With the Year Over, Grade the First Year of This Regime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the Year Over, Grade the First Year of This Regime

Obviously grade it on the curve of what could reasonably be expected in year 1 of the rebuild.

I'd go with a C or C+ due to the fact that I loved what our young pitching did this season but our highest profile hitting prospects were tremendously disappointing. Id probably bump it to a C+ because even though a lot of our prospects disappointed it seems like we finally have a consistent plan that we wont stray from and I think that to me is where people really underestimate how different the franchise is now compared to under loria.

It might seem stupid, but I think its beyond critical that we finally have a defined path and a defined and explained strategy for how we wish to build this team up in the upcoming years. Individual prospects might not (and statistically will not) pan out most of the time, but im all about the process more than anything else, including results, and i finally think we are building with a consistent organizational philosophy that makes sense for our market and fan base.

Overall grade: C+
    Major league team: C Pretty much what I expected. Anyone who said this team was historically bad was thinking emotionally instead of actually looking at the roster. Hope we can get closer to 70-maybe 75 wins next year if we can get the pitching that I think we can next year.

Minor League pitchers: B+ Really encouraging that we finally have very very solid SP depth already in year 1 of a rebuild. Maybe none of them take the next step to becoming top of the rotation guys, but I feel confident that we will have 5 major league quality and cost controlled SP's for the forseeable future. IMO, our likely case moving forward is having at least 5 #3-4 SP's and while that might not be the best, it does allow us to stop spending like morons on mediocre major league free agents for big money as well as maybe down the line throw big money at a top of the rotation level talent in free agency (like the cubs did with Lester).

Minor league hitters: C- Dissapointing but still light years ahead of where we were a year and a half ago depth wise. Upper level hitters were disappointing except for maybe dean but the 2018 draft guys gave me hope for a better year next year and I also think Harrison will be fine long term. Getting Victor Victor however would be an enormous game changer.

Front office- C. Overall I still have confidence that we are finally heading in the right direction, but they really messed up not dealing guys earlier in the year and instead waiting until the trade deadline as well as messed up by not signing more veteran depth last offseason. We missed enormous opportunities to sell high on at least Barraclough and Dietrich as well as possibly doing so on Steck and Conley. I really hope they just roll it over into next year though and hope to build their value back up because the only thing worse than not dealing barraclough this year is to not do it and then wait until the offseason when their value is at its lowest. Would be lower but I love the increased emphasis on IFA for the first time in a long time. We havent gotten anyone huge yet but we have a great chance at Victor Victor and in time Im confident we will do better in IFA given that we are actually focused on better facilities and outreach in the carribean.

PR/ New Ownership- C. I think we have finally gotten through the observation part of the new regime and we will finally begin to see changes around the team next year. Last year the messaging was obviously abysmal but I think they are getting the hang of things and we will begin to see a franchise that is better to its fans/corporate sponsors next year. Hope to see some changes to the ballpark as well as a continued emphasis on community outreach to become closer to the heat in terms of interacting with the community.

Your grades (on a curve, obviously this team is a dumpster fire right now)
    Last edited by fish16; 09-29-2018, 09:58 PM.

I was originally going to rate them as either a Stanton, Ozuna, or a Yelich, but decided to rate them a Lewis Brinson, Isan Diaz, Monte Harrison, Jordan Yamamoto, Starlin Castro, Jorge Guzman, Jose Devers, Sandy Alcantara, Magneuris Sierra, Zac Gallen, and Daniel Castano.

My ratings may not be equal.

- - - - - - - - - -

But legitimately, the team could've done 100 things right and they lose points on all of them for how the Yelich situation turned out. That's a franchise changing moment.

Comment

Overall Grade: D-

-The new ownership group traded the 2018 NL MVP (who had an incredibly team friendly contract). They have now traded the 2017 MVP and the 2018 MVP within the last calendar year. Remarkably, they do not have a Vlad Jr/Soto type prospect to show for it.

-The music inside Marlins Park is so loud it is difficult to carry on a light conversation with the person sitting directly next to you.

-They did terrible at the deadline

-The only positive I see is they are doing/will do some good things at the ballpark itself. But the baseball will still be bad. Polishing a turd is fun.

Comment

their grade for the 1st year F.

You traded away back to back NL MVP's and don't have a prospect in the top 25. Inexcusable and NOT the way you build a consistant winner. More like a consistant loser, just like Loria.

