No announcement yet.

2018 Spring Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also, 53/82 in SBs the last 2 years. Edit: not as bad as I thought, but still not good.
    Last edited by Nick; 03-05-2018, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
      I fully agree if Sierra can put up a .750 OPS he'll be a very productive major league player. I just don't see how you could expect that when he hasn't been able to achieve a .750 OPS above Rookie Ball.
      He's been fairly young for his level at every level too and has only played 2 years above rookie ball, the first of which he hit .307 with a 730 OPS in the same level as our Greensboro league and then last year he was hitting relatively well in the FSL before he was for some reason promoted from A+ to MLB and then after just 20 games at A+ and then MLB he was sent to AA for some reason. He would have put up a .750 OPS likely in STL's jupiter team had he been given the full year there.

I think Sierra should be sent to Jax to start the year, then New Orleans once he hits well in Jax and only then in August/September be brought up to the big leagues. He seems like a guy who has the ability but needs to be given time to adjust to each leagues increase in pitching talent because he's obviously not the kind of guy who can rely on power to overcompensate for a lack of experience like a lot of other guys can.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
      Also, 53/82 in SBs the last 2 years. Edit: not as bad as I thought, but still not good.
      that's a legit criticism that I want to see him improve on. That to me is a skill that can be developed with age though as opposed to him developing any kind of significant power. We've had some guys improve on that with us though recently.

But ya thats another reason i want to see him go to each level as opposed to us just making him an MLB regular off of a good half season in Jacksonville.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        I never was in the Sierra is a 4th OF camp.
        Not saying U. But 2 or 3 have said it on here

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          Not saying U. But 2 or 3 have said it on here
          I see why they say that, but i just think that even if he never gets above a .700 OPS type of guy that is still a very solid-above average OF'er if his defensive tool is as good as it is reported. I really think Jarrod Dyson with hopefully a bit more hitting potential is a really good comparison. Dyson is a really efficient base stealer though and thats something Sierra really has to improve on.

Comment

• Likely to AAA but both OF's are packed

Harrison/Barrett/Dean/Bird/Silviano/maybe Brian Miller? in AA
            Lee/Shuck/Galloway/Norwood/Ortega/Sierra in AAA

Garrett/Sullivan/Soto/Knapp/likely Brian Miller? in Hi A
            Santos/Cespedes/Hernandez/Bennett/Harrison White/Encarnacion in Low A

Pitching/OF and 3B have lots of depth. Still short at C and MIF even tho SS has gotten alot better

SS
            Jax-Culver
            Jupiter-Dunand/Pintor
            GBoro-Torres
            Batavia-Devers
            GCL-Marinez

Comment

• Moving Brinson to 1B would be idiotic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                Moving Brinson to 1B would be idiotic.
                Well u would only do it IF Brian Miller turns into Brett Gardner type. Hits over .300 in #2 Spot and such. What will likely happen is Harrison/Sierra/Brinson Lee as 4th for 2020 BUT throwing it out as a possiblity

Comment

Well u would only do it IF Brian Miller turns into Brett Gardner type. Hits over .300 in #2 Spot and such. What will likely happen is Harrison/Sierra/Brinson Lee as 4th for 2020 BUT throwing it out as a possiblity
                  In that case, what should be done is trade the surplus for pitching. Good problem to have. None of those guys should move to 1B. It eliminates a lot of their value.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                    In that case, what should be done is trade the surplus for pitching. Good problem to have. None of those guys should move to 1B. It eliminates a lot of their value.
                    Eliminates value? The value in Brinson is the fact he can hit and has power and when we trade Bour we will need someone there

Its the same if we trade JT for Soto or Kyle Tucker. We would have Harrison/Sierra/Soto with Brinson to 1B OR Harrison/Sierra/Brinson with Tucker to 1B. I am NOT saying they are gonna do it but I am saying if Brian Miller turns into a Brett Gardner type then why not look at it? #2 in lineup/hits .300+ and does the little stuff

Everyone is worried about where can they play or if they arent a SP then they don't have value. The goal is to have the most talent possible by 2020 regardless of position

