Tampa Bay Rays Announce Stadium Plans with Renderings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa Bay Rays Announce Stadium Plans with Renderings

I know it's not a Marlins topic, but I didn't see another place to post it.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2...adium-details/

TAMPA — The Rays on Tuesday unveiled plans for an Ybor City stadium that has see-through sliding glass walls, a fixed translucent roof and is integrated into the neighborhood with an evolving design.

"It will provide a ballpark experience like no other," Rays executive Melanie Lenz said.

The estimated cost of the stadium and infrastructure is $892 million. The stadium cost is $809 million, and the roof is about $240 million of that.

As for arguably the biggest question of who is paying for what, team president Brian Auld said, "We don't have those answers yet."

Rendering for the field at the new Rays stadium in Tampa. (Rays)Rendering for the field at the new Rays stadium in Tampa. (Rays)
    Principal owner Stuart Sternberg talked about the "ingenuity" involved in the design and seating concepts which include picnic, patio, table and fountain seating areas among others.

The stadium would seat 28,216 and, with standing areas, would hold 30,842, which would be the smallest in Major League Baseball.

Stadium design officials said the idea of having the sliding walls is to "let the outside in and the inside out."

Hopefully it gets done. They need a new stadium and I love that part of tampa

Comment

28K seats is amazing
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
        28K seats is amazing
        Don’t know why more teams didn’t build their stadium with that amount of seats. Very few teams will ever have enough fans to consistently fill 40.000 seats 81 times a year and it would create a better atmosphere in a smaller stadium than a bigger stadium with the same amount of fans

Comment

28K seats is brutal for playoff series but I see why Tampa would go small.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            28K seats is brutal for playoff series but I see why Tampa would go small.
            I know thats the argument but first off 28K in a smaller environment is still loud as shit and second it doesnt make much sense to cater to the possibility of like at most 10 home games every few years rather than the 81 that are guaranteed every year.

Comment

Interesting how much foul ground is behind home plate, at least from the rendering.

Comment

Not a fan of how far from the field the seats in the second and third deck would be-- especially with all the space behind the backstop. Putting fans close to the field is one of the things Tropicana Field does well.

I want Tampa Bay to succeed as a market, but it would be amazing if the Marlins had the third largest state in the country to themselves for TV viewership purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Party View Post
                  Not a fan of how far from the field the seats in the second and third deck would be-- especially with all the space behind the backstop. Putting fans close to the field is one of the things Tropicana Field does well.

I want Tampa Bay to succeed as a market, but it would be amazing if the Marlins had the third largest state in the country to themselves for TV viewership purposes.
                  You know what I just realized with your comment - it doesn't appear the second "deck" (and maybe the third too) overhangs the first level, or maybe it's just a weird rendering that's creating that illusion.

I've also wondered what Marlins viewership would be like if the Rays weren't in the state.

Comment

Working...
                  X