Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denbo also is looking to hit the DFA/Waiver market hard to add more talent

Guys who are DFA possible are Graves/Nola/Needy/Nicolino/Telis while we only need 2 or 3 spots(SVS/Adames/Turner). Which means we can look for 2 or 3 guys

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      We still want a vet SP but aren't going nuts over it. Issue we had with Nolasco was the opt out date.

FO either wants a guy ready for ML like Hellickson/Ubaldo or a guy who is willing to spend time in minors like Jacob Turner

Also don't forget Graves and Elieser have to be on the ML roster all year. Graves is likely gone but Elieser looks to be staying for now

If Conley doesn't make rotation dont be surprised if they give him a look in the pen before getting rid of him. He was a closer in college and the FO still remembers Brad Hand. O'Grady has options
      Totally. Don't forget guys like Hatcher, Dayton, and Dyson also. The old regime just gave away impactful relievers left and right. Koehler is going to be good this year watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
        Totally. Don't forget guys like Hatcher, Dayton, and Dyson also. The old regime just gave away impactful relievers left and right. Koehler is going to be good this year watch.
        Not sure how good. Koehler is hurt and looks to be bad

We suck at developing SP but I will say RP we have no problems with at all. Miami has like 7 LHR in the Majors and NONE are with us. The one guy we traded for is terrible

- - - - - - - - - -

If Jeff didn't wanna be Jerry Jones we could have a rotation of

Rodon or Nola/Urena/Castillo/Martes/?
        Last edited by tjfla; 03-08-2018, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Not sure how good. Koehler is hurt and looks to be bad

We suck at developing SP but I will say RP we have no problems with at all. Miami has like 7 LHR in the Majors and NONE are with us. The one guy we traded for is terrible
          Didn't see he was hurt, just saw he ended last year great in the pen. Which all of us knew was going to happen. This is why I'm cautiously optimistic about the new regime - as the Yankees bullpen is un-fucking-believably-awesome. They get it.

It's fine to let Guzman, Alcantara, Garcia, Merandy, Gallen, Richards, etc. start the year, but I suspect bullpen decisions are coming and these guys won't dick around moving a guy to the pen. It's not a punishment as the last regime saw. Some guys are just relievers. Let Miller and Hand go to the pen and become world beaters.

Comment

Didn't see he was hurt, just saw he ended last year great in the pen. Which all of us knew was going to happen. This is why I'm cautiously optimistic about the new regime - as the Yankees bullpen is un-fucking-believably-awesome. They get it.

It's fine to let Guzman, Alcantara, Garcia, Merandy, Gallen, Richards, etc. start the year, but I suspect bullpen decisions are coming and these guys won't dick around moving a guy to the pen. It's not a punishment as the last regime saw. Some guys are just relievers. Let Miller and Hand go to the pen and become world beaters.
            Ya anterior capsule strain

Agreed 2020 staff could be very nice(Just guys IN system now)

Rotation-FA?/Alcantara/Garcia/Gallen,Richards,Lopez,Neidert,Peters
            Pen-Wittgren/Yamamoto/Merandy/Steckenrider/Guzman

AA-Garrett/Rogers/Roberson/#13 Pick/Cabrera(ALL will be 22/23 yrs old)

Comment

Ya anterior capsule strain

Agreed 2020 staff could be very nice(Just guys IN system now)

Rotation-FA?/Alcantara/Garcia/Gallen,Richards,Lopez,Neidert,Peters
              Pen-Wittgren/Yamamoto/Merandy/Steckenrider/Guzman

AA-Garrett/Rogers/Roberson/#13 Pick/Cabrera(ALL will be 22/23 yrs old)
              Think we got to wait until August 1st for this conversation. 4 months of the guys in the system this year, plus the probably 10 new pitchers being added from 2018 draft/IFA/trade returns could change the board dramatically.

Regardless, I still don't see a # 1 or # 2 starter here, but I feel pretty confident they will get a good 10 pitchers out of this to fill out the rest of the staff for a long time. Here's to landing a stud # 1 in 2019 and having money to sign someone for $150 million in 2020/2021.

Comment

Think we got to wait until August 1st for this conversation. 4 months of the guys in the system this year, plus the probably 10 new pitchers being added from 2018 draft/IFA/trade returns could change the board dramatically.

Regardless, I still don't see a # 1 or # 2 starter here, but I feel pretty confident they will get a good 10 pitchers out of this to fill out the rest of the staff for a long time. Here's to landing a stud # 1 in 2019 and having money to sign someone for $150 million in 2020/2021.
                Very true which is why said in system now. Will be ALOT different by Aug 1

Should have Top 3 Pick in 2019 and VERY SUPER EARLY Top Guys are

HS SS Bobby Witt Jr
                College SP Zack Thompson
                College SP Nick Lodolo
                College SP Tyler Dyson

We also will have 2 picks from#35-45. So 3 of First 45 Picks in 2019

If plan plays out they should have 40 million for FA in 2020 for #1 SP and maybe vet SS or C?
                Last edited by tjfla; 03-08-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• I disagree that we dont have a #1 or #2 in the system as of right now. I think there are 4 different guys who could potentially become one as of now and others who could surprise. I could see Rogers, Garrett, alcantara (#2), or Guzman potentially becoming top of the rotation guys. Plus we've acquired so many different SP prospects who could surprise us.

Comment

• I don't see any potential aces in the bunch, hopefully I'm wrong.

With that being said there's probably only 10-12 legit aces in the entire league right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                      I don't see any potential aces in the bunch, hopefully I'm wrong.

With that being said there's probably only 10-12 legit aces in the entire league right now.
                      Aces I agree, I should clarify that i meant top of the rotation type guys as in #1 or #2. I think we have a few of those guys potentially as well as a bunch of back end rotation guys who might be able to surprise.

Comment

• We released Hunter Cervenka fucking finally. a trade that made no sense at the time finally is done.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                          We released Hunter Cervenka fucking finally. a trade that made no sense at the time finally is done.
                          Who'd we trade for him? I don't remember.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                            Who'd we trade for him? I don't remember.
                            Michael Mader and Anfernee Seymour I believe. not great prospects but still traded 2 prospects from an already shitty system for a lefty reliever who was literally never godo at any point.

Comment

• Those prospects could never make it to the big leagues (and they probably won't) and we still lost that trade.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                                Those prospects could never make it to the big leagues (and they probably won't) and we still lost that trade.
                                agreed. just a stupid overall philosophy in making that trade.

Comment

Working...
                                X