We are going to be going hard after pitching in the draft(Gilbert/Rolison/Kowar/Mize at #13) and looks like IFA too with Sandy Gaston. Plus should have 40+ million in FA in 2020 to get a #1 SP

Comment

• His athleticism in the outfield is of no value at all? If you don't have a 1st base prospect it's usually pretty easy to find an aging free agent hitter to play as 1st base for a couple of years. Then turn the excess value into a more hard to find commodity (Pitcher/Catcher/Middle Infield)

I had the same reaction when people would want to move Stanton or Yelich to 1st base or Prado to the OF, it makes no sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                        thats further bad news for the keep Brinson and Anderson down group.
                        Prado and Riddle's health should have no impact on those decisions.

Also, pretty easy to have Adaems on the roster for Riddle, Dietrich playing 3B until anyone is healthy, and call up pretty much anybody to be the last bat on the roster until someone is healthy. Realmuto, Bour, Castro, Rojas, Dietrich, SVS/Cooper, Maybin, Ortega/SVS, B - Cooper, Adames, Wallach, "last bat."

Totally fine for a few weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                          Prado and Riddle's health should have no impact on those decisions.

Also, pretty easy to have Adaems on the roster for Riddle, Dietrich playing 3B until anyone is healthy, and call up pretty much anybody to be the last bat on the roster until someone is healthy. Realmuto, Bour, Castro, Rojas, Dietrich, SVS/Cooper, Maybin, Ortega/SVS, B - Cooper, Adames, Wallach, "last bat."

Totally fine for a few weeks.
                          agreed, im talking about what the FO ends up actually doing as opposed to what i think they should do. I think its pretty clear at this point that they will have Brinson and Anderson up to start the year.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                          Eliminates value? The value in Brinson is the fact he can hit and has power and when we trade Bour we will need someone there

Its the same if we trade JT for Soto or Kyle Tucker. We would have Harrison/Sierra/Soto with Brinson to 1B OR Harrison/Sierra/Brinson with Tucker to 1B. I am NOT saying they are gonna do it but I am saying if Brian Miller turns into a Brett Gardner type then why not look at it? #2 in lineup/hits .300+ and does the little stuff

Everyone is worried about where can they play or if they arent a SP then they don't have value. The goal is to have the most talent possible by 2020 regardless of position

We are going to be going hard after pitching in the draft(Gilbert/Rolison/Kowar/Mize at #13) and looks like IFA too with Sandy Gaston. Plus should have 40+ million in FA in 2020 to get a #1 SP
                          These things generally work themselves out anyways. I know youre just talking about the possibility of this happening in the future, but these things almost always work themselves out in the end.

Comment

• Jon Heyman

Verified account

@JonHeyman
                            7m7 minutes ago
                            More
                            Rangers are hoping to sign Cuban cf jp Martinez soon after he’s eligible tomorrow. They have about 2.8M to use. JPM could wait til July 2 signing period but Texas has inside track.

6 replies 14 retweets 31 likes
                            Heyman on twitter.

Comment

If Kowar falls to us at 13 I'd be shocked.

If Kowar falls to us at 13 and we don't draft him I'm going to lose my shit more than that time Carlos Rodon fell into our lap and we passed.
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                                If Kowar falls to us at 13 I'd be shocked.

If Kowar falls to us at 13 and we don't draft him I'm going to lose my shit more than that time Carlos Rodon fell into our lap and we passed.
                                Ya I doubt Kowar is there at #13 just saying those are possibles in 8-12 range and 1 or 2 will get to #13. Very Top Heavy College arm draft(which is good for us)

- - - - - - - - - -

In kinda Marlins news

Martinez signed with Texas for 2.8 million. BA has him at #60 Prospect

Seth Romero(who some thought would be in a JT trade) was suspended by Washington.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ng-team-policy

- - - - - - - - - -

Marlins have told ALL teams they are open for business and have stuff at C/1B/2B/3B/UT/OF/SP/RP. Pretty much if u need something Call US
                                Last edited by tjfla; 03-06-2018, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X