fucking gives?

I'm not asking for 3 mil right now, I'm not asking for 2.5 or even 2 mil. I'm asking the very simple question that if a team is winning, and enjoyable and has one of 10 players in baseball actually worth the price of admission, and no one's going, what's the new stadium really going to fix? In 5 years are we going to be blaming the traffic saying "have you ever tried driving south on I-95 during rush hour?" Or "they keep it at 72 with the roof on, I like it at 75, and I'm not wearing a windbreaker to a baseball game, so I'll just stay home."

It's preposterous the excuses we come up with.

Comment

Working...
                              X