No announcement yet.

2018 Spring Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's pitching: Another look at Elieser Hernandez and Dillon Peters. Rule 5 acquisition Hernandez pitched in the Carolina A+ League last season so can be comped with Jordan Yamamoto, who also threw there. Hernandez tossed 60-some innings there, half of Yamamoto's total, with very similar results. His ERA was significantly higher despite similar peripherals - the difference being more HR balls. Hernandez is a year older. This is one of those situations where opportunity is based on Rule 5 more than ability/potential. Yamamoto barely got a look. I'd say that Hernandez has a chance to stick - and that actually bodes well for Yamamoto's future. Peters, obviously, has to find the plate if he is going to take a place in the Marlin rotation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
      you really dont get it do you? You really dont understand the difference between a 25 year old in AA vs a 21 year old?
      Pablo Lopez is six months younger than Alcantara and put up a 6K per W ratio last season. Alcantara barely manages 2K per W. Lopez strikes me as the much better prospect. As far as age comps go, I'm not a buyer. Carribbean/Latin players generally have lots of extra years on their arms at an early age - baseball is what they do.[/QUOTE]

I mean if you dont want to "buy in" to a pretty fairly proven thing in the age comps then thats you. Youre flat out wrong though. Age matters. Physical mturity relative to your opponents matters. "stuff" matters.

Comment

• I love Andy Beltre and see him in the pen in 2019 however he is NOT better than Alcantara.

As for Galloway he is terrible. Solid in field but can not hit. Its like Yefri Perez-solid in field and stole 60 bases however can't hit ML pitching. We have guys in minors who are solid baseball guys however can't hit which is BIG issue

Lopez will be a ML if he can throw 96. He is Henderson Alvarez like. Throws strikes and can eat innings-just needs more time in minors

- - - - - - - - - -

Don't forget GAME on FOX today at 1!!!

Comment

• Projected Opening Day lineup posted by MLB.com. Maybin batting lead off? A .318 career OBP (matching last year) figures to be the worst on the entire team. Lots complained about Dee hitting first last year and he was closer to .345. The Brewers project to have Yelich leading off, where he has always belonged. Imagine how many more runs the Marlins would have scored last season (and more games won) if Yelich had led off. Braxton Lee or Isaac Galloway would be the more logical choices.

Comment

• I don't love Galloway as much as Lee Stone over here, but I would not at all be surprised if he establishes himself as solid 4th OF in the big leagues this year. I think he turned the corner last year and it's continuing this spring. He's gotta stay healthy though. He's got the athletic ability and defense to be the ideal 4th OF, he just has to hit enough, and it looks like he's starting to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
              Nope, that is 100% your choice how you get treated.

Meaning: I either agree with your point of view or I'm crazy. Not just Andy Beltre, but Richards, Meyer, M Gonzalez, and Pablo Lopez - all sent down today - have all enjoyed more success at getting batters out than Alcantara. I'm supposed to be captivated by the potential that gushes from MLB Pipeline? No thanks. A simple statistical review reveals that Alcantara is fairly easy to hit and walks too many. Furthermore, that trend is difficult to reverse. And yes, I think a lot of Galloway.
              First, we all hate MLB pipeline.

Second, another honest question. I'll ask in a hypothetical:

Let's give Alcantara a 15% change of becoming a stud # 2SP/top closer, a 15% chance he is decent 3/4 SP or good 3rd RHP in the pen, and a 20% chance he is a whatever reliever. Other 50% is a bust/non MLB. 50% chance Alcantara is a MLB player.

Let's say Pablo has a 10% chance of being a # 5 SP and a 50% chance of being a non-top option reliever. 60% chance Pablo is a MLB player.

Who is the better prospect. Pablo with a higher floor and less bust potential, or Alcantara because of the higher ceiling.

This is also subjective, I am just trying to understand you.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                First, we all hate MLB pipeline.

Second, another honest question. I'll ask in a hypothetical:

Let's give Alcantara a 15% change of becoming a stud # 2SP/top closer, a 15% chance he is decent 3/4 SP or good 3rd RHP in the pen, and a 20% chance he is a whatever reliever. Other 50% is a bust/non MLB. 50% chance Alcantara is a MLB player.

Let's say Pablo has a 10% chance of being a # 5 SP and a 50% chance of being a non-top option reliever. 60% chance Pablo is a MLB player.

Who is the better prospect. Pablo with a higher floor and less bust potential, or Alcantara because of the higher ceiling.

This is also subjective, I am just trying to understand you.
                MLB Pipeline is good for scouting reports but the rankings are a joke. They put stock into where the guy was drafted or how much they signed for.

When we drafted Blake Anderson and Twine they had them in Top 15 even tho they werent in Top 250 of draft. Same LY with Hock and Lillie

Comment

• Lol Isaac Galloway

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                    Lol Issac Galloway
                    Exactly. He was 27 LY year destroying GCL/A/AA Pitching now all of a sudden he is a ML Player?

4th OF on AAA sure but he is bad

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                      Exactly. He was 27 LY year destroying GCL/A/AA Pitching now all of a sudden he is a ML Player?

Personally, I hope he gets a shot at some point this year like as a pinch runner or something since he’s been so resilient, but the idea of him leading off is a joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post

Half his ABs last year came at AAA and he OPS'd over .900, more than any other level. I didn't need inside info to look that up.

It's still a super small sample size even so, but it's enough ABs to call it a trend. Do I think he's closer to the .636 OPS guy he was in 2016 than the .900+ OPS guy he was in limited time last year? Yes, but if he puts up an OPS between .750 and .800 this year in AAA he'll get a look at the big league level this year, there's no doubt in my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                          Personally, I hope he gets a shot at some point this year like as a pinch runner or something since he’s been so resilient, but the idea of him leading off is a joke.
                          Totally. He would be a super fun September callup and a nice reward for a good organizational soldier. It would be close to as fun as when Joe Strong came up as a 37 year old rookie or whatever. Really dating myself with OMGNunez and Joe Strong references last day.

Comment

• Looks like they are gonna have to keep Elieser.

Comment

• elieser looks like a really nice find so far. Id give him a shot in the rotation. We really need to sign a veteran though soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                                elieser looks like a really nice find so far. Id give him a shot in the rotation. We really need to sign a veteran though soon.
                                Still see him as a RP but could be a nice LR/Spot guy

Would rather see if they could trade a DSL guy for his rights and send him to AA but they have to keep him

Comment

Working...
                                X