Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kusch View Post
    So what’s the deal with Bour, Prado, and Gordon? Are they going to be gone?
    Yes. They will finalize the stanton deal first because that's the biggest fish to fry. Then likely gordon cause there are a bunch of teams that need 2b's and then i think Ozuna. Bour and Straily will be after the winter meetings i would think because they are cost controlled guys who might have higher value after teams strike out on mid rotation guys or 1b guys in free agency.

Comment

• Originally posted by kusch View Post
      So what’s the deal with Bour, Prado, and Gordon? Are they going to be gone?
      Prado maybe they are trying hard but contract is bad
      Gordon YES
      Bour ? If Shaw is in the deal then yep. They go with a Shaw/Cooper platoon and Bour goes to someone(AL team who misses on Hosmer,Santana) for prospects

Comment

• Ya, given that prado isnt gonna be attached to Stanton and i find it hard to believe that he will be attached to Ozuna, i think he is the type of guy who could potentially stay, hopefully get healthy and play to his capabilities, and then be traded at the deadline. He is versatile defensively (or at least he used to be) so i think he could plug a hole in the lineup somewhere for the first half and hopefully rebuild his value a little bit.

Comment

• If that deal Mish mentioned were what they get, that would be a nice resolution at this point. It's not fair value for a player of Stanton's caliber, but it's much better than the packages I was expecting from the Giants.

If the Cardinals offer really is better than that one, it would have to be more than Alcantara as the headliner. There are quite a few reports out there that the Cardinals have gone all in on this offering the best package of prospects, AND the most money. The St. Louis dispatch said that the Cardinals want to keep Reyes and Hicks, and that the deal would likely be headlined by Alcantara and Flaherty. I wonder what else is in that deal.

Comment

• Hopefully Stanton's people stick to the deadline and this can get done by tommorrow

The hold up is they are trying to get LAD to say they are interested and talk to Miami before he says Yes to SF.

Comment

• Im over the LAD stuff. It's clear they arent willing to move on to increase payroll. stanton needs to either get over that and accept a trade to SF or STL or just stay here. Either way, we have an entire rest of the team we need to get moving on if he decides not to waive his NTC for anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                If that deal Mish mentioned were what they get, that would be a nice resolution at this point. It's not fair value for a player of Stanton's caliber, but it's much better than the packages I was expecting from the Giants.

If the Cardinals offer really is better than that one, it would have to be more than Alcantara as the headliner. There are quite a few reports out there that the Cardinals have gone all in on this offering the best package of prospects, AND the most money. The St. Louis dispatch said that the Cardinals want to keep Reyes and Hicks, and that the deal would likely be headlined by Alcantara and Flaherty. I wonder what else is in that deal.
                Like said Alcantara was #2 pitcher. 1 deal included Wacha and the other deal included Flaherty. I liked the St Louis deals better(more pitching) but the SF isn't bad

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                  Yes. They will finalize the stanton deal first because that's the biggest fish to fry. Then likely gordon cause there are a bunch of teams that need 2b's and then i think Ozuna. Bour and Straily will be after the winter meetings i would think because they are cost controlled guys who might have higher value after teams strike out on mid rotation guys or 1b guys in free agency.
                  I think the most value they'll get on Straily is at the deadline. That's when teams in the hunt overpay for a pitcher like him. The problem with that is if his play falls off a bit before then. If the best they can get for him is essentially what we gave up for him, though, I'd take the chance and wait.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  Like said Alcantara was #2 pitcher. 1 deal included Wacha and the other deal included Flaherty. I liked the St Louis deals better(more pitching) but the SF isn't bad
                  Wacha or Flaherty shouldn't even be close. I would really hope the Marlins would opt for Flaherty over Wacha.

Comment

I think the most value they'll get on Straily is at the deadline. That's when teams in the hunt overpay for a pitcher like him. The problem with that is if his play falls off a bit before then. If the best they can get for him is essentially what we gave up for him, though, I'd take the chance and wait.

- - - - - - - - - -

Wacha or Flaherty shouldn't even be close. I would really hope the Marlins would opt for Flaherty over Wacha.
                    Again has to do with $$$$. Less money we had to pay the worse we get. But ya both St Louis deals were better than SF AND now St Louis/Miami have a framework already for an Ozuna deal

Why u think I had been saying Flaherty for the past month? It wasn't a big secret

At least u believe the St Louis Dispatch
                    Sources have indicated to the Post-Dispatch that a handful of pitching prospects had been discussed and that the Cardinals wanted to keep Jordan Hicks and Alex Reyes out of the deal, if possible. Luke Weaver has a spot in the team’s rotation

As the article said and the other guy said they like Jose Martinez(was before they got Cooper tho and no havent heard if they still want him) Martinez is 29 and 1B/Corner OF
                    Last edited by tjfla; 12-05-2017, 02:29 PM.

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

I think Straily would have the most value in like mid january, kinda similar to when we got him last year. Id be wary of letting him pitch until the deadline. He seems like a guy who could blow up at any second into a below average pitcher and i wouldnt be surprised to see that happen. Id rather just deal him after free agency when a team wants to shore up their rotation. I think he ends up in Milwaukee.

- - - - - - - - - -

And ya, if the choice is between Wacha or Flaherty, go flaherty 101 times out of 100. Even if there is more risk there. This entire offseason should be about getting cost controlled pitching that we have for 5-6 years.

Comment

• None of this makes me "ecstatic." This is all simply the result of being the worst run team in baseball for the past decade. We're trading the BEST power hitter in the game, and the best player we might be getting back is an 18-year old OF'er. I hate Loria.

Comment

• Not gonna get into the St Louis deal because pretty much 0 percent chance but are 2 offers

1 are led by Wacha/Alcantara and has us sending less cash
                          2 are led by Flaherty/Alcantara and has us sending more cash and Ziegler too

Dont remember which one but one of them had us getting like 6 players back

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                            Not gonna get into the St Louis deal because pretty much 0 percent chance but are 2 offers

1 are led by Wacha/Alcantara and has us sending less cash
                            2 are led by Flaherty/Alcantara and has us sending more cash and Ziegler too

Dont remember which one but one of them had us getting like 6 players back
                            id guess the one with flaherty does because we're sending more cash, a second player, and not getting back any established major leaguers (unless Piscotty or Grichuk are involved)

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                              None of this makes me "ecstatic." This is all simply the result of being the worst run team in baseball for the past decade. We're trading the BEST power hitter in the game, and the best player we might be getting back is an 18-year old OF'er. I hate Loria.
                              An 18 yr old who was our 2nd/3rd choice in the draft LY. If Trevor Rogers wasn't there we likely would have taken Heliot Ramos

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post

At least u believe the St Louis Dispatch
                                Sources have indicated to the Post-Dispatch that a handful of pitching prospects had been discussed and that the Cardinals wanted to keep Jordan Hicks and Alex Reyes out of the deal, if possible. Luke Weaver has a spot in the team’s rotation

As the article said and the other guy said they like Jose Martinez(was before they got Cooper tho and no havent heard if they still want him) Martinez is 29 and 1B/Corner OF
                                Right. That was the article I was referring to. Even with Flaherty in that deal, it would have to be more solid parts to beat the deal Mish laid out from SF. If it's Alcantara and Wacha, it would seemingly have to be significantly more.

Comment

Working...
                                X