Different people, same result. It's hopeless

Comment

F as well. Mike Hill shouldn’t be here.
          "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
          - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

They get an F from me.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            Overall Grade: D-

-The new ownership group traded the 2018 NL MVP (who had an incredibly team friendly contract). They have now traded the 2017 MVP and the 2018 MVP within the last calendar year. Remarkably, they do not have a Vlad Jr/Soto type prospect to show for it.

-The music inside Marlins Park is so loud it is difficult to carry on a light conversation with the person sitting directly next to you.

-They did terrible at the deadline

-The only positive I see is they are doing/will do some good things at the ballpark itself. But the baseball will still be bad. Polishing a turd is fun.
            This. Although another positive is that they’re not ignoring the international market. If they get the 3 Cuban kids signed, I’ll raise it to a D.

Comment

D, saved from an F by virtue of acquiring IFA money and not trading it away. Whether we sign the Mesas and Gaston or not, it's clear they're at least wanting to invest internationally.
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I would say D as well. I think the direction they've taken the organization overall is the right direction. Execution of this direction has been extremely lacking though, at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                  I would say D as well. I think the direction they've taken the organization overall is the right direction. Execution of this direction has been extremely lacking though, at this point.
                  I'd have to agree. The worst part is they traded away the best asset already (Yelich), and while our return may yet turn it around, it's not confidence inspiring in a potential Realmuto trade.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                    their grade for the 1st year F.

You traded away back to back NL MVP's and don't have a prospect in the top 25. Inexcusable and NOT the way you build a consistant winner. More like a consistant loser, just like Loria.

Different people, same result. It's hopeless
                    so to be clear, you predicted 35 wins at most for us, we won 28 more games than your nonsensical prediction and the team gets an F? makes sense. what would your grade have been if we met your expectations of 35 wins? A Q? To put that into perspective, its like you predicted the marlins to have the season they had and they then finished with the same record as the dodgers with 92 wins. Its hard to be off on a prediction by 28 games but you did it.
                    Last edited by fish16; 10-09-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                      so to be clear, you predicted 35 wins at most for us, we won 28 more games than your nonsensical prediction and the team gets an F? makes sense. what would your grade have been if we met your expectations of 35 wins? A Q? To put that into perspective, its like you predicted the marlins to have the season they had and they then finished with the same record as the dodgers with 92 wins. Its hard to be off on a prediction by 28 games but you did it.
                      And there you go again, beating a dead horse, not fully grasping the adult conversation. The bigger story is - they are not much better off after selling off their best assests. It puts them in a nearly impossible situation - if they don't win with the people they traded to reciece (or in collatoral trades with those individuals) they fail, and if they spend money because they failed they look like fools for trading away a very bankable assest in Yelich, who wasn't going to cost them and way outproduce what his market contract was paying him.

You can continue to be snarky about my prediction as much as you wish, it still doesn't change the fact ism this rebuild is going far worse than they expected, and that includes the attendance. They still have not addressed most of the PR problems related to the Loria years. There wasn't much more local tv & radio precense of players & coaches than in the Loria years. And that's just one example.

The pricing structure doesn't reflect the local economic situation either. You cannot charge NY prices for an infereior product in an local economy that has one of the worst socio-economic imbalances in the US, and expect to be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                        And there you go again, beating a dead horse, not fully grasping the adult conversation. The bigger story is - they are not much better off after selling off their best assests. It puts them in a nearly impossible situation - if they don't win with the people they traded to reciece (or in collatoral trades with those individuals) they fail, and if they spend money because they failed they look like fools for trading away a very bankable assest in Yelich, who wasn't going to cost them and way outproduce what his market contract was paying him.

You can continue to be snarky about my prediction as much as you wish, it still doesn't change the fact ism this rebuild is going far worse than they expected, and that includes the attendance. They still have not addressed most of the PR problems related to the Loria years. There wasn't much more local tv & radio precense of players & coaches than in the Loria years. And that's just one example.

The pricing structure doesn't reflect the local economic situation either. You cannot charge NY prices for an infereior product in an local economy that has one of the worst socio-economic imbalances in the US, and expect to be successful.
                        They did lower season ticket prices for 2019.

It'll be interesting to see if they change individual ticket pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                          They did lower season ticket prices for 2019.

It'll be interesting to see if they change individual ticket pricing.
                          If they don't attendance will not change, it might even get worse if the economy bursts like many people think might happen.

Comment

Working...
                          X