Marlins DFA Dan Straily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins DFA Dan Straily

According to mish. Surprising but excited to start the year with our 5 best starters. Straily
    Has looked awful since his first year here anyways. No one was gonna give anything up

Not released, DFA'd. They can still trade him.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

They are trying hard to trade him. Big issue is he is owed 5 million so putting few teams off but Marlins have told teams they are willing to take $ back.

Boston for Leon and low level
      Philly for OF and low level
      Houston for bat and low level
      SD for bat and low level
      NYY for prospects

Straily pretty much has NO value-we are getting a low level prospect and someone(C/OF) that didn't make another team
      Last edited by tjfla; 03-25-2019, 08:15 AM.

Comment

The only reason to DFA Staily over Chen would be that they believe at some point they'll be able to deal some of Chen's salary, correct? I'm fine with it, makes the beginning of the season a little more exciting, but if it were up to me I would've sent Sandy down to AAA for the beginning of the season, allow him to continue to work on his control, and hope Straily can put together a few quality starts that allows us to get something for him. I can't imagine we get more than a 25-26 year old AAA reliever after DFA'ing him.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
          The only reason to DFA Staily over Chen would be that they believe at some point they'll be able to deal some of Chen's salary, correct? I'm fine with it, makes the beginning of the season a little more exciting, but if it were up to me I would've sent Sandy down to AAA for the beginning of the season, allow him to continue to work on his control, and hope Straily can put together a few quality starts that allows us to get something for him. I can't imagine we get more than a 25-26 year old AAA reliever after DFA'ing him.
          Well owe Straily 1.2 million and Chen 42 million

NEVERMIND!!! Straily was released. He is gone
          Last edited by tjfla; 03-25-2019, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            Well owe Straily 1.2 million and Chen 42 million

NEVERMIND!!! Straily was released. He is gone
            What does it matter how much is owed if Chen is so bad that you'll never be able to trade him anyway? Baseball contracts are guaranteed. Not saying they shouldn't at least try, but I think best case scenario is he becomes a decent reliever and then if you deal him you're still going to have to eat most likely the entire contract sans $4-5 million and probably still get a meager return. Give him a chance in the pen, but it's probably getting close to the point where he's just going to be taking up a spot and they'll need to just cut their losses.

Comment

mostly surprised that Alcantara is in the rotation. They must think he has control under control, I guess. Frankly, if Gallen has looked as good on the back fields as he did yesterday (and he must have in order to earn yesterday's start) I would think he rates a sniff of the rotation moreso than Alcantara.

Comment

I just can’t believe they couldn’t get another roster’s excess players for him. He’ll eat innings for a rebuilding team and he’ll represent an upgrade to a lot of 5 starters on contending teams. Weird move.

Comment

Should have traded him last offseason or in 2017 but Mike Hil
                  "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                  - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Guessing the salary was the big thing holding everything up. No one is gonna take on his contract when you can get better pitchers still on the market for very cheap.

Gotta love loria though, making sure we acquired a mediocre pitcher to really push our 75 win team to 77 wins at the cost of a good young pitcher. He is the absolute worst

Comment

Yeah, not saying we should have gotten top prospects, but we've essentially gotten nothing from Bour, Barraclough, Wittgren, Straily and Dietrich. They should've at least been able to get Cameron Maybin-Bryson Brigman type of deals out of these guys, each one of them is better than Maybin. This is a failure on the FO's part.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                        Yeah, not saying we should have gotten top prospects, but we've essentially gotten nothing from Bour, Barraclough, Wittgren, Straily and Dietrich. They should've at least been able to get Cameron Maybin-Bryson Brigman type of deals out of these guys, each one of them is better than Maybin. This is a failure on the FO's part.
                        All were held onto longer than they should have. Same with Conley and Steck-instead of taking a Phelps type offer they asked for TOP prospects. Could have gotten Brigman offers on all of them at highest value

Comment

Working...
                        X