JJ Scratched from Sunday Start Due to Flu-Like Symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JJ Scratched from Sunday Start Due to Flu-Like Symptoms

Josh Johnson on Sunday joined first baseman Nick Johnson in quarantine.

Like Nick Johnson, Josh developed flu-like symptoms that worsened to the point where the Marlins scratched him from his scheduled start against the Mets. The Marlins sent home Johnson, who was not expected to travel on team’s charter flight to Atlanta Sunday afternoon. Both Johnsons will likely head up separate from the team.

Chris Volstad started in Johnson’s place.

“A little bit [Saturday], but he came in running a pretty good fever,” manager Fredi Gonzalez said. “You know him. You ask him and ‘I’m good, I’m good.’ We gave him an hour and he wasn’t looking good.”

Johnson arrived in the clubhouse early Sunday prepared to give it a go. He politely declined to speak with reporters about his condition and the decision to scratch him.

Gonzalez did not rule out starting Johnson in Atlanta Tuesday and bringing him back for the regular season finale Sunday in Philadelphia. That’s the only way Johnson would earn the second of two $25,000 bonuses in his contract for making 33 starts.

“Let’s see how he comes back,” Gonzalez said. “Nick has missed two days and he’s still under the weather…We’re taking precautions for the guys that are here.”

Nick Johnson was not in the clubhouse before batting practice. Both players were scheduled to see the doctor before the team flight.
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_baseball_marlins/

What a pussy. Tom Turbow would have started with the flu and put up 31 runs in the first inning.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

I know Fredi and the front office want JJ to continue to pitch but we could be officially eliminated from the playoffs before JJ is healthy enough to pitch again. Might be best just to shut him down.

Comment

he should be shut down

this is stupid

Comment

He should be shut down so he can go home and eat chicken noodle soup and drink ginger ale from a sippy cup so he can get unsick and be well enough in the offseason to sign a long term deal.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

If this is what it takes to shut him down for the year, I'm for it.
            God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
            - Daft

Comment

So much for shutting him down. JJ is taking VandenHurk's start tomorrow and will still make his scheduled start on Sunday.

Comment

That's odd. I agree that it's time to shut JJ down. He has not been terribly effective lately anyway, which is likely due to a tired arm.

Comment

this organization sux

Comment

Working...
                  X