Help Me with Why Mattingly Isn't AWFUL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me with Why Mattingly Isn't AWFUL

To me, Mattingly represents all that is wrong with managing. He's a cookie-cutter, "I have my 7th, 8th and 9th inning guys and that's how I'm going to play it, no matter what..." Until Cabrera's HR, Steckenrider had been terrific of late. And the type of terrific that included a low-pitch, highly productive 8th, where he had a good lather going, was clearly on top of his game and would have had no problem coming out for the 9th to finish the game. Conley has had several of these as well. Instead, we go to KB, who has been dreadful since the break... just... because... he's our guy? Then, once inserted, it takes about two fastballs to see that KB has no idea where the pitch is going and has to revert to a rolling breaking ball for strikes (remember a time when KB's slider was an absolute hammer? The type of pitch that led him to leading the free world in K's per 9? Me neither, it's been too long). Yet, he's left hanging out there to squander the lead. You know... because he's the guy. Seems like once upon a time, Brad Zeigler was "the guy" too.

The lack of managing goes beyond the handling of the staff. We take the most toothless line-up in the league, and go station to station, rarely putting the game in motion, rarely move a guy over...

The closest line-up I can think of to us is in Tampa. Like us, they are a low-budget, mostly talent-devoid crew... but Cash is an absolute innovator. Great example of a manager getting his team to overachieve. When was the last time you thought that about Don?

To add to this, Mattingly was the same type cookie cutter manager when he was with the Dodgers but his inefficiencies weren’t as glaring because that team was better.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
      To add to this, Mattingly was the same type cookie cutter manager when he was with the Dodgers but his inefficiencies weren’t as glaring because that team was better.
      Excellent point. How bad do you have to be to not win with the Dodgers?

At least tonight he found it in himself to take KB out with only 1 run in and the bases loaded.

Comment

He's bad, but then again, most managers are. A lot of good managers are masked by their team's talent. The really good ones are the ones who innovate or use all tools at their disposal (Cash, Maddon, Hinch, etc.) but they're few and far between.
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
          He's bad, but then again, most managers are. A lot of good managers are masked by their team's talent. The really good ones are the ones who innovate or use all tools at their disposal (Cash, Maddon, Hinch, etc.) but they're few and far between.
          That's because they're a product of their innovative front office. Our front office still sucks just like the last one.

Comment

The Marlins have had a lot of managers. I don't recall fans (at least those on message boards) ever liking any of them. I would assume that goes for most fanbases though.

Comment

It's true, our best manager was a senior citizen who could barely remember the players' names.

Comment

Fans hate managers, just like fans hate closers and middle relievers. Just a fact of life.
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                X