Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
    Mets signed Swarzak to a 2 year $14 million deal. Ziegler for 1 year $9 million doesn’t look so bad.
    Swarzak was rather dominant last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      I just get a kick out of it when guys like Frisaro mentions stuff 12 hrs after everyone else has heard it

No worries I wont mention anything about Ozuna until it happens(Dont wanna be beyond obnoxious)

- - - - - - - - - -

We are they just were talking-they asked for Austin Hays but were told maybe/not likely. More likely centerpiece is Cedric Mullins/Tanner Scott with Yefry Ramirez/Alex Wells/Matthias Dietz as other pieces

- - - - - - - - - -

Yelich is getting massive amounts of hits

Braves are still favorites because they will take Prado and most of his contract. However they would like a top bat in deal which Atlanta doesn't really have

They are dealing with Ozuna/Straily/Starlin Castro.Ziegler more right now
      You're missing the point about the obnoxious things - we don't mind the rumors, it's the "I told you so, I said this X days ago, etc."

---

I still don't like the idea of trading Yelich either, especially if we have to attach Prado to him and lessen the return.

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
      Mets signed Swarzak to a 2 year $14 million deal. Ziegler for 1 year $9 million doesn’t look so bad.
      That's been my opinion too - with the way Ziegler pitched after the break last year, and the contracts that are being signed now for relievers, I don't think his deal is as bad as some think it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
        You're missing the point about the obnoxious things - we don't mind the rumors, it's the "I told you so, I said this X days ago, etc."

---

I still don't like the idea of trading Yelich either, especially if we have to attach Prado to him and lessen the return.

That's been my opinion too - with the way Ziegler pitched after the break last year, and the contracts that are being signed now for relievers, I don't think his deal is as bad as some think it is.
        he had a good month. thats about it. I think this whole idea of him having this great second half is a little ridiculous. He is a bad contract coming off an even worse year. He has almost no value right now. I think we should wait till the deadline and get whatever we can for him there.

- - - - - - - - - -

Ken Rosenthal‏Verified account
        @Ken_Rosenthal
        34s34 seconds ago
        More
        #STLCards making progress on acquiring Ozuna from the #Marlins, sources tell The Athletic.

YES!

Comment

• Key thing on Ziegler is he showed he can close out games. Big thing to teams and adds value. Also dont forget he throws 85 and below-teams with 5 guys who throw a 100 might like that different look

Comment

Key thing on Ziegler is he showed he can close out games. Big thing to teams and adds value. Also dont forget he throws 85 and below-teams with 5 guys who throw a 100 might like that different look
            teams really still think closing games is some sort of skill? as opposed to throwing in the 7th or 8th inning?

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              teams really still think closing games is some sort of skill? as opposed to throwing in the 7th or 8th inning?
              Yep. I mean its not as important but not every guy can finish a game

Comment

Yep. I mean its not as important but not every guy can finish a game
                The good ones can. There is no discernible skill in being able to close games.

Comment

The good ones can. There is no discernible skill in being able to close games.
                  If you succeed closing games, you’re probably reliable in high-leverage situations which is what teams are paying for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                    If you succeed closing games, you’re probably reliable in high-leverage situations which is what teams are paying for.
                    im saying good relievers can get 3 outs no matter what. having "closing experience" is just people who have been given the opportunity.

Comment

• Greg Holland off market

Colorado-Holland,McGee,Shaw

Comment

Man, there have been a ton of really bad reliever deals signed in the past few days. Will never understand signing a reliever to a multi year deal unless they are dominant and most of these guys are the epitome of average
                        I think part of it is, we are conditioned as Marlins fans to think cheap. Other teams have literally double the payroll and hypothetically have the rest of their roster filled out. If ownership says you can spend X, you're under that budget, and don't need to acquire anyone else/can't acquire anyone else, why the hell wouldn't you just pay a .5+ WAR RP upgrade for $5-7 million a year? It could make sense for a contender looking for every win.

I'm not saying spending that money is per se smart (it's likely not), but just musing that there are scenarios where it can make sense as the money doesn't matter as teams with payroll don't need to make every million count now and longterm.

I hope for the day we get there.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                          I think part of it is, we are conditioned as Marlins fans to think cheap. Other teams have literally double the payroll and hypothetically have the rest of their roster filled out. If ownership says you can spend X, you're under that budget, and don't need to acquire anyone else/can't acquire anyone else, why the hell wouldn't you just pay a .5+ WAR RP upgrade for $5-7 million a year? It could make sense for a contender looking for every win.

I'm not saying spending that money is per se smart (it's likely not), but just musing that there are scenarios where it can make sense as the money doesn't matter as teams with payroll don't need to make every million count now and longterm.

I hope for the day we get there.
                          true. I shouldnt say that those kinds of deals are never smart, cause for teams like the cubs who have added a few relievers they are probably helpful deals, but teams like the phillies adding multiple relievers the last few days. What in the fuck are they doing? Unless the plan is to give them closing opportunities to gain trade value and then flip them at the deadline i just dont get it.

Comment

• According to Rosenthal, with prices for free agent relievers soaring, teams are looking to trade for some. If the value is there, I'd look to move Barraclough now. Or else, he could be the latest reliever the Marlins miss the boat selling high on.

Comment

• I think it's the tribe/yankees recent bullpen success and its a copycat league. I think we're entering an era where there are going to be 110 IP Miller/Devenski/D. Phelps/etc. types coming in 55 games a year and averaging 2 innings.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                                I think it's the tribe/yankees recent bullpen success and its a copycat league. I think we're entering an era where there are going to be 110 IP Miller/Devenski/D. Phelps/etc. types coming in 55 games a year and averaging 2 innings.
                                i should clarify, high k/low BB/low whip RP's are incredibly valuable. My problem is with guys like ziegler and tazawa who are the definition of average getting multi year deals for millions.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                                According to Rosenthal, with prices for free agent relievers soaring, teams are looking to trade for some. If the value is there, I'd look to move Barraclough now. Or else, he could be the latest reliever the Marlins miss the boat selling high on.
                                Yup. Been saying that for a while. He has pretty strong value too considering i believe he is still under team control for a years.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, selling high on barraclough now would allow Ziegler more opportunities before the deadline and possibly increase his value too.

Comment

Working...
                                X